CySEC bans Bonuses tied to trading

This is a good thing. Now, if only they could deal with stupid and unrealistic leverage of 1:1000 or even 1:2000 some companies of dubious repute are offering.....

Everyone should read the Cysec ruling very carefully. Bonuses themselves are not banned. Bonuses that lock up the money belonging to the client until a minimum trade volume is met have been against Cyprus regulation for some time. This is a reminder of that rule.

So, for all of those brokers (especially binary brokers) who have these rules stating you need to trade a certain number of lots or turn over a certain about of money to get even your deposit back and grabbed what they thought was quick and easy regulation in Cyprus, the deposit plundering party is over. Anyone client blocked from access to their money by bonus rules with a Cysec regulated broker now has a clear green light to file a complaint for a legal violation by the broker.

Here's the text from http://www.cysec.gov.cy/Downloads/C...n to granting trading benefits to clients.pdf

The Cyprus Securities and Exchange Commission ('the Commission') wishes to inform the
Cyprus Investment Firms (the 'CIFs') the following:

1. It has been noted that CIFs grant trading benefits (e.g. bonuses) to their clients under certain
conditions. Sometimes these conditions are associated with the funds that clients deposit in
CIFs for trading. This practice is permitted provided that clients’ funds are free to withdraw
at all times and whenever the client wishes.

It has been observed, however, that the above does not always apply. There are cases
where the client, who has been granted a benefit, may withdraw his funds only when he
conducts trades whose total value reaches a specified, by the CIF, trading volume.

2. Any restrictions on the withdrawal of clients’ funds are not in compliance with the
provisions of the Investment Services and Activities and Regulated Markets Law, as in force
(“the Law”) and the Commission’s Directive DI144-2007-01 of 2012 for the authorisation and
operating conditions of CIFs (“the Directive”).

Furthermore, prompting clients to conduct trades with a view to achieving a specified
trading volume and then be entitled to withdraw their deposits are not accepted as fair and
good practice towards clients.

3. Specifically, all the above mentioned in point 2 seem to be not in accordance with the
provisions of:

i. Section 18(2)(j) of the Law which states that a CIF, when holding funds belonging to
clients must take every possible measure to safeguard clients’ rights.
ii. Section 36(1) of the Law which states that CIFs must act honestly, fairly and
professionally when providing investment services to their clients.
iii. Directive regarding the provisions for the safeguarding of clients’ funds.

4. CIFs that grant monetary benefits to their clients, must:

i. Provide accurate, clear and not misleading information, when advertising such a scheme.
ii. Describe in detail to their clients the way the scheme works, as well as its terms and
conditions.
iii. Always be able to separate the funds belonging to clients from the monetary benefit
granted to them.
iv. Monitor on a continuous basis and take all appropriate measures to always be able to
meet the terms of the scheme without affecting their capital adequacy.

I haven't been the biggest fan of Cysec regulation, but I applaud them for this. Anyone care to bet how many brokers bail out of Cyprus in the next few months?

Does it really matter what leverage they offer if the client uses risk management, would this affect your trading? Sorry, I'm not trying to start anything I just don't understand this comment apart from protecting clients that have no idea about what they're doing, and are then advised by 'some expert' (broker rep.) to start at 10% risk using something like a martingale system.

Your're right Pharaoh but this is the beginning. Hopefully some bigger and more influential regulators will follow this.

Bonus is poison! (and meat is murder :D)

I always wondered why so many brokers went to Cyprus and I didn't really trust it. Now it's good to know that there is oversight and that CySEC take their work seriously.

The bulk majority will bail out would be my guess....leaving only the "honest brokers"....

Great work CYSEC for starting to clean up the mess.

Interesting as my dubious (won't say s--m yet until FPA votes) traders, FMGGLOBALFX, were using United World Capital of Limassol and my capital build was to be done through rebate sharing.
Something that puzzles me- does the Cysec Regulation cover both Greek and Turkish territories. If not, I presume the regulation pertains to the Greek side?

Interesting as my dubious (won't say s--m yet until FPA votes) traders, FMGGLOBALFX, were using United World Capital of Limassol and my capital build was to be done through rebate sharing.
Something that puzzles me- does the Cysec Regulation cover both Greek and Turkish territories. If not, I presume the regulation pertains to the Greek side?

CySEC only covers the Greek side of the Island. Turkey is outside the European Economic Area, thus MiFID regulated firms are unable to passport their services to those based in Turkey. Firms based in the Turkish part of the Island should be regulated Turkey's CMB (Capital Markets Board), with Turkish firms not technically being allowed to offer their services to residents of the European Union. Hope that clarifies things for you.

Back