5 Things I have learned in 5 years of trading!

Agreed with the posters above.
Broker choice is paramount.
I use regulated and offshore.
Depends on what I'm trading and what leverage I require if I'm hedging etc .
Good reviews section here

1. A broker is not that important. 90% of them are fine so use whatever one you are comfortable with. I use REMOVED as I use Bitcoin to deposit and withdraw and it is very quick, also the tree planting is good. It all helps. FPA FORUMS TEAM NOTE: General Forex Talk is a non-commercial folder. DO NOT make broker recommendations in non-commercial folders unless you want to meet Spam Cat.
  2. Social media “gurus” often don’t actually trade themselves and make their money conning the vast majority of people coming into trading looking for quick cash – don’t get caught out!
  3. Nobody can give you a ready-made strategy and then send you off to start making money, A strategy is something personal to you in terms of time, risk tolerance, psychology, speed of the market etc. Take bits from different sources and then take the time to formulate and test your own strategy that fits your own parameters. There is no “one-size fits all” in trading.
  4. Trading of any type is NOT A GET RICH QUICK SCHEME! It takes time for the above reasons to first learn the basics and then formulate a strategy, test it thoroughly and implement it.
  5. Set achievable goals – when you first start break even at the end of the month might be a great target for you and that is fine. Not losing long term is priority number one to protect your capital. Don’t compare your 1000hrs of practice to another person’s 10,000hrs. Be better than you were 6 months ago and focus on that.

What else have you all learned in your time trading?
Great points made here!

Agreed with the posters above.
Broker choice is paramount.
I use regulated and offshore.
Depends on what I'm trading and what leverage I require if I'm hedging etc .
Good reviews section here
I also use some regulated ones as well. As you say I think it's different tools for different jobs.

shame that some of your points get muted even though you are trying to share your experience with others form what you have learnt and how you are building as a trader. definatly agree about all the social gurus for years i was looking for the next best thing to invest in but learning that it is only down to me to build a better financial future

1. A broker is not that important. 90% of them are fine so use whatever one you are comfortable with. I use REMOVED as I use Bitcoin to deposit and withdraw and it is very quick, also the tree planting is good. It all helps. FPA FORUMS TEAM NOTE: General Forex Talk is a non-commercial folder. DO NOT make broker recommendations in non-commercial folders unless you want to meet Spam Cat.
  2. Social media “gurus” often don’t actually trade themselves and make their money conning the vast majority of people coming into trading looking for quick cash – don’t get caught out!
  3. Nobody can give you a ready-made strategy and then send you off to start making money, A strategy is something personal to you in terms of time, risk tolerance, psychology, speed of the market etc. Take bits from different sources and then take the time to formulate and test your own strategy that fits your own parameters. There is no “one-size fits all” in trading.
  4. Trading of any type is NOT A GET RICH QUICK SCHEME! It takes time for the above reasons to first learn the basics and then formulate a strategy, test it thoroughly and implement it.
  5. Set achievable goals – when you first start break even at the end of the month might be a great target for you and that is fine. Not losing long term is priority number one to protect your capital. Don’t compare your 1000hrs of practice to another person’s 10,000hrs. Be better than you were 6 months ago and focus on that.

What else have you all learned in your time trading?
Takes time to become a trader and a decent broker helps

shame that some of your points get muted even though you are trying to share your experience with others form what you have learnt and how you are building as a trader. definatly agree about all the social gurus for years i was looking for the next best thing to invest in but learning that it is only down to me to build a better financial future
Ah rules are rules, perhaps not the right place to post it. Wasn't "recommending" as much as just saying who I use among others. Only a part of one of the 5 points though.

I would also add the markets do not stand still and we need to manage to synchronize with them. Yesterday's strategy may not work tomorrow.

I would also add the markets do not stand still and we need to manage to synchronize with them. Yesterday's strategy may not work tomorrow.
Yes, it's right because the market always changes, the pattern may differ, and learning market pattern I think will help us to adjust the trading strategy, in rally market, range market we can use suits trading strategy to minimize the mistake.

There are two ways of looking at this I think. Either have different strategies for different conditions or have the confidence to stay out the market if your setups aren't there. Looking at the markets changing more long term though I think highlights the importance of constantly looking to refine and examine your strategy. I think the idea of this can seem like mild neurosis to some but if you notice a change, test it and then make the changes you think will solve it.

Back