• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Are there ANY good brokers?!

@UncleSteve: in Canada, there are regulations that forbid more than 1:50 leverage, as in the US. I'm not familiar with all the laws, but in the US for example, it is illegal to solicit residents through phone, mail, website(also considered as solicitation), and there may be something similar in C. I suspect that if they have any ties to Canada, such as segregated client accounts at a bank that has offices in Canada, they can be legally vulnerable if accepting customers from North-America.
If you want to absolutely use alpari, you will have to go to alpari.ru. HOWEVER, be aware that you will be dealing with lawless corrupt russian system... so if something goes wrong for you, expect little or no recourse. (watch the documentary "Putin's road to Sochi" for an eye-opening account of how their system is more corrupt than ever - my apologies to Russian citizens - this is by no means a criticism of you, as persons).
Also, be aware that alpari, although on the surface seems to be an excellent broker, has, according to the zulutrade stats, higher slippage on many of the deals. Slippage is a lot like having much higher spreads... except in an unpredictable manner... and this will rob you of gains, making many trades losses instead of profitable. Nothing terrible... many are a lot worse... they're about in the middle (which is nowhere near the leaders).
In my investigations, the ones with the lowest slippage were, from lowest to not as low, hotforex, aaafx, thinkforex. of the three, only ThinkForex is regulated in Australia, which isn't as insecure a location as others like Mauritius or Cyprus or Greece. So far in my trades, I haven't experienced any slippage even once - time is 48ms consistently and each time I click things are instantaneous. Also, I use their cTrader platform. I started out with metatrader4, and lost money because it replicated trades instead of cancelling them out... it was a bit of a learnign curve for me. cTrader is much easier to use, and had MANY very nice little additional features that are useful while doing trades. And the spreads in cTrader a slightly better, because they don't pay the higher MT licensing fees I'm guessing. But the spreads are already very good in MT. You're also trading with a extra decimal of precision (5 decimals instead of 4, 3 for JPY). I just really like them so far. Because I've recommended them, I will be active here and post news, if any, should it influence my recommendation.
PS: should you decide ThinkForex is for you, ask for my coordinates to refer you - referrals get you $100 no strings attached. Not much, but why leave it lying on the table. Other brokers may offer that too... so when signing up find yourself a friend here who is a customer of that broker to refer you. We are here to help each other, so why not help with that too. Just beware of those that offer large signup bonuses... I would even be extremely suspicious. I wasn't aware of that when I signed up with them, but I wouldn't have sad no. ;)

Last edited:
hmmm... I still don't know if I have seen anything to really trust in this game. I like my broker but I'm not comfortable until my money's in my own account.

Still, in the mean time I haven't yet become profitable so I have nothing to lose!

Always be nervous about your broker. Check their reviews at least a couple of times a month and see if there are any sudden changes. Check scam alerts at least once a week and see if there are any serious complaints. Sometimes, when a broker starts to go bad, only those who try to withdraw early get anything.

Remember, if everything works out, you can always put the money back in.

another strategy I read about somewhere recently was:

1. learn how to trade
2. save up while you're learning until you have a chunk you can afford to lose
3. deposit it with your broker
4. keep withdrawing your profits (how much at a time obviously depends on how expensive it is, how big your account is, etc, etc)
5. keep saving up your next chunk outside of your broker while you get used to trading the chunk that you have

makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm trading with a real account but a very small one while I learn, and while I keep topping it up I know that every top-up adds to the amount I can withdraw for free on my credit card.

Still, in the mean time I haven't yet become profitable so I have nothing to lose!

another strategy I read about somewhere recently was:
1. learn how to trade
2. save up while you're learning until you have a chunk you can afford to lose
3. deposit it with your broker
4. keep withdrawing your profits (how much at a time obviously depends on how expensive it is, how big your account is, etc, etc)
5. keep saving up your next chunk outside of your broker while you get used to trading the chunk that you have

makes a lot of sense to me.
I'm trading with a real account but a very small one while I learn, and while I keep topping it up I know that every top-up adds to the amount I can withdraw for free on my credit card.

You're not yet profitable (referring to your previous post), so understandably, that may be news to you. But isn't that what everyone does anyways?

Rest assured though, you're not alone - apparently three quarters of those who play in forex lose money.

What I would be interested in knowing, is how long the typical forex account lasts, on average. (sort of like 90% of businesses fail within the first two years - I bet the statistic for forex is in months, not years)

in this time the forex busnise insta forex is the best broker in the pakistan and i join it and i hopr that it is good for us then he give us bonus very well so it is good busnisess alll over the world so join the forex busnise and earning the monny

in this time the forex busnise insta forex is the best broker in the pakistan and i join it and i hopr that it is good for us then he give us bonus very well so it is good busnisess alll over the world so join the forex busnise and earning the monny

I see I should have made a rule against brand new people promoting scam brokers in this thread.

InstaForex received an FPA Scam Finding in 2008. From what I've seen in the reviews and in scam complaints since then, it was the right decision.

https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/fore...older/3484-new-excuse-confiscate-profits.html

InstaForex is blacklisted by the FPA. The FPA recommends against opening accounts there. The FPA recommends trying to withdraw all of your money immediately if you do have an account there.

I see I should have made a rule against brand new people promoting scam brokers in this thread.

InstaForex received an FPA Scam Finding in 2008. From what I've seen in the reviews and in scam complaints since then, it was the right decision.

https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/fore...older/3484-new-excuse-confiscate-profits.html

InstaForex is blacklisted by the FPA. The FPA recommends against opening accounts there. The FPA recommends trying to withdraw all of your money immediately if you do have an account there.

By the sounds of it, from this post and others I've read on this site, perhaps you should implement country-based IP blocking... and just outright block certain countries from making posts here.

Back