Currency nicknames

And all this time I thought it was called "Fiber" because eating Euros was good for digestion.
:p

Haha, your funny pharaoh, but anyway, yeah, I think it can be that way. How about the story behind other currency names. :p

Currency nickname

Here is a list of the most common currency nicknames:

US Dollar USD = Buck

Euro EUR = Fiber

British Pound GBP = Cable

Canadian Dollar CAD = Loonie

Swiss Franc CHF = Swissy

Japanese Yen JPY = Yen

Australian Dollar AUD = Aussie

I was wondering what makes this currencies name to be different by their original names. :confused:

So do those nicknames only apply to that specific currency pair? Or can they be used to refer to a currency on its own? For example is it correct to refer to the NZD as the Kiwi or is it only the Kiwi when paired with USD?

I think it's one of those cases where the nickname can be used in more than one way.

Found a nice video on this only not all the "nicknames" seem to be in agreement!

[video=youtube;sT2bD6C3cko][/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

CH is the international abbreviation for Switzerland (comes from Latin "Confederatio Helvetica")

Just to add to this, the reason CH is the abbreviation for Switzerland is to preserve the spirit of neutrality the country is famous for, because SC would favor the German-speaking population and SU would favor the French-speaking population. Speaking of the Swissie also reminds me that another nickname for this currency is the Chief, though I haven't heard anyone refer to it as that in years!

Other nicknames that I haven't seen mentioned so far:

Dollar = the greenback
Euro = the single currency

Back