FOREX scam from New Zealand

How about this one:
ThinkForex.com?

Thinkforex has a similar corporate structure. It is an offshore NZ financial provider that offers their service only to non-New-Zealanders. That means they are not regulated by the New Zealand securities and futures commission. They are only required to register with a specific registry within the New Zealand registry of companies. That registry was created recently in 2010 and offers only a minimal degree of protection to investors. For example, the registrar should check if the directors or shareholders have a criminal record. In practice, I found at least one example of an american convicted felon who filed his annual corporate return in New Zealand from his jail cell in Utah ( dont ask me how he did that ). So that registry is a joke.

Those inscribed in the registry are also supposed to be part of an approved dispute resolution scheme ( also new for dec 2010) in case of a dispute with clients, but I have no detail about how it is funded since offshore financial providers in New Zealand have no capital requirement. That means you can open your forex operation with zero capital in your corporate account while in other countries like the USA, you need something like 10 millions of your own money to open a legal and regulated brokerage ( that is 10 millions not including clients funds ).

Keep also this in mind: New Zealand is a country of less than 5 millions. Even if their police force are honest, they are a SMALL fraud squad with limited resources. Their priority is to protect New Zealanders and companies like thinkforex are not allowed to accept clients from New Zealand.

At least, the directors for thinkforex are 2 guys from Illinois. You can go after those easily enough if something goes wrong....

Also, Thinkforex runs their actual operations from the british virgin islands. That adds another layer of complexity if you were ever to run after your money ( bank secrecy laws ). I also wonder why they incorporated the NZ entity only in december 2010 as per the NZ companies registrar).
I am wary of any broker with a complicated structure involving multiple offshore entities. Not saying they are ALL frauds, but it s the perfect set up to make monies untraceable in the labyrinthine web of companies and bank accounts.

It is also the same set up as Bforex ( one NZ company and one BVI company ).

If you re a client, ask some pointy questions. They have an online chat. Ask " Where are you typing from ? " " If we need to communicate by the postal service, where do I write ? " " Do you also use the postal service sometimes with clients ? " ( using the postal service for fraud falls under specific US statutes against mail fraud and scammers carefully avoid using it ). Their registered address in NZ is that of their lawyers representing them for compliance. The address in BVI could very well be just another compliance agent; I didn t find anything for certain there.

Check if any of their phone numbers can be traced by reverse search. You ll maybe find out none can be traced to any company.

Buyer beware

Edit 03/19/2011: I can now confirm Think forex is a member of an approved dispute resolution scheme. It is FSCL.org.nz. They registered with the first approved scheme that went online in may 2010. We can place Think forex one notch above the other New Zealand-based brokers who did not comply with the recent New Zealand legislation. In case of a dispute, you now have at least " some protection ".You can lodge a complaint with the scheme. Registering even before the deadline of december 2010 ( as per the new legislation ) is definitely a good sign for Think Forex.

Last edited:
MichelAnge21, you truly is a wealth of information.

Lately, I too have noticed some new forex brokers claiming to be based in New Zealand.

Huhhh!....Looks like being "based/registered in New Zealand" must be one of the latest ploy of scammer brokers to give their scumbag company some authenticity since being based in "Delaware;U.S.A" no longer works.

Would be interesting to see list of ALL Brokers listed in New Zealand.

MichelAnge21, you truly is a wealth of information.

Lately, I too have noticed some new forex brokers claiming to be based in New Zealand.

Huhhh!....Looks like being "based/registered in New Zealand" must be one of the latest ploy of scammer brokers to give their scumbag company some authenticity since being based in "Delaware;U.S.A" no longer works.

Would be interesting to see list of ALL Brokers listed in New Zealand.

Dear Rahman

Ok, I ll write something here that I had been reluctant to write until now because I understand that a company with the SAME NAME as another but incorporated in another country can always argue with their lawyers that the similarity of names is a PURE COINCIDENCE.

So I start with a disclaimer here that I simply searched the New Zealand public registry of companies and I found such strange COINCIDENCES like the existence of a Bforex in NZ and also an INVESTECHFX TECHNOLOGIES in NZ while we all know that there is an Investtechfx Technologies incorporated in Canada ( but not properly registered as a forex broker ) and a Bforex incorporated in the British Virgin Islands.

Other COINCIDENCES include the fact that the suspicious NZ companies often times use ALSO another offshore jurisdiction for their actual forex operations because New Zealand wouldn t allow them in NZ proper. I told InvesttechFX clients to ask Investtechfx WHERE exactly is their " clearing Dept " or " liquidity provider " that is supposed to have some problem with their account. It s NOT in Canada. It s NOT in New Zealand either. I wont say where it is but there are COINCIDENCES pointing to a certain country...

