FOREX PRO WEEKLY, February 12-16, 2018

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals

So, today probably we do not need to invent any subject for discussion as everybody on market tells about it. Yes, I'm talking on collapse that has happened on the markets within last two weeks. There are different understanding of this event among traders. Some people start to speak about panic and tell that "everything is lost" and this is an end. Others talk that this was just negative occasional combination of different factors in one point - too strong anticipation of hawkish steps from ECB and BoJ and too large bets against dollar. Simultaneous drop as in stocks as in US yields that has trigger first stage of collapse. So a lot of talks about reasons but just few on consequences. What will be next?

I think that we need to take a look at some facts. This let's us easier to understand what to expect. First, let's start from US fundamental data. Indeed, major numbers look very good as forecasts do either. NFP data, GDP, Inflation. You can't just ignore this. Major driving factor here is inflation of course, as traders fear of more aggressive steps by Fed. Indeed, - wage growth data stands at 2.9% YoY basis. On the chart you also see predefined target of this possible uptrend. It stands in 3.5-4% range.
US Wage_growth.png

Now take a look at 10-year bond yields and our forecast. This is first target and it stands around 3.3%. We also have extended target here (not shown) which points on 4.7%
UST_10_29_01_18.png

Now let's take a look at anticipation of 5 year inflation by markets:
fredgraph_5y_5y_inflation.png

Long term yields mostly response and show anticipation of inflation rate while short-term ones stand in tight relation with Fed rate. Combining all these data we have stronger Wage growth, stronger anticipation of inflation, rally in long-term yields and positive data. This is not just short-term spike in data. Growth stands since the middle of 2017. Process stands under way and it is matched to second stage of economy cycle. It calls Inflationary growth stage, when signs of inflation becomes stronger and central banks start to rise rates.
First period of growth calls "non-inflationary growth" when economy has turned to uptrend while signs of inflation still stand weak. This is gold time for equities. Now it seems that this stage is over. While inflation pressure becomes stronger - stock market starts to feel more pressure as from bond yields, since they become more attractive for investments as in earning results of companies as borrowing cost of capital is rising and business becomes more expensive.
Here guys, we could meet Pandora box. Because in time of "easy money" from the Fed in QE1-QE3 a lot of liquidity where put in shares buyback. This artificially have increased earnings per share ratio and led to further stock growth without any improvement in fundamentals. Many companies borrowed a lot in period of zero rates. Currently it is difficult to foresee what really could happen, when companies will start unwind this...
That's being said, as bond yields get more attractive, this puts extra pressure onto equity markets as investors can get a safer yield in credit.

Now is to stock market. In general, drop was not a record. It was two times smaller than in 2008 and there are at least 20 drops exist in 2 decades when one day decrease was greater. But...
By Reuters service - Equity funds saw their coffers shrink $23.9 billion for the fund-flows week ended Wednesday, February 7, 2018. This number represented the largest one-week net outflows since Thomson Reuters Lipper started tracking fund-flows data (1992) and the largest since the global financial crisis (-$22.6 billion for the fund-flows week ended June 25, 2008).
It is difficult to say either that this is just short-term correction. Eight major indexes stands at all time highs while others are coiling nearby. Before retirement, Yellen has given assessment of stock market to CNBC channel:

"Well, I don't want to say too high. But I do want to say high," she said. "Price/earnings ratios are near the high end of their historical ranges."
In addition to elevated equity prices, Yellen also said commercial real estate is "quite high" compared with rents.
"Now, is that a bubble or is too high? And there it's very hard to tell. But it is a source of some concern that asset valuations are so high," she said.

