1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter 1, Part III. How are currencies traded in the FOREX market? Page 2

Discussion in 'Complete Trading Education- Forex Military School' started by Sive Morten, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sive Morten

Sive Morten Special Consultant to the FPA

Commander in Pips: Outstanding! That’s an excellent association. I see that you’re starting to have a real knack for all this stuff.

Now to your second question about “all possible pairs”. Here are three currencies – GBP, USD and EUR. How many pairs can you create with them?

Pipruit: Let’s see… we already know pairs like USD/USD or EUR/EUR do not make any sense, so I suppose that we can create only three pairs – EUR/USD, GBP/USD and EUR/GBP. Also we can make reverse pairs, such as USD/EUR, for example, but this will be the same pair as EUR/USD. The only difference will be that it will show how many Euros I should pay for 1 buck, instead of initially how much bucks I should pay for 1 EUR. If, for example EUR/USD rate is 1.35, then USD/EUR is 1/1.35 or about 0.74. It means that I should pay about 0.74 EUR for 1 buck.​

Commander in Pips: Very good! Indeed, FOREX does not have both EUR/USD and USD/EUR pairs simultaneously. This is because they are, in fact, identical. Ok, let’s add one more currency, say, CAD. What pairs can you create now?

Pipruit: It’s a simple task. I just have to add just pairs that include CAD. EUR/USD, GBP/USD and EUR/GBP we have already, so I need to add USD/CAD, EUR/CAD and GBP/CAD.
    Commander in Pips: Right you are. So, do you understand now, what I mean with “all possible pairs”?
    Pipruit: Yes sir, now it looks clear. But how many pairs exist in total? And are there any differences with trading them?​

Commander in Pips: There are a lot of pairs. Generally speaking, all pairs can be put into one of three groups – Majors, Crosses and Exotic.

Pipruit: Yes, we’ve talked about Majors previously. They are USD, EUR, GBP, CAD, JPY, AUD and NZD.​

Commander in Pips: Not quite. We’ve talked about “Major currencies” and now we’re discussing “Major pairs”. It’s not exactly the same.

Pipruit: What’s the difference, sir?​

#1 Sive Morten, Dec 14, 2013
    Lasted edited by : Feb 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.