Forex and religion

>>moral relativism

Now there's a term that gets lots of bad press, but in practice, most individuals' morals are relative to their culture. In some cultures, infanticide is seen as unfortunate, but understandable. In others, the murder of a daughter for the sake of family "honor" is the custom. Female genital mutilation is the accepted norm in other cultures.

From our perspective, we might view these practices as barbaric and uncivilized. Certainly, I do. However, I realize that if I had grown up in those other cultures, I would have to be an exceptional individual to realize the unwarranted and cruel nature of these acts, for all around me would think them either necessary or unavoidable.

My own moral compass is simple -- no force, no fraud, no coercion. That avoids being an evil doer. To go further, treat my fellow beings with compassion. That leads to being someone who is positive for those around me, which pays dividends for all. It is perhaps not as complex or nuanced as the beliefs of others, but it works for me.

That said, I think's way past time for the ECB to show the Euro a little compassion! :)

MM

Last edited:
Hard to respond

Just recently on the site I have been quite surprised by the number of expressions of religious faith that have been posted here, and it made me wonder just how frequent is this amongst traders?

I realise that a huge percentage of users are probably American here and I understand the vocal nature of a lot of extremist Christians in that part of the world, but still it is interesting to see other heavily evangelical Christian communities as well, from Africa for example, posting their religious thoughts on creating personal wealth.

I find it surprising because it is not something we see a lot of in the trading circle, it is a subject rarely talked about in my experience, and yet when it happens there seems to be an irresistible urge from other like minded individuals to affirm their belief, individuals I might add, who are normally very inactive forum members.
I'm aware of course of the existence of special Islamic forex accounts which have no rollover fees because of their belief system, Tadawul FX is a popular broker for that I believe, but even that is contentious with certain interpretations of Sharia Law.

I would be interested to hear opinion from anybody who has a viewpoint on this subject, or how religious people integrate these two vastly different worlds into a trading reality.

(No sermons please)

Well, not to sound negative about this question but a few points of criticism I hope you don't mind, but it's in the question itself.

First I don't really know any Christian extremists in America this seems to be a sort of Liberal talking point which groups are pushing politically, but know many Christians and many other people of various religious faiths in general.

Secondly the request for limits on the subject of the (no sermons); and yet asking opinions about how forex can integrate these two vastly different worlds is just begging for a sermon LOL. Forgive me for saying so.

So without any sermons lets talk forex and trim the question a bit.

1. How religious people integrate these two vastly different worlds into a trading reality.

I don't know that religious people believe these are vastly different worlds and thus this assumption may also be incorrect.

All religions are different and yet like any other profession how does a person know that their profession is where their religion is directing them.

Do all religious people follow their religion ?
IE People claim to be of a particular religion, but don't really practice that religion or even understand their own religion to begin with.

While others feel compelled by their faith to do this or that.

So I don't believe that there is a way to combine these 2 vastly different worlds as you put it because trading or any other profession is that of the natural world view.

Religion's spiritual nature is not related to the natural realm.

Now the sermon:

Right and Wrong / Good and Evil is not an invention of the mind but the universal mindset of those who have submitted them self to God.
All others create right and wrong / good and evil from their own natural life experiences which are flawed because all those experiences are all different. What makes one persons opinion of such things right and yet another persons opinions about such things wrong ? If only formed from life experiences of the individual then isn't it still just an opinion ?

If God exists then surely he will compel you and communicate with those who want to know him. And thus your reward is the universal mindset which can only come from a relationship with Him.
All else is an invention in the mind of the individual which will vary from one individual to the other which makes things so confusing.

Anyhow that's all I know I hope the sermon wasn't too long, well if you can call it a sermon, but anyhow. :)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Wrong word, I should have written 'fundamentalist christian' not 'extremist', even though this is what I think they are, you might not know any but the US is certainly their home and their influence in your countrys politics is as clear as day, they are very vocal.

The 'no sermons' was kind of tongue in cheek, I was just interested in peoples views not how Jesus was going to save me or how the bible can be interpreted to win at Forex trading.

Even though people have expressed some interesting views, yourself included Agent86, I haven't seen anybody describe how it effects them in their daily trading life, which is a bit dissappointing, but not unexpected.

Well, I don't think Jesus will help you win at trading. That is the antithesis of the view that Jesus espoused, which was very much an anti-capital, anti-wealth view -- "eye of a needle" and all that. So, regardless of the existence or non-existence of Jesus, you can't influence the markets by prayer... even if some people swear by it.

Some may find that their religious practices help them focus their minds. It may be that they do trade better after prayer. In that case, meditation, or perhaps a ritual of technical analysis and trade planning, should do just as well. Perhaps better.

MM

That is the antithesis of the view that Jesus espoused, which was very much an anti-capital, anti-wealth view -- "eye of a needle" and all that.

Exactly, and it is this very notion held, I think, by the majority of believers and non-believers alike, that the man and his words are not geared towards getting financially rich. The bible is not generally viewed as 'the dummies guide to financial independance', and the ability of some to twist this notion so much that they feel confident enough to exploit it's new meaning for them in the forex arena as a green light of favoured god like activity, is very interesting to me.

Of course people believe what they like, no skin off my nose, but to me it affirms a profound skill that man has at manipulating his enviroment, mental or physical, to meet his needs. This seemingly never-ending interpretation of a story that has transcended this world entirely in one way or another and has now become one of the legacys that will mark our stay here seems to correspond with Voltaires remark in 1769 -

"If God didn't exist, man would have to invent him."

Back