• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Problem Option FM - a dangerous scam

I am having an issue with a company

David Kelly

Recruit
My wife signed up with OptionFM in late April . On the 13th May their so-called expert personal trader conned her into depositing $20k , then during a short trading session they succeeded in losing her $20k in a matter of a few minutes, after my wife had urged her personal trader to stop trading. To her horror, even without managing to place a bid during that session her balance dropped to about $1k within a few minutes. Even although she was distraught after the event, their 'recovery expert' tried to urge her to withdraw a further $30k to try to recover the lost $20k ! My wife's personal trader later stated that a colleague had illegally accessed his computer and wrongfully directed or performed the actions which emptied my wife's balance so rapidly. After several strong emails demanding an explanation , one of the managers phoned my wife to ostensibly offer an explanation to her allegations of gross irregularities. He denied all the allegations saying on each occasion ‘ no such thing happened’ , even accusing her of being a gambler. There was not an ounce of compassion or apology from the man . Instead he exhibited extreme anger and arrogance. He even suggested that it was my wife’s fault that she signed up for ‘robot’ software – which he outright disowned – the same software which my wife’s ‘personal trader’ confidently and enthusiastically endorsed as he advised her with her trades. We believe that not only are they dishonest and unethical but also very dangerous. People be warned ! If you go near this company unwittingly you could be facing financial ruin. It took my wife many days to come to terms with the loss of funds as well as the emotional trauma of dealing with this company.

Go ahead and invite them to join the thread, Send them invitation via email or live Chat.

My wife signed up with OptionFM in late April . On the 13th May their so-called expert personal trader conned her into depositing $20k , then during a short trading session they succeeded in losing her $20k in a matter of a few minutes, after my wife had urged her personal trader to stop trading. To her horror, even without managing to place a bid during that session her balance dropped to about $1k within a few minutes. Even although she was distraught after the event, their 'recovery expert' tried to urge her to withdraw a further $30k to try to recover the lost $20k ! My wife's personal trader later stated that a colleague had illegally accessed his computer and wrongfully directed or performed the actions which emptied my wife's balance so rapidly. After several strong emails demanding an explanation , one of the managers phoned my wife to ostensibly offer an explanation to her allegations of gross irregularities. He denied all the allegations saying on each occasion ‘ no such thing happened’ , even accusing her of being a gambler. There was not an ounce of compassion or apology from the man . Instead he exhibited extreme anger and arrogance. He even suggested that it was my wife’s fault that she signed up for ‘robot’ software – which he outright disowned – the same software which my wife’s ‘personal trader’ confidently and enthusiastically endorsed as he advised her with her trades. We believe that not only are they dishonest and unethical but also very dangerous. People be warned ! If you go near this company unwittingly you could be facing financial ruin. It took my wife many days to come to terms with the loss of funds as well as the emotional trauma of dealing with this company.

Hi David
I can affirm OptionFM is dangerous and dishonest. I have phone records of repeated assurances by a senior account manager of "no risk" trading outcomes while he was soliciting money, followed by a trading session in which he directed every trade, that lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. What happened next was that he hid from contact for nearly six weeks. Then "recovery managers" (one of which had clearly been his supervisor) intervened, with the story that the account manager at fault, Don Michael, was naughty, had traded recklessly and had been supposedly "let go" from the trading floor and "heavily fined" for some misdemeanour(s). I believe he's still employed by the company. But they never recognised or wanted to admit to his malpractice and the consequence of that to a long term customer (and to others that I am aware of).

Ever since then, despite a formal dispute and claim, a complaint to their licensor (the IFSC in Belize), and months of exchanges, including conclusive audio records of the fraudulent misrepresentation of their account manager, they are evading their responsibility. The Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission indicates in one of its internet alerts that they don't even appear to operate from the Hong Kong address that they state to be their head office.

I have notified financial regulators in every country where they have a local "customer support" phone number, and am approaching fraud authorities myself, but if anyone else is mounting an international campaign or litigation, I can add a lot of evidence, and name names of those responsible for the initial fraud, and the subsequent conspiracy to avoid and delay their responsibility. The names are from the trading floor, the "recovery" department, the customer complaints team, the legal office, up to the "Deputy Vice President, Customer Relations". Beyond that, the CEO is clearly complicit, and if anyone can confirm beyond doubt that they do not operate from Hong Kong (I'm working on that), then every employee is complicit in the deceit.

