FOREX PRO WEEKLY September 23-27, 2013

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Monthly
Well, as our medium target has been hit, now we again have to think what to do next. I’ve taken a look across the board on different pairs and didn’t find something significantly better than EUR. All pairs just has finished corresponding action and situation is very similar across them. NZD is still interesting, really huge upside potential and our long-term picture that we’ve discussed on previous week is still valid and now in progress. But, NZD at weekly overbought and some retracement is very probable. I do not exclude that we will take a look at kiwi with one of our daily updates, as soon as it will give us clear setup.
Now let’s go back to EUR. On passed week I’ve heard two intriguing comments. First is from FOMC about supporting of QE. Yes, in recent time we saw mostly moderate data rather than some good and really growing numbers, but still, as FOMC has spoken within a half of a year that it a bit worries for future inflation and that inflation could come out of controls, since now nobody knows how monthly 85 Bln inflow could impact on USD in the future – they has started to prepare market participants for gradual easing of QE program and that it’s contraction should started soon. But as they’ve said on Wed – “Hey, we will not start contraction and do not care about inflation, may be it will be strong and uncontrolled, but we do not know exaclty how it will be. At least currently we will continue our money printing”. It means that bubble on stock market will continue to grow and splash on gold market (although it could erased) confirms that this was a bit out of market expectation. Gold is dropping mostly due to anemic inflation and mostly due abscence of signs that inflation starts to alive. But this statement has awoke even this kind of gold market, some fears on possible inflation pressure have appeared even there.
Second comment concerns US debt ceil. Obama said that he has tired to bargain with Congress on Obamacare and debt ceil. Republicans said – “we will agree on debt ceil if we will see contraction of spending on obamacare”. Here is an article in FT Obama stands firm on refusal to negotiate over US debt ceiling - FT.com. All in all debt ceil rising is not a Obama’s whim, this is absolutely neccesary issue for country, at least in short term, but looks like senators do not understand this, they just continue to live and think by category of old hassle between republicans and democrates. Thus, Obama said – you do not want to rise debt ceil? No problem, I do not care about and why I should care. And in general, he’s right. He has not to explain cogressmen why it is important. Ceil will be reached by mid October and any nervousness will not stand in favor of USD. Besides, as I understand America does not show big success yet with budget savings. The plan was to reduce deficit for ~1.5 Bln by the end of this year (if I do not mess someting). Tax benefit period has ended, Health care reform demands a lot of money and Fed Reserve has confirmed of money printing. All these moments fundamentally are not positive for USD. But it’s a bit long-term picture.
Now let’s shift to pure technical moments. Our riddle with flag consolidation stands very close to its resolving probably. On monthly chart we have two major moments. First is market has moved above previous high (in red circle). This is important not only because this is high per se, but also because this was a previous failure upward breakout of consolidation. And as market has move right back above it – this tells that this probably is real move at this time. Second – market stands above 50% resistance level that has stopped move up early. I do not know how it will turn, but at least now picture looks bullish. Next monthly target is 1.3775-1.3830 area. It includes yearly pivot resistance1, 5/8 Fib resistance and minor 0.618 extension target of current AB-CD up. Other words, we have an Agreement around YPR1. Trend holds bullish here.

