Buy & Sell Simulataneosly Strategy

NStrader

Recruit
Has anyone had much experience with a strategy of buying and selling simultaneously then riding the 'winning' direction (if any!!)

That's called Hedging. If you trade with an NFA broker, you'll encounter some difficulties.

The problem with riding the winner is that price could reverse the moment you dump the losing half. It make work, or you could just end up doubling your losses.

That's called Hedging. If you trade with an NFA broker, you'll encounter some difficulties.

The problem with riding the winner is that price could reverse the moment you dump the losing half. It make work, or you could just end up doubling your losses.

It's just that I came across a claim that most trades win on the volatile GY with a 50 point stop and only 1% lose both ways. I haven't found this in testing.

I use 2 strategies for this:

1) I find that I've bought a currency just before bearish news comes out and it's suddenly dropping like a rock. Selling into this action prevents a margin call. It also gives me the opportunity to work the oscillating pattern that may develop. If indicators turn positive again, I can close the sell position for a profit and buy again at the lower price. If the new upside resistance is below my original buy, I will take profit on the 2nd buy near the resistance level and sell into the decline again. Rinse and repeat.

I may eventually admit defeat on the original buy, but in the meantime I have salted away enough profit riding the oscillations so that overall action in that currency is profitable. It's a bit grueling, but I've had some of my biggest wins that way.

2) I am trading an oscillating currency, trying to buy the dip and sell the rally. There is a danger that the price will fall below the apparent range. If this threatens to happen, I place a sell order just below the bottom of the trading range as insurance. If the bottom falls out, I have margin protection. If the sell executes and the price starts going up, I buy in at the lower price and ride it back up, offsetting the loss on the insurance. If it oscillates, I again end up making profits on the oscillations.

The trick is deciding whether to stop-loss or to insure. If the currency is going sideways, it is better stop-loss and find a more active pair. If the currency is having lots of price action, insurance is better, because it provides cover for racking up oscillating profits. The insurance sell is expensive, but I've had good luck with it.

The right indicators are critical in this strategy. If you cannot accurately anticipate oscillations, you will only lose money with this approach.

FWIW, I've thought of straddling the London or Tokyo opens with a pending sell below and a pending buy above the pre-open price, but I haven't tried that yet.

MM

Stradling approach

I heard about a recent approach where you identify a pivot region where the price bounces above and below the pivot price. With the OCO (One Cancels the Other) option, you set a buy and sell at a specific price above and below the pivot. If the trend moves up the Buy order will be executed and the sell will be canceled automatically so you can ride the momentum without missing the opportunity no mater which way the market bounces off the pivot price.

One Cancels Other -- I remember that from trading stocks, but I don't see it as a choice in the MT4 New Order dialog. Am I missing something (not unheard of at all)?

MM

That's true the price could reverse but the secret so as not to loose is to be to have a sixth sense.I mean you should have a back-up plann before things gets worse.Only can make that back - up plan coz it depends upon your current standing on your platform..happy trading and GOODLUCK!!!:)

Back