Anyone here trading WITHOUT candlesticks?

I don't wait for certain candlestick patterns to form before placing my entry. That would take up a lot of time. I use stochastic for range trading, MA and ADX for trend trading.

Hmm, I do not understand why you want to limit yourself to other price charts and completely eliminate candlesticks...
Yes, candlesticks can be just an addition (not the main working chart) but this does not mean that you need to eliminate them at all.

Candlesticks are great for getting the emotionallity of the market and offer various other indications some poele find useful.
Line charts are very dry and more boring to watch, but they both they serve the same basic purpose of defining previous prices trends - so, I dont why how using one or the other should make a big difference to profits, but I could be wrong

Actually this post got me wondering - could line charts have advantages over candlesticks? So, I tried an experiment working with a 'Spartan' template - no EMA, no pivots, no grid,, just a line chart. I have to say I like it! I realize that there is a drawback to candle sticks, they draw your attention very strongly toward what is happening 'now' and can make it harder to be aware of the overall trend within the time frame - which afterall is what should be doing not getting carried away on the last candle.
I am not sure if I will stick with, but I give it a good try and report here how I make out!
Happy trading folks!

Sounds interesting. If you can find a way to make good trades on a different style chart, then don't let anyone tell you what you are doing is somehow wrong. Long term success or failure is the only measure of whether a particular trading method is good or bad.

Hi

Candlesticks are the best display of price action
here is an example of the price action I watch using candle sticks around these price levels

I hear it from more and more people it's the secret to profits.

(And use Bollinger, Fibonacci and daily time frames.)

Do you know someone trading like this with outstanding results?

I can't imagine to trade without timeframes specially candlestick, with most common indicators like RSI, SMA, MACD, OS and B-Bands. I tried to trade with pivot points theory and find that it is followed with candlestick and give outstanding results.

Well, I have been very impressed with line charts and I am running an experiment. I have opened a bunch of demos and trading using line chart and just one time frame at a time 5 min - dailly. I set SL200+spread/TP200 to ensure an even playing field. The results are extremely interesting! Some time frames perform consistently well, others badly.Overall though the whole is in profit which is surprising as I am using a rudimentary selection method - I take the opeing and closing prices to set the trend and the action now has to be in line with this. The rest is just guess work.
I trade fast and don't think much.
Give it a try, you will find it really improves your ability to spot a trend!

Of course it is possible to trade without candlesticks. A trader can choose to use Line charts or Bar charts.

I do not know of any secret trading method. I think all trading methods are good as long as you put it in the right context and executed at the right time.

Stop looking for secret trading method or the 'holy grail' to trading profitability, it does not exist. What is more important is to have your trading plan in place. It will guide you on how to approach and trade the market.

Back