eur_m_23_09_13.png

Weekly
As market has completed our grabbers, let’s take a look at a bit broader picture that I’ve shown you previously. Currently we have the only pattern here and this is butterfly “sell”. Also I’ve thought about larger reverse H&S, but probably it is not perfect enough – too much difference between shoulders. Besides, we still use this AB=CD extension on monthly chart. Trend is bullish here. As market has passed through as MPR1 as MPR2 it solid challenge on continuation and it looks like that we will see it. Long term invalidation point is a low of butterlfy (in red circle). If market will move below it – it will not only erase butterfly but also put under question our monthly AB=CD. Trend also will shif bearish probably around this level. Take a look that we have really huge resistance cluster at 1.38-1.39 area. Recall monthly target and Fib level and now add 1.27 butterfly target, weekly overbought and inner 1.618 AB=CD target. But fortunately we have pretty a lot of room till this area. Second, butterfly pattern could be a long-play one. May be there will be some retracement around 1.27 extension, but who says that it can’t proceed to 1.618? And guys, I have suspicious that this will be the case.
Recall how 2 weeks ago we’ve talked about EUR swings on weekly chart. EUR usually shows AB=CD with very small BC leg. When it completes 100% of this AB=CD it shows significant and wide retracement/consolidations. That is where we stand now and later it usually skyrockets to 1.618 of initial AB-CD. That is an area where 1.618 of our butterfly stands – around 1.42-1.43 This stands beyond a bit of our weekly analysis cycle and overbought but this is really thrilling perspective....
eur_w_23_09_13.png

Daily
Now time has come to decide where we can take long position and how we can do this. Daily time frame could give us great assistance with it. Trend is bullish here, but market stands at overbought and minor 0.618 AB-CD target and 1.27 extension of previous retracement. By DiNapoli framework combination of objective point and overbought calls as “Kibby trade” and has some similar to Stretch pattern properties but trades a bit differently. This is information for scalpers and we will take about it in hourly chart analysis. For others, who trades on daily frame, this just means that market should show some pullback. As price stands at overbought it is reasonable to suggest some deeper retracement. I can’t exclude that market could continue move up even from 1.3475 level, since it is accompanied by WPP by the way, but common sense and probability tells that we should count on deeper retracement and it seems that 1.3390-13415 K-support is suitable for that. This level also includes WPS1 and we know that as market turns to retracement on long-term bull trend – WPS1 should hold it.
And the last one but not least – I’m not sure but I somehow thought – could we get B&B buy here? Yes, we have not quite sufficient thrust – just 7 bars although minimum requirement is 8, but these bars are solid, especially the last one and we have unclosed gap here. So, let’s do not take it as a primary context, I mean B&B, but still, will take a look at it.
That’s being said, here we probably should be ready for some retracement that should be deeper than just nearest 3/8 support. Daily K-support level accompanied by WPS1 seems suitable for that purpose.
eur_d_23_09_13.png

60-min
Now let’s talk a bit about Kibby trade. This speech mostly for intraday traders. Since this trade is also counter trend one, and similar to Stretch from this point of view – price action within it usually choppy and looks like retracement mostly.
I’m not a big expert with making Kibby trades, but theoretical rule suggests – when market has shown “Kibby” setup on daily (we have it – combination of target and overbought), drop your time frame (done), wait when trend will shift bearish (done), enter at first retracement up (should be done on bar that marked by small circle) and use as target some extension down or some other target, such as strong support, etc.
Although we missed enter at retracement, now we have even better oportunity – we have 2 bearish stop grabbers that let us to place very tight stop. Possible targets are 1.3490 and 1.3450. As market at overbought and WPP stands around 1.3470, then it’s logical to choose second one probably.
Also, I have to say that I’m not a big fan of such counter trend trades, because although they are based on solid context, they still carry higher risk of loss mostly due unexpected ocasional spikes, splashes that typical for retracement. I just cover this material because research should be interesting for different wide groups of traders, as for positional as for scalpers. Hope this will help you somehow and you will done well with this.
eur_1h_23_09_13.png

Conclusion:
On big picture market stands at the eve of opening solid bullish perspectives initially to 1.38 area and ultimately up to 1.42-1.43. At least, currently it looks so.
On daily chart market is overbought although overall bullish context holds. Thus, we probably should wait for retracement down and then start to search pattern around support area that will let us to take position. If we will still get some kind of B&B LAL on daily – that will make our task simpler.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

