• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Slippage, liqiudity and other fun things.

VStar

Private
My store begins with the horrible slippage that was suddenly happening with my broker . Where I was able to profit from the huge spikes that happened during announcement before to watching only the buy or ask line more 30, 40, or more pips.

They tried to just get me to go away with pat answers. I contacted my ISP and discussed Lag time issues. I bought a new computer.
Then finally they gave me the answer that liquidity is low during the summer months ? ( I really don't know how this can be with almost 4 trillion dollars changing hands every day. )

So then I went on to fight with my broker over the widening of spread. ( I'd really like to know if anyone else is seeing this at this time of year. My Broker is saying that people who are not seeing this have Market Makers for brokers .) Things like a sudden drop of 5 pips so the spread goes to 9 pips> NZD/USD,then, not changing till the price heads the other way. Stop losses being set for $351 but losing $1,325 !

Well here's the letter I just received and I thought this might be a good read for some, and maybe get some good comments.

The thing with spreads (at least, when trading through a genuine ECN/STP broker like ourselves) is that they represent the last Bid and Ask actually transacted, not what the next trade may be transacted at.

That's a prime difference between an ECN broker and a market maker.

If your friends are trading with other brokers then there are myriad reasons for them seeing different things - they may be trading with a market-maker (not all brokers admit to being MMs), their broker may be taking liquidity from a shallow pool, their broker might be relaying through another broker, their broker may have a slow feed, etc. - all of these things can affect trading conditions and, while they might seem helpful, they can also bite you in the backside. The forums are full of people shouting the praises of brokers for their tight spreads, non-existent slippage, etc., only to later post scam reports on FPA because they had profits recanted and/or were refused withdrawals.

As for our liquidity prices, they aren't seasonal - we get year-round deep-pool liquidity which works great for most people most of the time - we have some clients trading 250+ lots per position with no issues at all.

Our liquidity is provided from one of the deep pools at Integral so, under normal conditions, all majors and many minors have around 200 lots available at each point level but, since we are moving into the summer period, there is a noticeable thinning in that respect (especially with pairs like NZDUSD) which is totally out of our control.

Every broker out there brags about that 4 trillion per day figure. ECN (and hedging by some market makers) is only a part of the total daily forex market. See Chapter 1, Part IV of FMS for more info.

Your best option would be to open accounts (fist demos, then small live accounts) at some other well-regulated ECN brokers. Then set up pending orders for small amounts and see how the execution compares.

After all, every broker out there claims to have the deepest liquidity, the least slippage, etc. Obviously, this can't be true. Depending on the LPs, you may find one broker with better executions (spread, slippage) on NZDUSD and a different one gives better executions on EURUSD.

Well what I found out today was; they may have DEEP pools, they just don't have many of them. They may be also losing a few of them, I'm guessing, because of the US Gov. working over the Banks in Europe. All the brokers there have been told to stop taking US clients. Some did. Those that didn't are hearing from the banking and liquidity lenders.
Today was my first day with my new broker. Absolutely awesome ! I've never had a broker spend a total 3 hours on the phone with me going over EVERYTHING ! He didn't even want me to trade live till I had a chance to see their commissions, leverage, and other this work.
Ever had a Broker call YOU to answer your questions ?
I found out that my old broker only has 11 pools to draw from . My new one has 23. The spreads are the best I've seen! And there was no widening of spread during announcements. Nothing huge anyhow. I never felt safer.

Since this thread is in the Company Comparisons folder, it is acceptable to name the brokers.

The main rules here are...

Employees, IBs, and other affiliates of a company MUST disclose this relationship.
Any other form of compensation for posting must be disclosed.

I wish I didn't have to have rules like this, but I just caught another broker offering no-deposit bonuses in exchange for posts and reviews from brand new clients. You can also check the Spammers Hall of Shame to see how many employees and affiliates have been caught promoting brokers all over the forums.

It wasn't that I don't want anyone to know the name of the broker I'm in love with. It's just that as soon as you say it , 10 people get on these sites to bad mouth them.
It's TradersWay. They continue to be only a phone call away! I've never been treated so fairly.

What's fun is seeing how people who had the slightest problem with a broker will instantly claim anyone who says anything favorable about it is an employee or IB and other people (many of whom haven't even tried to withdraw) will instantly claim anyone reporting any issue absolutely must work for the competition. Most people think that it's impossible for one trader to have a good experience and another trader to have a bad experience.

Back