It is a COINCIDENCE that the SAME PERSONS without any significant net worth are the ultimate official owners of dozens of such corporations in typical nominees fashion when the true beneficial owners are carefully hidden from view.

It is a COINCIDENCE that a New Zealand woman without significant net worth owned dozens of companies through her own personal corporation until june 2010 and ALL OF THEM were transferred to another guy that month after a New Zealand journalist started asking questions.

It is a COINCIDENCE that another guy from a poor village in Panama
is named as director and/or owner of dozens of other corporations linked to the NZ entities.

It is a COINCIDENCE that any investors going after those nominees will find no assets to seize.

It is a COINCIDENCE that a search of the registro publico of Panama reveals more information ( harder to search; you need to learn a few tricks ).

It is a COINCIDENCE that many of those companies imploded like classical ponzi schemes and, while a few guys were arrested, the MONEY was never found. The story is always that the money was LOST by the minor crook who faces justice. US attorneys are unfortunately unable to trace where exactly the money went because the corporate structure is too CONFUSING and involves entities in many countries. The Justice department of other countries have obviously less ressources than the USA and can do even less.

Still, the USA deserve a tip of the hat for effectively getting one guy EXTRADITED from Panama ( what other country can do that ? Panama would just laugh at an extradition request coming from any other country ). That person was Jeffrey Mowen now awaiting trial in Utah. Search for that guy s name in the NZ public registry of companies and try to understand:
1) why was he director of a NZ company
2) why was his operations in Panama and
3) Where is the money he didn t spend on his stupid cars collection.

If you understand all that, communicate with the SEC attorney handling the case because he obviously understands nothing from the court documents that I have read. I THINK I understand but I sure cant PROVE anything. It s all COINCIDENCES; dont forget...but forex isn t regulated AT ALL in Panama and New Zealand is a pretty respectable country. Since New Zealand allows anybody to become a " financial service provider " as long you dont accept NZ clients, you can then offer all kind of " banking services " from a respectable jurisdiction and start moving money around from bank accounts to other bank accounts. The " dirty money " has to become " clean money " that will be recycled like in real estate somewhere.

While in jail, Jeffrey Mowen conspired to MURDER 4 potential witnesses who were former investors ( conpired with a soon-to-be-released inmate: unfortunately, or fortunately for the would-be victims, that inmate was an informant ). That is a very questionable business practice that the sheep shall not only be FLEECED: they shall also be BUTCHERED.

Now, know with whom we re dealing with here...or at least try to guess. They are wealthy: they are powerful and they stay behind the scene. They also have good lawyers.

So I repeat my disclaimer: Everything I wrote here was about PURE COINCIDENCES that I inadvertently found.

P.S. Tip of the hat to John80 who originally found how so many nz corporate entities were linked under ONE umbrella. I found a similar NZ network and I m not daring enough to give all the list here. Let s just say that they operate in dozens of countries with dozens of corporations. They obviously read this forum since one individual entered a post to protest of the legitimacy of his own NZ corporation.

P.S. for Goldex-Equities. You protested here but your corporate address at 135 Albert in Auckland NZ is shared by dozens of companies like yours and is really the address of Servcorp that rents virtual offices for a minimal fee.There is NOBODY from your corporation who REALLY works there. A good way to show your legitimacy would be to tell us WHERE YOU REALLY ARE in case investors would have to contact you DIRECTLY by MAIL. AND I SAID DIRECTLY !!!! Not through some " mail forwarding service ". Just GO AHEAD ! WHERE ARE YOU WRITING FROM ? And dont give us the address of your COMPLIANCE AGENT in NZ either. He s an ACCOUNTANT who created a SHELL company that was ready-made. A person from HONG KONG bought the shell-company. Are you operating from THERE ? It is NOT CERTAIN AT ALL. Your actual operations could be ANYWHERE. My guess is you are in Malaysia or Indonesia.
What legitimate company would carefully avoid listing the actual address of their actual operations ?

Last edited:
More for Goldex Equities ( I m on a roll )

Since you decided to protest, I decided also to add that the Hong Kong person who owns your NZ corporation is also the FORMER DIRECTOR of 3 other NZ entities that John80 listed. They are Capital Group International, Prestigen Profits and Graha Finesa FX. Are you still willing to deny your business has anything to do whatsoever with the other companies John80 listed ? Should we talk about those entities and their activities in the Philippines, Indonesia and elsewhere in the geographical area ?