EUR/USD Daily Update Tue 24, September 2013

Good morning,
Honestly speaking guys, it's nothing to add right now to EUR analysis. Yesterday market has started move down and we continue to monitor couple of levels. First one is nearest Fib support around WPP and next one is our prefferable- daily K-support and WPS1 around 1.34 area. If you remember we've chosen the second one, as our major level just because it is stronger and due daily overbought. Retracing from overbought market has a tendency to show deeper retracements.

eur_d_24_09_13.png

On hourly chart price action takes a shape of falling flag or channel. Action itself is rather choppy and confirms that this is retracement. THis is very typical action for any Stretch and counter trend price action. Right now I do not see any patterns or signals here. Price has completed initial AB=CD down that could be treated as target for our Kibby trade. So, now we probably can just wait for a bit more signs and continue to monitor our levels.
At the same time, we have interesting situation on GBP - we could get excellent DiNapoli directional here. And on S&P 500 as well...
eur_1h_24_09_13.png

Attachments

• s&p_d_24_09_13.png
    s&p_d_24_09_13.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
NZD/USD Daily Update Wed 25, September 2013

Good morning,
guys, update will be short today. Since on EUR we have rather gradual move down - analysis still the same here, we expect mostly reaching of daily K-support area where we will start to search possibility to go long. Thus, I do not want to repeat the same that I've said yesterday, and now offer you to take a look at NZD. This is really cool chart. Actually we have similar setup across the board - on GBP, S&P (we've talked about it yesterday), but NZD shows purest and clearest action. Besides, we've made long-term analysis of NZD recently and you can treat it as continuation:
nzd_d_25_09_13.png

So here we have one of the best and clearest setups for DiNapoli directional that we've seen recently. Excellent thrust, market has reached 1.618 extension resistance of previous resistance down and hit daily overbought as well. This will be B&B, I suppose. Market has closed below 3x3 yesterday, today is second trading session. As we know for B&B takes place, we need reaching of significant support within 3 periods after 3x3 crossing. Thus, theoretically signal should come on current week. As support level I like 0.8160-0.82 area - this Fib support (daily oversold stands very close to it), also this is natural support/resistance area marked by yellow rectangle. WPS1 also stands near. So, let's focus on it and see what will happen...

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Thu 26, September 2013

Good morning,
let's go back to EUR. Now we see reasonable respect of our first support level - WPP+Fib support. But I have suspicious that it could be a trap, we should not be decieved by this action. Market retraces out from overbought, and probability suggests that retracement has more chances to be deeper rather than not. That's why it could be just respect, bounce that could become part of compounding retracement down:

eur_d_26_09_13.png

Here how it could look like on 4-hour chart. As market has shown 5/8 move up, it could lead to perfect AB-CD that will create at agreement with our daily K-support and previous highs.
eur_4h_26_09_13.png

But while market is underway with it, we need to make intermediate checking. Thus, on hourly chart, to get more confidence with this scenario, we need to see price return right back into channel:
eur_1h_26_09_13.png

On 4-hour chart we need to see taking out of current lows of AB leg and moving below WPP. Otherwise, market could turn to forming of Butterfly pattern. That's being said, if market will hold above channel or will not move below "B" point of AB-CD pattern, in this case upward action could start earlier...So, just keep an eye on this moments.

Last edited:
EUR/USD Daily Update Fri 27, September 2013

Good morning,
on daily time frame market is still coiling in tight range after solid upward action on previous week. Yesterday we've said that should be careful with move up, since it could become just a BC leg of greater AB=CD pattern down. After reaching of overbought market usually has a tendency to show deeper retracement.
Here we also see that MACD step by step approaching to daily K-support area and if market really will show this retracement, we also could get bullish grabber here. It will not be a dominant pattern, but could give us more confidence with long entry:
eur_d_27_09_13.png

Still our major interest stands at intraday charts. Thus, on 4-hour chart we stand right at the point - market has reached WPP again and future development will depend on whether market will hold current lows or not. If not, then our AB=CD down will be triggered and our major attention will shift to 13420 level. But if it will hold above, then it could lead to appearing of butterfly pattern:
eur_4h_27_09_13.png