We also have warned last week about VIX index that was at absolute lows for considerable time and this was a silence before the storm. Jump in volatility was outstanding, so that Credit Suisse said on Tuesday it will shutter the VelocityShares Daily Inverse VIX Short-Term ETN, likely leaving holders with just pennies on the dollar. This fund has got hit for 90% by VIX spike:
VIX.png

So, what to expect further? Is this really an end for stock market? Well, I think we should not be too radical in our judgement. Yes, my opinion is - this is starting of reversal point for stock market. But now we stand not in crisis, as it was in 2008. This is not run to quality and run for liquidity. This is just rebalancing of trading portfolios, changing of priority.
That's why, this process will not be just in down direction. Stock market definitely will show a lot of flat action and deep pullbacks before major trend will change. Here is my major picture to show you. This is monthly chart of european DAX index. It looks a bit messy, but idea is quite simple. DAX has completed two major XOP targets in one point. One of them is all-time XOP. Even 3/8 retracement, which is normal behavior suggests drop for 3000-4000 points right to neckline of large H&S pattern here. If you will take a look in the circle - here you will find "puny" weekly H&S as well. It could put the start for this collapse.
DAX.png

At the same time, as you can see this action could last for 5 years or even longer. This is really big picture. As I said there will be a lot of pullbacks in this process and first one should start within 1-2 weeks as weekly pattern will start to form right shoulder.
In general right now S&P yield is higher than bond market - 4.1% vs. 2.8%. Average 10 year spread stands around 3.2% So stocks now are still more profitable than bonds. But as process will accelerate, pressure on stock market will increase.

That' being said - just taking in consideration real facts we've estimated - inflation anticipation is growing in US, stock market overheat as fundamentally as by assessment of Fed chairmen. Technically market stands at all-time objective target. This makes us think that odds stand not in favor of stock market rally continuation and indeed could point on start of major trend changing.

Speaking on FX market and EUR in particular - ongoing process just confirms our view - recent rally was not based on anything else but anticipations and expectations and we warned about this. Now when euphoria smoke melted away - is a time to re-establish status-quo.

COT Report

Recent CFTC data starts to show changing in sentiment. Last two months we've talked that EUR speculative positions stand at absolute highs and sooner or later - this should become a barrier for further growth, retracement should happen.
Now we see that first shorts are coming on market - net long position has decreased slightly
Source: Oanda.com
upload_2018-2-10_13-10-45.png

Techincal
Monthly

So, as we've estimated, EUR stands at rather strong resistance area - monthly K-resistance 1.2516-1.26, accompanied by YPR1 @ 1.2617 area. Retracement indeed is ripping and we start to reap first fruits of this action. At least now we see clear response, even on monthly chart.

Besides, many other markets across the board forms reversal formations on daily chart, also after extended rallies. For example, on NZD we have DRPO "Sell".

Add here sentiment situation with highly saturated long positions and you will get perfect area for retracement. At least this is definitely not an area for long entry, if you're a long-term trader. For short-term traders it is possible to take long positions but with profit objectives around previous top and not count on upside breakout.

Dollar Index, in turn stands at oversold and monthly 5/8 Fib support. So, most conservative retracement target is 1.20-1.21 area. This correction will be painless for overall bullish picture.
Finally, another interesting detail, guys - actually EUR has completed upside harmonic retracement..
eur_m_12_02_18.png

Weekly

This chart we use to estimate different scenarios and depth of retracement.

Weekly charts in fact shows two possible scenarios of retracement. First is light scenario - just minor response to butterfly by 3/8 retracement to 1.21 Fib support. Second is heavy scenario, if butterfly will become a part of H&S pattern. Between this scenarios could be the chance for H&S failure. In this case EUR could re-test long-term 1.16 support but then will turn to new highs.

As you understand right now we're mostly interested in 1.21 scenario.

Last week's result is clear "Evening star" candlestick pattern that is formed right at top of butterfly pattern and weekly OS. Common target of this pattern is the length of its bars. It means that downside action should get a continuation, which means that 1.21 area should be hit with high probability.
eur_w_12_02_18.png

Daily

As we've talked a lot about daily picture last week. Now we even keep short position on DXY in anticipation of B&B trade and deep retracement, today I'll show you a bit different picture, which seems interesting.

