Forex EUR/USD Daily Video, October 25, 2018

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Good morning,

As EUR just hang upon 1.14 area - it confirms real breakout and makes us look for deeper targets:

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Hi sive. I’m accustomed to using the COT for the largest turnarounds that may happen 2 times a year by looking at net shorts of the commercial traders. In the last couple of daily updates you’ve mentioned it as an indication of where the market may be headed in the more short term. Where can I read more about your COT interpreting?

Hi sive. I’m accustomed to using the COT for the largest turnarounds that may happen 2 times a year by looking at net shorts of the commercial traders. In the last couple of daily updates you’ve mentioned it as an indication of where the market may be headed in the more short term. Where can I read more about your COT interpreting?

Here is and following pages:
https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/comm...part-i-market-sentiment-and-cot-report.18644/
But I discover right now that pictures are not shown. This is either my banner protection or, some problems on the site. I'll take care about it.
If you also do not see pictures - return within few days, it should be fixed.

Here is and following pages:
https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/comm...part-i-market-sentiment-and-cot-report.18644/
But I discover right now that pictures are not shown. This is either my banner protection or, some problems on the site. I'll take care about it.
If you also do not see pictures - return within few days, it should be fixed.
Thanks. I did read the link you posted in the FPA school but it was fairly general and not especially specific. It seems you’ve got a special COT edge and I want to pry the black box open! If there’s more that you know but don’t have time to explain it that’s fine. I thought maybe you’d read an article somewhere that really explained it in depth.

Thanks. I did read the link you posted in the FPA school but it was fairly general and not especially specific. It seems you’ve got a special COT edge and I want to pry the black box open! If there’s more that you know but don’t have time to explain it that’s fine. I thought maybe you’d read an article somewhere that really explained it in depth.

Nope, nothing special, I suppose. Classic and common sense approach. Hedgers positions important in longer term, as they take them against anticipated action on the market. Usually we're looking for non-commericals, speculators. But sometimes it is useful to take a look at hedgers as well, especially if you see big changes.

If you will find something interesting on this sub, let me know. At the same time, don't we look for holy grail in common things? Trying to find some "hidden" knowledge in statistics...

Nope, nothing special, I suppose. Classic and common sense approach. Hedgers positions important in longer term, as they take them against anticipated action on the market. Usually we're looking for non-commericals, speculators. But sometimes it is useful to take a look at hedgers as well, especially if you see big changes.

If you will find something interesting on this sub, let me know. At the same time, don't we look for holy grail in common things? Trying to find some "hidden" knowledge in statistics...
By looking at non-commercials week to week in the COT, you get a little guess as to how the bigger trading desks feel about a currency, correct? Like if this week, spot forex was down and the COT also showed net shorts increased, you might conclude next week would also have some down pressure? Or if the eur lost value but net shorts in the COT decreased, it might indicate next week will have some up pressure?

By looking at non-commercials week to week in the COT, you get a little guess as to how the bigger trading desks feel about a currency, correct?
Not quite. In fact, non-commercials includes Money managers, different ETF, Hedge and Mutual funds. They are major day-by-day players. You could use new COT format where members are split on more categories. It calls "Disaggregated" report. Here you could read detail information and explanation what each category means:
https://cftc.gov/idc/groups/public/...ments/file/disaggregatedcotexplanatorynot.pdf
Like if this week, spot forex was down and the COT also showed net shorts increased, you might conclude next week would also have some down pressure? Or if the eur lost value but net shorts in the COT decreased, it might indicate next week will have some up pressure?
It needs some skill from analyst. Last week was not quite common situation, because hedgers have increased longs. It means that they do not believe in EUR growth in long-term picture.
But rule of thumb is to watch for two major issues - extreme long and short positions. They point an areas where market could reverse in opposite direction. Second, in week-by-week analysis - any big action usually supported by open interest growth. You need not just net long or short position been increased, but you need to see new money flows in this direction. Otherwise, it means that position has changed due closing of opposite one, which brings not as strong effect and could mean different things. The value of change as net position as open interest is also important.
This is just one analysis tool among the others. It is powerful, useful, but this is not some prophecy indicator. Besides, data stands at the middle of the week and it is mostly lagging. It is especially useful in moment of big reversals, when you have technical situation in place, but need some confidence. COT data could provide it. Big reversals always have big impact on COT balance.

Also you need put COT data in context that you have. For example last week, we've mentioned that drop is too strong for retracement and we were gravitating to bearish development. COT data has shown growth of longs by hedgers, that I've mentioned and increasing of net shorts by speculators on the back of open interest growth - perfect confirmation. Nothing else is needed.

For example, here is COT data for gold. What conclusion we could make?
upload_2018-10-28_11-19-37.png

Last edited:
Back