If downward scenario still will start, it could take a shape of Butterfly "buy" with the same 1.3420 target. This will be just perfect development and it has chances to happen, since market has moved inside channel again. So, situation is really interesting here, we just need to wait a bit for more clarification:
eur_1h_27_09_13.png

Last edited:
Hi Sive,

As always thanks for the analysis! I learnt something new-the kibby trade :) Also I will be watching Daily DOSC(yours custom) to reach 0 and where the price will be at that moment-maybe Strech will be in play?! Also I enclose Daily chart on Alpari UK and I can count 10 bars with very nice thrust so BnB buy or DRPO sell could form!
View attachment 11297

Bazza

Reserved for update 1

Sive,

I'd like to know why you didn't mention the Bullish Bat pattern forming on the monthly chart. This pattern would negate any further advance now or in the near future with the euro. It would certainly trump the butterfly pattern you are proposing on the weekly and daily charts that would take the euro to the 1.37 area.

The Bearish Bat pattern on the daily time frame fits nicely into the completion of the BC segment of the Bullish Bat pattern on the monthly time frame.

You instead propose the euro going up when the monthly chart shows the pattern at BC complete unless it goes up to the 88.6 AB extension which would be at about 1.3601 or so. But I think it'll complete here which would put the CD leg ending at or about the 1.22 level. If it goes up to the 88.6 AB level now the CD leg will end at about the 1.13 level.

Why confuse people with "Kibby" trades when the most important information was left entirely out of your discourse.

Can you explain please?

Sive,

I'd like to know why you didn't mention the Bullish Bat pattern forming on the monthly chart. This pattern would negate any further advance now or in the near future with the euro. It would certainly trump the butterfly pattern you are proposing on the weekly and daily charts that would take the euro to the 1.37 area.

The Bearish Bat pattern on the daily time frame fits nicely into the completion of the BC segment of the Bullish Bat pattern on the monthly time frame.

You instead propose the euro going up when the monthly chart shows the pattern at BC complete unless it goes up to the 88.6 AB extension which would be at about 1.3601 or so. But I think it'll complete here which would put the CD leg ending at or about the 1.22 level. If it goes up to the 88.6 AB level now the CD leg will end at about the 1.13 level.

Why confuse people with "Kibby" trades when the most important information was left entirely out of your discourse.

Can you explain please?

Hi,
Can you post some charts please so it can be seen exactly what your point is and particularly on Monthly? Where is X point for the potential Bat pattern? To me this is not a Bat, since AB retraced more than 50% and depending on where we get X point, it hits quite obviously 61.8 several months. Here is bat pattern:

Sive,

Can you explain please?

Hi Barry,
could you please attach the chart with your analysis, thus everybody will be able to take part in discussion. I'm not pretending on absolute opinion and just put here my own view. As many traders as many views, right? If you do not agree, you may not follow it, nobody forces you to do that. Here is absolute democracy. :) If you have counter opinion or some other analysis - me and everybody will be happy if you will share with it and we all together discuss it here. That's in fact the purpose of this part of FPA forum. Unfortunately our members put their own view not very often here.
Concerning Kibby, I've just thought that as market has given us setup, why I shouldn't talk about it a bit. May be it will be interesting to somebody. Besides, Kibby is for scalpers, and I do not see any contradiction between Kibby and your monthly bat pattern.

Hi Sive,

As always thanks for the analysis! I learnt something new-the kibby trade :) Also I will be watching Daily DOSC(yours custom) to reach 0 and where the price will be at that moment-maybe Strech will be in play?! Also I enclose Daily chart on Alpari UK and I can count 10 bars with very nice thrust so BnB buy or DRPO sell could form!

Hi Venelin,
I've said 7 bars, because I usually take this insurance and count only upward candles. ;) I do not quite understand your comment on Stretch. Zero DOSC point is an end of Stretch, not the starting point. Stretch starts at overbought/oversold areas.

Back