Dear Noel,

I was flabbergasted by your email with the allegations against OptionFM . The behaviour of those people is deplorable to put it mildly. It happened in April/May of this year when we were living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The disasterous events and disturbing follow-up led my wife and I to a time of real financial hardship plus emotional stress. For a while I thought we were the only people in the world who had undergone such a disasterous experience at their hands but reasoned that because of the things they did and said, their attitude to us on the phone and their modus operandi I thought we couldn’t be alone . Your email today ,Noel gives me hope of seeing justice. I had given up any idea that restoration of funds due to their irregular behaviour could ever be a likely outcome, yet I felt obliged to try to warn any present or prospective client of the company to stay as far as possible away from them . I used to laugh to myself when I read the CEO’s remarks when he quotes – “To be truly ‘in the money’, we have to invest consistently and insistently, never giving up and never giving in, until we reach the ultimate goal – financial independence and wealth.’ “ Yes the ‘financial independence and wealth’ part is for him and his cronies at the expense of many hardworking duped people.

I already feel a form of kinship with you dear sir, because I know you have been in our position and possibly experienced some measure of the trauma that me and my wife have experienced. I started initially to try to air my grievances through one or more regulators but without initial success. I did intend to persist in the task longer but still haven’t got round to it. I am pleased to hear of the steps you are taking to deal with this and I would gladly offer my assistance to you if you deem that to be beneficial.

After our shocking experience with them I was curious to know if anyone had a similar misfortune with OptionFM. On many of the financial websites the reviews were largely inoccuous even supportive of the company , so I rapidly came to the conclusion that OptionFM were seeding the sites with their own agents. So as I began to read your letter , at first I didn’t have a great expectation, but as I continued I was astonished with your account of what happened. You would have clearly noticed the details of the disasterous transactions and the unethical behaviour of the individual traders , right down to the absurd excuse given by her trader about his errant colleague. My wife disagreed with my suggestion that I should publish the names of the employees involved with her business, in particular her immediate trader. She felt that he was an innocent bloke just caught up in the malpractice . I was very sure the guy was not only culpable but complicit or even directing the theft of the funds. They are even deplorable actors. Would you believe within seconds of the theft , the trader handed my wife over to their so-called ‘psychologist’. My initial thought was that this so-called ‘psychologist’ was on the payroll of the company intended to appear to give some legitimacy to their scurrilous and dishonest behaviour. Also they must have been expecting on a very regular basis to deal with the aftermath of their blatant dishonesty. Meanwhile the original trader took over again and claimed he would help my wife to ‘recover her funds’. As I listened to the conversation I could not believe what the guy was doing. He urged her to try to procure funds from any other bank account which she held. He didn’t exhort her to try to raise $5000 or even $10,000 but would you believe , $30000 ! Can you imagine the stupidity of the guy let alone the audacity ? That’s like running over you on the road and then stealing your wallet ! It would be a tragedy if someone out there were actually duped into paying out $50000 in just over an hour to such racketeers ! As we pondered during the days and weeks following the sordid episode I kept thinking those OptionFM people were probably on a regular basis managing to extort huge amounts of cash from people who would be tempted to fall for their dishonest dealings and outright lies. Yes they must have frequently rehearsed the story line about the aberrant trader or manager who conducted the false transactions and ‘been sacked’ . As I listened to this guy I knew that everything he was saying was fabricated . The personal trader’s name was Lucas Varela . My wife received an email from James Rivera outlining his methods to perform fund recovery. I believe their gross dishonesty is only exceeded by their ineptitude at disguising there flagrantly nefarious dealings with their clients.

I have all the emails and the computer records of the transactions which illustrate fairly clearly the nature of the fraudulent transactions. So thanks for your kind interest and good luck with your efforts to have this company brought to account,

David Kelly

Dear Noel,

I was flabbergasted by your email with the allegations against OptionFM . The behaviour of those people is deplorable to put it mildly. It happened in April/May of this year when we were living in Abu Dhabi, UAE. The disasterous events and disturbing follow-up led my wife and I to a time of real financial hardship plus emotional stress. For a while I thought we were the only people in the world who had undergone such a disasterous experience at their hands but reasoned that because of the things they did and said, their attitude to us on the phone and their modus operandi I thought we couldn’t be alone . Your email today ,Noel gives me hope of seeing justice. I had given up any idea that restoration of funds due to their irregular behaviour could ever be a likely outcome, yet I felt obliged to try to warn any present or prospective client of the company to stay as far as possible away from them . I used to laugh to myself when I read the CEO’s remarks when he quotes – “To be truly ‘in the money’, we have to invest consistently and insistently, never giving up and never giving in, until we reach the ultimate goal – financial independence and wealth.’ “ Yes the ‘financial independence and wealth’ part is for him and his cronies at the expense of many hardworking duped people.

I already feel a form of kinship with you dear sir, because I know you have been in our position and possibly experienced some measure of the trauma that me and my wife have experienced. I started initially to try to air my grievances through one or more regulators but without initial success. I did intend to persist in the task longer but still haven’t got round to it. I am pleased to hear of the steps you are taking to deal with this and I would gladly offer my assistance to you if you deem that to be beneficial.

