1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter 22, Part I. Cross Pair – What the Beast is That? Page 2

Discussion in 'Complete Trading Education- Forex Military School' started by Sive Morten, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sive Morten

Sive Morten Special Consultant to the FPA

Let’s refresh on how to calculate crosses. We have discussed it in early chapters already, but you may have forgotten that, so now you will have a chance to remember. Also it will be useful if you want to understand how it works in detail.

Cross Rate Calculation

Let’s suppose that we want to calculate AUD/CHF rate. What pairs we have to apply to do that?

Pipruit: And what we can do to reduce the probability of such losses?​

Commander in Pips: The most common approach to this is to use not just one but two MAs on the chart.

Pipruit: Anyway, I suppose that have the same common currency. Simplest answer is USD, and it may be better to use particularly US dollar due to the better liquidity of major pairs. But, I suspect that AUD/GBP and GBP/CHF also could be used for the purpose, since in this case both pairs again have a common denominator that could be used to “link” this pairs in cross rate.​

Commander in Pips: Very good. You’re right that using of USD is preferable, since we will use major pairs, such AUD/USD and USD/CHF. The bid/ask spread is tighter with major pairs; hence you will get sharper number for AUD/CHF using them. Applying for that purpose other crosses, you will include larger bid/ask spread twice, since you will calculate cross pair via other cross pairs. So we will use the first way.

Let’s assume that AUD/USD bid/ask price is 1.0679/1.0680, and USD/CHF is 0.8091/0.8092.

So, to get bid for AUD/CHF you just need to multiply the bid AUD/USD by the bid USD/CHF:
    1.0679*0.8091 = 0.8640

To get ask price for AUD/CHF you just need to multiply the ask AUD/USD by the ask USD/CHF:
    1.0680*0.8092 = 0.8642

So, our quote for

AUD/CHF is 0.8640/0.8642

Pipruit: Bingo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.