Forex Signal (Thu June 30 2011, 8:30am NY Time EST) - Canada GDP m/m

Henry Liu

Former FPA Special Consultant
Canada’s monthly GDP report will be released today. Here’s the trading forecast:

8:30am NY Time Canada GDP m/m Forecast -0.1% Previous 0.3%
ACTION: USD/CAD BUY -0.3%

The Trade Plan

Let’s look to BUY USD/CAD if we get a -0.3% or lower release. With recent uncertainty in the general market, a strong surprise in this GDP number may be the catalyst we need to see more volatility in CAD.

For more information on my trading methods, please read:
Henry Liu's Trading Method

The Market
Canada’s GDP is expected to be negative as various indicators show that the monthly GDP for April has contracted. With current BOC's monetary policy on hold, Canadian economy facing headwinds, crude oil price tumbling, and the general strength in the USD as a result of ending QE2, we will only be looking for LONG trades on the USDCAD pair.

If we get a strong GDP reading, then I would recommend to position BUY LIMIT at support levels as USDCAD should be testing the 0.9900 level once again next week, in my opinion.

Additional Thoughts
USD/CAD is my official pair for this trade, and this pair doesn’t give up retracement easily. In the event that we get a strong release, expect USD/CAD to spike, stall, and then spike again. We may see some limited retracement, if any. The strategy to trade this release is usually just get in as soon as possible and let it ride.

Pre-news Possibilities:
No Pre-news for this release…

Definition
GDP is defined (by wikipedia) as: “the market value of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given period of time. It is also considered the sum of value added at every stage of production of all final goods and services produced within a country in a given period of time.”

Historical Chart and Data for CAD GDP m/m

Thanks,

henry-sig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back