You say that you do not promote any high-yield investment scheme as if it was a proof of honesty. We re all traders here and we know you can open an account with a broker that supposedly ONLY executes your trading orders and you can STILL get robbed of your money. It doesn t matter if the broker pretends to be STP, ECN or whatever. At the end of the day, there s no guarantee your funds will ever be returned to you when you deal with an unregulated broker from some complacent jurisdiction. Your company does not divulge where your actual forex operations take place. Why ?

Did you register with an approved dispute resolution scheme as the Law now requires in New Zealand ? Your deadline was december 2010. Please name your dispute resolution scheme. We will give you a week to read this and name your dispute resolution scheme. After that delay I ll communicate with the New Zealand Financial Services Providers Registry.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Last edited:
MichelAnge21, I know you feel like you are alone against the might of wealthy and powerful people operating all those scam forex broker companies.
And the New Zealand government will not take any action as long as these companies pay their taxes and no Kiwis are scammed.

We FPA members can only warn other traders (especially Newbies) of this new trend of scammer brokers hiding behind a "respected" country "registration to lend authenticity to their company(ies).

For me, in the course of my enquiry e-mail with potential brokers, if their Rep write back with bad English, that broker is most certainly from one of the Baltic states regardless of what they claimed to be registered/based.

I think there is so much that we at the FPA can do to "protect" Forex Traders against scammers, be it Brokers or Service(EA, Robots, Signals, etc) providers, but we obviously cannot help those who don't practice common sense and hell bend on being scammed.

For the lights of me, I absolutely cannot comprehend why someone would forked out usd1k or more for a forex course and EA/Robot. But, very apparently, there are such people and lots of them too, judging by the numbers crying for help here at the FPA and elsewhere everyday.

So, conclusion is, scammer is and will always be a fact of life in the forex world....and you, I, and others can only post warnings of what we come to know. Reminds me of taking a horse to water but cannot force it to dink!

Cheers, my comrade, we cannot fight every battle and still remain intact to chase those pips; right?
Ultimately, we are all Forex Traders here and out to make good on our investment and to realized our vision & dreams.....weelll, so far I have only the vision & dreams....and very nice ones too! : )

Last edited:
Rahman

True: we all chase those pips and it s already hard enough and treacherous enough without being robbed by low life scammers. I get angry when I see they are often smart enough to not get caught. The problem is that a police investigation in most countries would limit the scope of their action to what happens within their own borders. Scammers understand that very well and they build a complicated international structure. They also attract traders with conditions that are often superior to legitimate brokers. They might even get a 5 stars review right here in this forum until things suddenly go horribly wrong. That s why it should be legitimate to point to the fact a broker is not properly regulated or that their contact address is only a virtual office even when they give top quality service. The traders could still maintain a small account with them if they offer conditions that are ideal for the trader s style, but never never a large account. Always make regular withdrawals when you make a profit. Large accounts should only be with regulated brokers.

When I first joined the FPA (and elsewhere), I felt I just had to right the wrongs inflicted by scammers on of every Newbies...Result: battened amour and dented sword....fuming and snorting around instead of learning & being educated in trading forex....and, of course, blowing up trading accounts!

Since those days, I have concluded that forex, as is everything else in our world, is governed by the law of nature.
There will be predators and there will be preys...one have to die in order for the other to live, and no two ways about it!
It's like, do we side with the killer whale/shark or the seal? If the killer whale/shark don't make a kill, it will die from hunger.
We all are preconditioned by religion and human laws for a perfect & just society, but reality and nature just doesn't subscribed to these laws.

The recent tragedy in Japan is a good example of the law of nature.
Humans can build the greatest and the biggest over a period of time, but nature comes in and swept it all away in minutes.

...hehehe....I don't know why I am rumbling on about, but the thing is, we can lead that darn horse to water, but....!

All the best in next week trading!...keep an eye on Silver to take some "buy" positions on the downside since it is said to be in short supply and widely used in the electronics & electrical sectors.

Thinkforex

Hi. I have been reading this thread and find it to be very interesting. Im based in New Zealand and have thought about trading with Thinkforex or Pepperstone. Could anyone here share more information about thinkforex and how reputable they are? Thanks

At this point, I'd suggest a simple test for any forex broker with NZ registration. Ask them if they accept clients from NZ. If the answer is "No", then it's not worth the risk. If the do accept NZ clients, then you can spend some more time checking them out (or hire a company to check them out for you).

Back