Best films people have watched that got them into trading.

Top 6 Trader movies

1 - The Big short (2015)
2 - Margin Call (2011)
3 - Too big to fail (2011)
4 - The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
5 - The Wall Street (1987)
6 - Boiler Room (2000)

Top 5 Trader web series

1 - Million Dollar Traders by Lex van Dam (2009)
2 - Traders: Millions by the Minute - by BBC (2014)
3 - Wall Street Warriors (2006)
4 - Billions (2016)
5 - SCAM 1992 (2020)

Most of the movies talk about brokers, insider trading, scams in history which bring more awareness to the retail traders now. However, still due to ignorance more people lose money in the markets. Listed above all the movies with the released date (year), Enjoy watching and Getting the awareness of big brokers, banks, institutions behind the scenes.

I can tell that Wolf of Wall Street is one of the greatest and one of the most influential movies for traders. However, I'm keen on watching biography genre and msotly I watch such films about great entrepreneurs, for example, the movie Founder which is about a human who has led the McDonalds corporation to the level where it is today. It's not about Dick and Mac McDonalds who founded the company at all, because they were too dumb to continue develop their creation. This is a great story about a man who noticed the potential in their creation and let it breathe by creating franchise chain.

It is very predictable that everyone started writing about The Wolf of Wall Street. Of course, this movie does a good job of showing the beautiful rich life.
That's why a lot of people are interested in trading. Of course everyone wants to sail on big beautiful yachts, live in a big house and drive a Lamborghini.
Unfortunately, it is not always like this. Trading is hard work. Also, let's remember that Jordan Belfort was not the most honest man, so I think this movie should be doubtful. I mean the motivation to become a trader.
A more serious movie is Big Short. It's about what we do.

Top 6 Trader movies

1 - The Big short (2015)
2 - Margin Call (2011)
3 - Too big to fail (2011)
4 - The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
5 - The Wall Street (1987)
6 - Boiler Room (2000)

Top 5 Trader web series

1 - Million Dollar Traders by Lex van Dam (2009)
2 - Traders: Millions by the Minute - by BBC (2014)
3 - Wall Street Warriors (2006)
4 - Billions (2016)
5 - SCAM 1992 (2020)

Most of the movies talk about brokers, insider trading, scams in history which bring more awareness to the retail traders now. However, still due to ignorance more people lose money in the markets. Listed above all the movies with the released date (year), Enjoy watching and Getting the awareness of big brokers, banks, institutions behind the scenes.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm sure tons of people wrote about this as well, but one of the one's I would pick definitely The Big Short, and surprisingly, The Matrix.

I don't think I need to talk about The Big Short quite a lot, because everyone is probably quite familiar with the movie. But I you watch The Matrix in a way that you can relate it to financial markets, is that, the market is like The Matrix. Everyone operates under its rules, and for the majority of people living in The Matrix, it is impossible to just rebel and put up a fight with The Matrix. It is the same thing with the markets. You cannot dictate The Market what it should do. It dictates you.

You can't fight with the markets. You need to figure out how to live under its rules and go around them to be partially free. You need to learn how to make money, even though it can be truly difficult for the retail, it is not impossible.

I personally haven't been inspired to start trading by films, many traders mention "Margin Call" as a movie that sparks their interest in trading.

Back