1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chapter 5, Part I. Where does the money come from in FOREX? Page 5

Discussion in 'Complete Trading Education- Forex Military School' started by Sive Morten, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sive Morten

Sive Morten Special Consultant to the FPA

Pipruit: Sir, I do not quite understand where the profit on a Short position comes from. It’s clear on Long positions – buy, wait until the price has risen, then sell at higher price and profit in your pocket. With short positions it’s not so clear.​

Commander in Pips: Ok, I’ll show you this on the chart…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pipruit: Wait a minute, it looks like I’m understanding it now. When my initial trade is “Sell”, in anticipation of a decrease in the exchange rate it is called a “Short”. I make money on the falling of the exchange rate. With “Long”, it is much simpler - it’s just a common trade Buy cheaper and Sell “at or better”.​

Commander in Pips: You’re absolutely right – in a “Short” trade you make money on a decreasing of the rate, in a “Long” trade – on its increasing.

Pipruit: Commander, also I’ve heard something about Bull and Bear markets and trades. Can you explain that?​

Commander in Pips: Oh yes, don’t worry too much about it. A growing market (prices rising) is often named as a “Bull market”, a falling one as a “Bear market”. So, very often, opening “Long” positions can also be called opening “Bullish” positions. A “Short” one is named as “Bearish position”.

And the last small topic for today –

How to read the quote board?

Ok, look at the picture below. This is a very typical quote board of a typical FX broker – what can you tell me about the data that it shows?

Pipruit: Let’s see. Well, I see quotes for different pairs. Bid price and Ask price. Looks like we’ve discussed them earlier, but I forget all the details. These prices are different. I assume that the color stripe shows dynamic of the pair through the trading day – green line means appreciation of the rate, i.e. base currency, red line – depreciation, yellow means flat or near flat price action.

EXAMPLE OF A BROKER’S QUOTE BOARD

[​IMG]

#1 Sive Morten, Dec 14, 2013
    Lasted edited by : Feb 7, 2016
    Nachoga and fran alvarez like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.