• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

currency cash machine

Can WIA explain what is the guarantee that after 90 days it will still be possible to claim a refund? After 60 days it probably becomes harder to claim for a refund. After 90 days WIA may have taken out all the sales proceeds out of the account, the credit card won't have any way to honor the refund.

You have to rely on the company s willingness to repay you, but that is not necessarily the worse problem you ll face. The guarantee is conditional to you using the system for 90 days and proving your losses with your trading account. If you ever try to get a refund before 90 days, they ll point you to that MANDATORY trial period.

Info coming out from people using the service is minimal at present because it is fairly new, but some are saying Maffei lost 100 pips in his first week. Now, suppose you re down 500 pips after one month and you want to call it quit. You cant: you MUST keep using the service for 3 months if you want to be entitled to a refund. NOW, you have a problem....

If you unplug yourself from the signals to cut your losses, you just also unplugged yourself from your right to a refund. Think about it....

Last edited:
My guess is, Mike Maffei is actually a pen name because he is a real hedge fund manager and can not use his real name do to the fact the FX regulatory bodies would see that as soliciting for a hedge fund and he would lose his hedge. A lot of the financial publishers do this. If you email there sales team and they do not explain that in the reply you know its a red flag!

Wealth Insider Alliance

I have actually used another product from the Wealth Insider Alliance called the Macro Millionaire membership with John Thomas and have made about 16k in 2011 with a 50k account. Much more modest returns than the Currency Cash Machine is promising obviously, but there will not be a need to collect a refund in my case, that is for sure!

So do we not have any feedback from anyone who as actually tried Currency Cash Machine? If Mike Maffei turned 10K to 100K in under two months I feel a few weeks would be long enough to see some gains.

Yes have been using since 27th May.
More winners than losers but just now 5% down on initial outlay.
Cannot use Alpari UK as broker as when I rang them they said they were still negotiating !
Seem to be trading mostly on AUD/NZD but still waiting for the big pip movement !!
Hopefully they will honour 3 month trial.

Nice to see I'm not alone in my actual experience using John Thomas' Macro Millionaire with Amy's posts. I too, didn't take every trade. That said, he does have a few losers too. His FXE put was wrong timing and assessment of the global economic situation, and he owned up to it to his members. It was a painful loss for me. However, overall his winning picks alerts average about 80%(earlier higher) which is still a significant edge. I agree that I would prefer John Thomas had not affiliated himself with WealthInsiderAlliance, nor let his name be used in promotional ads email or otherwise promoting the other name services of WIA, so then that leaves every potential client responsible for his own screening of the scam services.
Also, while his ads and WIA videos say that he has made millions , his service on WIA will not change one's account from 10k to 100k in one year. You can expect 10% to 40% gain depending so you should have a hefty account to start with. His service is almost entirely driven by fundamentals and research. Although he does refer to some common technicals on his charts, he mostly takes or alerts trades with some fundamentals reasoning whether it be current events or cyclical/seasonal economics.

My eset smart security 4 does protect from malware, and it would give me a warning alert if it detected it, and it still hasn't from Diary of a Mad Hedge Fund Trader and wia. Well I have a lot of security options set on my browser and eset, so most scripts and such aren't even allowed to run on my browser so that could explain why I don't get warnings from the WIA site if others have reported malware.

So now it seems the consensus on this thread is that John Thomas is a real person and he is not Greg Roy, or the other name services on WIA. That said, WIA does have some scammers.

I finally got my REFUND from WIA for Timothy Syke's Penny Millionaire a few days ago. I had to go through 90 days of trial and then write up my losses and show them. But they did it after all and a little repeated requests through email. Warning. You will only get a credit card refund. So one may have to check with their card company if they can get a check for outstanding credit if they so desire a check for the refund. Syke's picks were only like 20% winners in my book. One could have done better throwing darts. Also he was not even prepared initially to do the service and was always making excuses in his webinars. If you look you can see his ranting on some sites about how lying clients should not even get a refund, lol. He thought he could be another John Thomas. He even used similar phrasing like Thomas in a couple of email alerts I got. John Thomas did interview him on his radio archives. One can find it and hear it. MichelAngl, I'm sure you can see all the complaints out there about Timothy Sykes. Very little actual pro trading experience except his own hype and purported lucky strike when he was 18. And you are correct about not being able to request a refund until after 3 months. I asked to quit after 1 week, after I found more unsettling info about Sykes online, but WIA told me I had to abide by the refund guarantee's stipulations. So I kept track of the losses and losing alerts for all three months and reported my losses on the alerts I did try. I also quoted pretty much every alert which were mostly losers in my attachment to WIA as well. I'm just glad I did get the refund after all. I called my CC company and they confirmed the charge 90 days ago was refunded, and said I could also get an outstanding credit check if I wanted, but that may vary with your particular CC company.

good luck everyone

Last edited:
Well, John Thomas is taking a business/pleasure vacation in a "Notice to Subscribers", june 9,2011. It's a fun read, nothing to do with alerts or trading advice..