After our shocking experience with them I was curious to know if anyone had a similar misfortune with OptionFM. On many of the financial websites the reviews were largely inoccuous even supportive of the company , so I rapidly came to the conclusion that OptionFM were seeding the sites with their own agents. So as I began to read your letter , at first I didn’t have a great expectation, but as I continued I was astonished with your account of what happened. You would have clearly noticed the details of the disasterous transactions and the unethical behaviour of the individual traders , right down to the absurd excuse given by her trader about his errant colleague. My wife disagreed with my suggestion that I should publish the names of the employees involved with her business, in particular her immediate trader. She felt that he was an innocent bloke just caught up in the malpractice . I was very sure the guy was not only culpable but complicit or even directing the theft of the funds. They are even deplorable actors. Would you believe within seconds of the theft , the trader handed my wife over to their so-called ‘psychologist’. My initial thought was that this so-called ‘psychologist’ was on the payroll of the company intended to appear to give some legitimacy to their scurrilous and dishonest behaviour. Also they must have been expecting on a very regular basis to deal with the aftermath of their blatant dishonesty. Meanwhile the original trader took over again and claimed he would help my wife to ‘recover her funds’. As I listened to the conversation I could not believe what the guy was doing. He urged her to try to procure funds from any other bank account which she held. He didn’t exhort her to try to raise $5000 or even $10,000 but would you believe , $30000 ! Can you imagine the stupidity of the guy let alone the audacity ? That’s like running over you on the road and then stealing your wallet ! It would be a tragedy if someone out there were actually duped into paying out $50000 in just over an hour to such racketeers ! As we pondered during the days and weeks following the sordid episode I kept thinking those OptionFM people were probably on a regular basis managing to extort huge amounts of cash from people who would be tempted to fall for their dishonest dealings and outright lies. Yes they must have frequently rehearsed the story line about the aberrant trader or manager who conducted the false transactions and ‘been sacked’ . As I listened to this guy I knew that everything he was saying was fabricated . The personal trader’s name was Lucas Varela . My wife received an email from James Rivera outlining his methods to perform fund recovery. I believe their gross dishonesty is only exceeded by their ineptitude at disguising there flagrantly nefarious dealings with their clients.

I have all the emails and the computer records of the transactions which illustrate fairly clearly the nature of the fraudulent transactions. So thanks for your kind interest and good luck with your efforts to have this company brought to account,

David Kelly
Hi David

YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I have noted a number of other OptionFM victims, with surprisingly similar stories of entrapment and loss, often followed by the intervention of a "recovery manager". While most of these are via Internet blogs that I cannot personally vouch for, (Googling "OptionFM scam" will get you to a few), I have also spoken personally with two victims, in different countries, who I would vouch for. Both lost what was to them a lot of money, at times in their life when they were vulnerable. I'm seeking others who can help bring this company to justice.

By the way, I suspect the individuals that we have dealt with may even have bogus names - if you try to Google them they don't seem to have an Internet presence. So my Don Michael, William Robbins, Peter Roman, Kelly (unusually, but not surprisingly with no surname) from the legal department and others might well morph into other names and personas. I have seen the name of Ross Smadja (Deputy VP, Customer Relations) on a document, so maybe he is genuine? But I've seen another employee, with a very straightforward "English" name who writes with a clearly Asian version of English - not impossible, but given this company's credentials, suspicious.

Let's keep in touch. Hopefully we will be able to bolster each other's cause.

For the UK, contact ActionFraud.

See if there's anywhere in UAE that allows you to file an online financial fraud complaint.

Hi David
It looks clear that OptionFM rejected your account of their misdemeanour. If you have presented a dispute / claim to them without an adequate response, I suggest you contact their licensor and ask for their support or intervention in your case. The International Financial Services Commission in Belize is their licensor (or rather, it licenses their companion / parent company BO Technologies Ltd, which is a shelf company registered in Belize). The Belize IFSC has helped other OptionFM investors who have been treated badly. These approaches aren't necessarily pain free, and may take time, but it may be the only leverage you have to recover some of your money without resort to legal action.

Also, I suggest you contact the UK ActionFraud agency, and your report may well support others who have submitted reports. ActionFraud appears mostly to be concerned with fraud events that are prosecuted from the UK, or in which the fraudulent transaction takes place in the UK. It's clear, despite the ambiguity of their real location (the serviced office managers of their Hong Kong address claim not to be aware of OptionFM, and deny their right to use that mailing address), they from time claim to operate from a London address, and they say they use a London-based company as their clearing and billing house. I don't know if you are a UK citizen, but that would probably help get ActionFraud's attention, even if the fraudulent transaction took place in Abu Dhabi.

It would be handy to get personal contact details to better exchange materials outside of this forum. I have information and reports I've made to a number of agencies, including ActionFraud, and I'm aware of others who unfortunately share similar experiences.

It's also a good idea to share all your documents and the complaint at eConsumer.gov

They share reports with police and regulators around the world. Post your report number here, so anyone else complaining can also reference it.

Back