1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forex Signal (Thu. October 7 2010, 7:00am NY Time EDT) - UK BOE Interest Rate

Discussion in 'Current Forex Trading Signals' started by Henry Liu, Oct 7, 2010.

  1. Henry Liu

    Henry Liu Former FPA Special Consultant

    Jul 5, 2010
    Likes Received:
    BOE (Bank of England) will be rendering its interest rate decision today, and it should provide strong volatility in the market if BOE's final decision is a surprise, here's the forecast:

    7:00am (NY Time) UK Official Bank Rate Forecast 0.50% Previous 0.50%
    APF (Asset Purchasing Facility) Forecast 200B Previous 200B
    ACTION: GBP/USD BUY 0.75% (Rate) SELL 225B (APF)

    The Trade Plan
    In the extremely unlikely event BOE hikes rate to 0.75%, we'll buy GBP/USD immediately on a spike trade. Because of the level of this surprise, I think we'll see a strong trend change for GBP in the next few weeks, so we should BUY and keep a small portion for larger gains...

    On the other hand, if we get a surprise increase in the APF or better known as quantitative easing, it would send a bearish signal to the market, and we should SELL GBP/USD immediately.

    I'll be trading this release using my Spike Trading Method, for more information:
    Henry's Trading Methods.

    The Market
    UK’s BOE, Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) is once again scheduled to release their interest rate decision today and the expectations are to keep both their official bank rates at 0.50% and APF (Asset Purchasing Facility) of 200 Billion Pound unchanged. The important focus as usual will be the accompanying BOE Statement if they decide to release one, and it is customary for BOE to only release a rate statement if there is a change in either the Interest Rate or the APF.

    With recent comments from BOE officials on both increasing the stimulus sooner than later and hiking rates to fight inflation, uncertainty on future direction of BOE's monetary policy has also increased. If we do get an unchanged verdict, we will have to wait for the MPC Minutes two weeks later for more details.

    Additional Thoughts
    If BOE surprises the market, we should enter on a BUY immediately because we should see strong demand for GBP and this demand will be sustained for weeks... so it doesn't really matter if you get slipped 50 pips or your broker widened your spread, it should work out in the end...

    If BOE decides to keep everything unchanged, we should stay out of the market as there is no reason to be in.

    Pre-News Consideration
    Since the forecast is unanimous for unchanged on both interest rate and APF, there is no pre-news sentiment on this release.

    Historical chart and data for UK BOE Interest Rate


    #1 Henry Liu, Oct 7, 2010
    Lasted edited by : Sep 8, 2016

Share This Page