"

My tux is packed, the hotels are booked, and the limo is waiting outside. I am taking off for Europe today for a mix of business and pleasure.

Along the way I will be meeting with other hedge fund managers, senior government officials, CEO’s at major banks and Fortune 500 companies, the heads of large institutional investors, and a Nobel Prize winner or two. Getting out into the real world and soaking up new data and opinions in invaluable in shaping my own global view, and your performance benefits from it.

In London I’ll catch William Shakespeare’s As You Like It at the Globe Theater, spend an evening at the Royal Ballet, and visit the Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition. At least one morning will find me catching an old fashioned straight razor shave at the Jermyn Street Barbers, and topping up my supply of business shirts at Turnbull & Asser. The cheese trolley at the Michelin restaurant is to die for. For accommodations I’ll be staying at the ever reliable, if not Spartan British Navy Officers Club. You know, the place where Horatio Nelson used to hang out with his pals?

I’ll then board the Orient Express for Venice, where the dinner is black tie only. Hopefully, there won’t be any murders this time. Next, it’s on to a strategy luncheon for readers in Milan. If a new Brioni suit and pair of Gucci shoes throw themselves upon me while I stroll through the Galleria I may be unable to resist.

After my strategy luncheon in Geneva I’ll be consulting with the representatives of some Middle Eastern royal families while they vacation in the Alps. One afternoon will be devoted to taking the paddle wheel steamer on Lake Geneva to the Chateau de Chillon in Montreux where Lord Byron used to live, sipping fine Swiss white wines along the way.

The grand finale will be my annual assault on the Matterhorn at Zermatt, which at 14,692 feet is higher than anything we have in the continental US. After training all year for this, it’s now or never. I spend my evenings there at public steam rooms where, afterwards, I roll around in the snow and beat myself with birch branches. It is invigorating, to say the least.

I will be traveling with my laptop and keeping touch with the markets. While 17th and 18th century Internet service is passable, it doesn’t always work. So unless I see something extraordinary, I won’t be issuing any new trade alerts. After running up a 30% return in six months, I deserve a break. I need to spend some time alone on a mountain top, communing with the spirits, attempting to focus on long term financial trends through the smoke.

While on the road, I will be re-running some of my favorite research pieces from the past. This is to expose my thousands on new subscribers to the golden oldies, and to remind the legacy readers who have since forgotten them. The next original content will be posted on June 30. In the meantime, I shall be raising a glass to all of you at dinner, the loyal readers of The Diary of a Mad Hedge Fund Trader. Salut! Prsot! And Cheers!

"
Then there's a photocopy of the Orient-Express Venice Simplon..

"Invitation to Board
Mr. John Thomas
Venice Simplon-orient-Express
London Victoria to Venice (Santa Lucia) on (a date) June"

Boarding Card
(a date) June 2011
Depart
"
...more details

... then a pic of the Matterhorn.

A couple months ago, he showed us subscribers his invite to a Chinese official party mix in Beijing. Related his earlier years of journalism in Japan and communicating in the language..
Half year ago, a pic of him flying a MIG during the Gulf War (probably photo shot from the refuel tanker plane) . He said he was drafted for the war as they needed trained Marine pilots.

Just a small sampling of the stories he shares about his life. Quite an adventurer/journalist/hedgefund trader/manager.

glta

Last edited:
Currencycashmachine- review

I too was interested in trying the "Currencycashmachine" but since I have read this thread, not so much now.

I googled the "currency cash machine" and found this site on the first page Currency Cash Machine Review | Is this the Greatest Forex Product Ever?
Here is some text from that site explaining how it works,

For example, if you’ve got a $1,000 account you would trade 4 micro (1k) lots per currency pair. If you have a $10,000 account this simply means that you would risk 4 mini (10k) lots per trade.