Here is favorite 50% EUR level - 1.2050, which coincides with Monthly Pivot Support 1 and former top. Most probable scenario that we will get a kind of AB-CD downside action:
eur_d_12_02_18.png

As you understand, trading subject for coming week is minor upside action which should be "BC" leg.

Intraday

Although we've talked about taking short position on DXY even on Wed, action just can't get started as EUR still can't finally reach major XOP target. As EUR takes more than 50% of DXY, it keeps Dollar index from action.
As you can see our warning about another leg down on Friday was correct. Indeed, despite that in the morning picture has shown lovely diamond pattern but as usual, it was fake diamond ;)
Here just one step separates us from starting upward action on EUR. So, if you do not like DXY trade - you could think about using of 4-hour butterfly at major XOP target to go long...Upside potential should be significant - somewhere 100-150 pips, so market could re-test "B" point lows around 50%-5/8 Fib level.
eur_4h_12_02_18.png

Conclusion:

Although we indeed think that major trends in global economy are changing, we do not support panic rumors on collapse. In long-term perspective more reasonable and fair assessment of EUR/USD balance should come, which should lead to moderate retracement on weekly/monthly charts.

On coming week we count to see upside action on EUR that should be 1/2-5/8 retracement of whole downside action.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Last edited:
sure no panic, so far S&P 500 is only correcting , tss… 2009 some 680 points shortly it nearly hit 3000 points, no need to start selling the usd yet :)

Greeting guys,

Today we speak on GBP as our EUR setup stands under way and doesn't need any update yet. Besides, you have asked me a lot about Cable.

The core of GBP situation mostly the same as on DXY and EUR - weekly resistance, reversal pattern and OB and fast and deep action on daily which pushed price in OS area. That's why conclusion here is the same - upside deep retracement first on daily and downside continuation second, on weekly.

On daily chart I show you the picture of perfect scenario that I would like to follow. 1.37 level is a key. Here we have K-area, OS, MPS1 and AB-CD major XOP target. If GBP will get there -bingo, we will get chance to go long. So, as you understand, major concern is whether it will reach it or not.
gbp_d_13_02_18.png

I think that chances are not bad. Yes, mostly GBP shows tight action with EUR and DXY, but there we expect action against USD, while here, on GBP we want downside continuation. Personally, I do not know how it could happen, but most probable is some spike on some data, may be. But from the other side - I do not care how, I just do know that if market will get there - I'm in.

On 4-hour chart GBP starts upward action but I think this is not yet the action that we need. Usually Cable shows furious behavior as soon as it has cought the trend, but here is not the case yet.
If I will be right, we could get butterfly "Buy" pattern which put the starting point of our trade. In larger scale we also could get big "222" Buy" pattern here.
gbp_4h_13_02_18.png

Morning guys,

So, let's go back to EUR... Our trading plan worked perfect and EUR stands near target right now - deep 5/8 retracement that we've traded is mostly completed.

But, this is not the end yet. As you know we have long-played trading plan here. First we've traded EUR down to 1.22 area, now we're finishing trading of deep upside retracement. Final move of our scenario is a second leg of downside retracement. Yes, due to the picture that we see as on EUR as on DXY, taking in consideration fundamental issues, we think that a kind of AB-CD down is highly probable in current circumstances.
Daily trend stands bearish, so we just need to get appropriate context for going short again:
eur_d_14_02_18.png

Today guys very active session as in a few minutes we will get Germany GDP data, a bit later EU GDP and, finally on US session - Inflation and Retail sales, most important statistics by current moment.

On 4-hour chart I think that our entry point should appear somewhere around 1.24-1.2435 area. This is solid resistance cluster - Fib level, WPR1, COP target.
eur_4h_14_02_18.png

At the same time, it could be very painful - trying to anticipate reversal. Here we should follow more careful entry technique. I suppose, we should wait as for clear reversal pattern and touching of major targets as forming of reversal swing down before entry.

