1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter 11, Part V. Using Moving Averages. Displaced MA. - Q&A

Discussion in 'Complete Trading Education- Forex Military School' started by Administrator, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Administrator

Administrator Just Administrator :-)

Please use this thread for questions, answers, and comments on this lesson.

2. Benjamin Lam

Benjamin Lam Recruit

Displaced MA

Hi Commander,
    Read the lesson on Displaced MA but confused. On the MT4 platform under Indicators-Moving Average, we can only find SIMPLE_EXPONENTIAL_SMOOTHED n LINEAR WEIGHTED but cant find DISPLACED MA.
    Also whai is the meaning of "Yes, both MA are 7-period MA, but red one was displaced forward for 5 periods:"? Does this DISPLACEMENT mean filling in the "SHIFT" box of the MOVING AVERAGE box?
    "- If you want to shift (displace) MA forward – you should enter positive number. In our example we’ve shifted
    7-period SMA for 5 period forward;
    - If you want to shift (displace) MA backward – you should enter negative number."
    does this mean, say, positive # is 5 n negative # is minus 5?
    Tks.

3. Sive Morten

Sive Morten Special Consultant to the FPA

Yes, on both questions.
    You have to fill "Shift" field in MT4 MA, and what type to use - simple, exp, or smoothed - this is quite different parameter. In our examples we use simple displaced MA.
    So, if you want in MT4 build 7x5 DMA, you need choose 7-period, shift =5, type - simple.

4. jmcl

jmcl Private

Lots to study

Hi Commander

Thanks for ALL this valuable information.

Just interest to know what platform are you using in the examples?

My concentration is more focused now after studying the insets here.

Regards

John from Durban

5. Sive Morten

Hi Jonh,
    this is CQG trading platform. It rather expensive, so it make sense to use it, if your rather successful trader and your assets somewhere 100K+
    This is one from "Big three" - Bloombers, Reuters and CQG. But among all of them - only CQG has full DiNapoli indicators pack

6. Amon Mitch

Amon Mitch Recruit

Dear Sir,

Doesn't the use of Smoothed MA (MT4 Platform) do a better job of reducing the whipsaws?

I mean a comparison between 7x5 SMA and 7x0 SMMA (Smoothed Moving Average)

Thank you

7. Sive Morten

Hi Amon,
    let me know this :)

Using smooth MA, exponential or simple without displacing, still will be significantly different from displaced one.
    But, it's very personal. Still, SMMA will be closer to SMA than to DMA. From that point of view, it hardly will be better than DMA.

8. jmcl

jmcl Private

Thanks Sive

I am not there yet, but learning hard

John from Durban

9. FOREXHAWK

FOREXHAWK Private

hi Sive

I have just aquired Metatrader 4 and revisited your lesson on DMA's having placed a 7sma and 7x5sma. The end of both averages give the same reading on the EUr/US chat for 1day. I can clearly see that your example shows the displaced SMA being slkightly higher th the SMA. the readings are 1.37112 on the displaced and normal SMA this is trending down with cadles retracing back from a swing low at 1.35008

Could you please advise me why this has occured am I doing something wrong

10. Sive Morten

Hi Hawk.
    It's a bit dufficult to understand only by speaking about it. COuld you please attach the chart and parameters of MA's that you've plotted.
    DMA and SMA should have the same last number, since DMA is just horizon parallel shifting of SMA for some period forward or backward.