2.) The maximum risk per trade that you should take on is 5%.

This simply means that on each trade you will take on approximately a risk of 5% of your account balance.

3.) The maximum drawdown that you should allow for before closing out the positions is 40%.

Seeing your account go into a 40% drawdown is of course something you don’t want to see! However, because the strategy looks for very volatile times in the market, you may occasionally see these drawdowns. This is something you need to be prepared for and stay confident in the Currency Cash Strategy. Sometimes large drawdowns need to be taken to make the huge gains we look for.

(looks like it is going to take more than a month to turn that 10k into 100k)

Currency Cash Flow Machine | Daily Q&A With Mike Maffei
Question:

Money management. It seems Mike now wants us to trade fewer lots than recommended on the website.

I have a balance of $2,000 and when the mirror trading began for me last Thursday I started by trading EIGHT micro lots with that amount in my account. If that needs to be lowered, tell me what Mike now recommends??

Answer: That needs to be lowered to 2 micro accounts until we build up some profit then we will increase.

Question:

It seems Mike is backing off of his claims in his video by now asking us to trade fewer lots. If he’s doing 91 percent this year and has such a great track record, why is he backing off now that people have signed up?

Answer: We are not backing off now that people have signed up. We provide a plan for members to achieve the most growth with the least PRINCIPLE risk. Reference the 10k to 100k db account i started with 10k and used 10k lots until i built profit then i increased my risk with the houses money

Question:

In two of my winning trades on Thursday and Friday…..one collected 35.7 pips and the payout for that trade was $23.25. In the other 30.7 pips were collected and the payout was $20.11. Again, I was trading 8 micro lots and using my FXDD account. And in the losses the amount lost is a little more than pips lost? Why such a big difference? I don’t like having to make 30 pips to earn 20 bucks when trading 8 micro lots. That makes trading with your system EVEN MORE DIFFICULT!! Wouldn’t you agree?

Answer: Give the system time to compound. Last week wasn’t a great week when we do have one you will see decent growth and will be able to increase your risk with the houses money.

Question:I was a little disappointed with your monthly expectations. Were the stats that you used to sell your system inflated or did you handpick the best times?

Answer: Not handpicked or best times. We just want to prepare members that sometimes you have to wait for the perfect month to really see huge gains. Could happen this month or 4 months from now.

Question:

Are you sending out the revised investment sizing re lots to account balance

Answer: Yes we already did

Well I am new to trading and forex, and would not risk any more than 2% but if he is front running the banks and knows what is going to happen next, especially with a team of hedge fund traders managing the account full time, then why expect 40% drawdown on your account, is the data feed telling lies or is the internet connection loose?

I think I will wait and check for more reviews in three months, I may be better off just going with my new friend from Nigera who sadly just lost his uncle and cannot get access to his rightfully due inheritance of $12.5 million, just need to set up an account here for him and give him my bank account details, I will get a 15% commission, COOL

HDIV

I already said and I repeat that " John Thomas " has too much imagination when it comes to those details about his life past or present. What can be more ridiculous than him posting a copy of his invitation to a fundraising dinner where Obama would speak in 2009 and he accepted the invitation and accepted to pay 34 000 dollars for 2 and he signed the invitation as " The Mad Hedge Fund Manager " ? Yeah right...as if the secret services would be pleased with an anonymous guest and as if anonymous political contributions of 34 000 dollars were feasible. I guess his official invitation to a chinese venue was the same baloney ?

BTW him flying a MIG during the first Gulf war is totally absurd of course. The MIGs were russian fighters and the only ones the USAF managed to get were from defector pilots and were used for evaluation purpose and never for combat operations. In the first Gulf war, it was Iraq that flew MIG-29. Nobody was called back at 40 to be a fighter pilot anyway.

DERMOLIKESPROFIT

There s no such thing as " frontrunning banks ". The best you can do is looking at what they do while they re doing it: never before they do it.
They never do anything together anyway. When they exchange those large lots like 10 millions lot, you have one bank that is a seller and one that is a buyer: which one do you intend to imitate ? The most logical way to trade when you want to be on the same side as institutions is to look at the SSI that will tell you if they are more on one side as opposed to retail traders. But it s an information you can get for free and you dont need to pay 2000 for THAT.

Last edited:
Any other actual results from the program? or anyone who has had trouble getting a refund from WIA? if they back up their refunds then there really is no risk.

Back