On hourly chart EUR has hit XOP target , but nothing "reversal" has been formed yet... So let's wait for data and see what new inputs we will get.

eur_1h_14_02_18.png

Good morning,

Well, yesterday's EUR action (and other assets) were really dramatic. Although yesterday we've agreed to wait for upside continuation to COP target around 1.24-1.2435, but definitely, we were waiting for it not by reasons that we've got yesterday.
Actually I said that EUR should climb a bit more yesterday just because DXY has not reached major 5/8 level. As we had perfect B&B trade there, this level has to be met. In a result, indeed we have this upward action EUR, but backround of this action is different and it doesn't match to our trading plan...
Market has shown irrational behavior as inflation data was mostly positive and now nobody could explain clearly fast action against statistics few hours later. There are too many opinions.

So whatever reason of this action was, technically this is a waiting time. Theoretically we can't go long yet on daily as trend still stands bearish, market is near OB and weekly bearish patterns are still valid. To change our context we need to wait at least for trend shifiting, but better is for upside breakout either.
eur_d_15_02_18.png

On 4-hour chart theoretically we have bearish "222" Sell pattern. But personally I do not want to take it. First is - too fast action on CD leg, second - unclear reasons as EUR has shown irrational behavior by moving against statistics. (may be market was unsatisfied with numbers as short-term US yields also have dropped).
eur_4h_15_02_18.png

On hourly chart we also do not have any reversal patterns on top. Upside momentum is very strong. So, may be market will show some retracement to one of Fib levels, but currently we do not have clear bearish signs here.
eur_1h_15_02_18.png

So, it seems that on daily we just need to wait, while on intraday charts, some trading is possible as momentum and trends stand bullish. We just need to wait for appropriate setup, some deep to buy probably...

Good morning,

So, our suspicions were not in vain and it seems indeed - situation on EUR and DXY has changed drastically as price has moved above previous top. Market right now stands at daily OB, so it is not time to buy yet, but daily context has turned to bullish - trend has changed, major bearish patterns have been erased...

We will take a look at EUR tomorrow, in our weekly research. Today, I want to show you setup on CAD. It is also might be interesting.
By the end of the week, guys, we should get bearish grabber that suggests drop at least to 1.2250 area. At the same time, taking in consideration all this stuff with US dollar and Crude oil - drop could be significantly stronger. Appearing of the grabber here looks irrational as market stands in final stage of reverse H&S pattern where bulls should control situation. Recent USD drop has broken a lot of major setups and it seems that loonie is not an exception... So, current fundamental background increases chances that this grabber could work...
cad_w_16_02_18.png

At the same time, we have some tricky moment here as on daily chart we have another reverse H&S pattern, that stands in contradiction with the grabber. So, one of them should fail...
cad_d_16_02_18.png

Anyway today is not the moment yet for taking any position. Our task here is to wait, when 4-hour XOP target will be hit and CAD will reach 1.2416 major Fib level and Agreement. Then we will watch for bounce up, where we will decide whether to go short or not, depending on how upside action will develop and what patterns will be formed there.
Scalp traders could think about long positions up from 1.2416 Agreement area, if there will be sufficient context for that, bullish patterns, at least...
cad_4h_16_02_18.png

Hi, 2 hours before the weekly close Euro is reversing on the day! We have Daily Stop Grabber at overbought. 1.22 next, and then lower IMO.Today close below 1.2430 is important
Daily.jpg

It's a beautiful buying butterfly on usdjpy a huge one 127%@ 105.18

If you like I will share
Hi Lolly, sure - put it here!
Hi, 2 hours before the weekly close Euro is reversing on the day! We have Daily Stop Grabber at overbought. 1.22 next, and then lower IMO.Today close below 1.2430 is important
Yeah. I also was really surprised by this action. EUR is a kind of gift box on this week...

Back