Forex Signal (Wed, April 21, 04:30 am EST) UK Claimant Count Change

did this ever happened to any of you????

i just opened a buy limit, with take profit of 10 pips, to test the indicator. so i placed a buy limit at 1.5410, to close at 1.5420. When the spike happened, the buy limit order was like pushed by the spike instead of triggered, and my order was opened at 1.54235. Needless to say that I had to close asap and lost 12 pips for that.

did this ever happened to any of you????

i just opened a buy limit, with take profit of 10 pips, to test the indicator. so i placed a buy limit at 1.5410, to close at 1.5420. When the spike happened, the buy limit order was like pushed by the spike instead of triggered, and my order was opened at 1.54235. Needless to say that I had to close asap and lost 12 pips for that.

You placed a buy STOP, not a buy limit. If you had placed a buy limit when price was under 1.5410, you would have been filled right away either below 1.5410 but no higher. If price was higher than 1.5410 when you placed your order, you would just have an unfilled order sitting there to buy at that price (a limit order). A buy STOP at 1.5410 just triggers a market order once prices reaches 1.5410, and you get filled wherever.

A lot of this is just knowing your broker and how they fill around the news...

My buy stop was at 1.5411, and I got filled at 1.5415, so same scenario as you, I just got a bit better fill.

This is a very common problem

Really it's just a matter of reducing risk and it's what I'm comfortable with. Typically at this release GU will either take off in one direction, or start to whipsaw around a lot. If it takes off in my direction, I'll do well; if not a it's no trade. If it whipsaws, I have a much better chance of either canceling the order, or exiting quickly before too much damage is done if I do get filled.

If I'm straddling both ways and get caught in a whipsaw where both orders get filled, it's almost a sure thing I'll lose money. I use an MT4 broker for this release, and trying to click and manage 2 orders on MT4 at the same time would be difficult. So, I'm fine just picking one direction, and managing the position as I see fit if it fills.

Tonight for instance, I got filled long at 1.5415. I was almost instantly up 9 pips, then very quickly down 25; I ended up exiting the position for a loss of 4.5 pips total. I can live with that, as the price action tonight was exactly the kind I didn't want, yet I still ended up with only a small loss.

Again, just my preference, and as I said to each his own, and others may be more comfortable straddling both ways. If there was a more clear indication of how price would react to the numbers, I'd just setup SNW, but since right now this release is not very clear re. how it affects price, this kind of "half straddle" was the next best thing in my opinion...

Hope you guys made some pips...:)

Hi all ,

This is a very common problem which many of us are unable to address.
There is an entry order called as OCO order, which means, One Cancel Other.

This type of order are very helpful in the scenario which you have stated above, where the direction is uncertain.

I use this, and to tel you, as compared to unidirectional trades, number of trades hitting the market move is 100% and success rate is also gud ( at the end of a certain time period, if you compare it with normal trade entries)

Hope this would help alot of traders

Straddle Trades and news

Hi all ,

This type of order are very helpful in the scenario which you have stated above, where the direction is uncertain.

I use this, and to tel you, as compared to unidirectional trades, number of trades hitting the market move is 100% and success rate is also gud ( at the end of a certain time period, if you compare it with normal trade entries)

I agree

Although I don't trade the news, what you may do is to setup an advanced order

lets say crazy cat posts a trigger for a news release, also if you see on a 5 min chart a consolidation period this is also helpful for spacial recognition.

So in this case you could put your advanced order to buy just above lets say 10-15 pips above the consolidation, with an OCO which means (One order cancels the other) with a target of lets say 40 pips above your entry and your stop just to the back side of the consolidation.
So this is the first part of the order; and if the market shoots up, then you will be in with a buy, and your target and stop are automatically set.

Then you set and advanced order for the other direction as well.
Advanced order for a sell 10-15 pips below the consolidation, with OCO of lets say target of 40 pips below your entry and stop just to the top side of the consolidation.

I have used a stop of halfway point also right in the middle of the consolidation that works well also if the risk/reward does not match up to my equity rules.

Anyhow this does work well, and you can also setup just one advanced order with OCO and for your other order you can get in at the middle of the consolidation and simply open the order with and OCO that way if it does move in the direction of your open order then your already in the market a couple minutes prior to the release. And you will maximize profits.

But if it reverses then you also minimize loses on that order, however if it reverses then of course you may not have even been in that trade at all, but it's just another strategy to consider especially if the news really anticipates a general consensus on the direction then you may opt for that.

The only real big problem with this straddle is when it whipsaw's up and down and this could create a condition where your order is hit, and then stop gets hit, then your second order is hit and stop is hit - meaning 2 loses.

But typically you can keep your eye on things and as soon as your advanced order gets opened you could simply close all reversing positions.

- a third strategy would be to forget the second advanced order and just make your OCO stop a reversal and add and extra lot so that when your stop is hit, then it will open a position for 1 extra lot in the opposite direction.

Then you will have to set a OCO manually or close manually on the stop and target of the reversal order.

Anyhow, this should give some ideas to consider.

FYI I don't trade the news and don't straddle, but I have done it quit a bit with the straddle of the US 3am candle for 100 pips per trading day, but I can't get up that early, so I ditched the idea.

Anyhow happy trading

Hi all ,

Thanks; yes I'm aware of OCO's, but as I mentioned I was using an MT4 platform for this release, and MT4 doesn't support OCO's...

You placed a buy STOP, not a buy limit. If you had placed a buy limit when price was under 1.5410, you would have been filled right away either below 1.5410 but no higher. If price was higher than 1.5410 when you placed your order, you would just have an unfilled order sitting there to buy at that price (a limit order). A buy STOP at 1.5410 just triggers a market order once prices reaches 1.5410, and you get filled wherever.

A lot of this is just knowing your broker and how they fill around the news...

My buy stop was at 1.5411, and I got filled at 1.5415, so same scenario as you, I just got a bit better fill.

sorry, my bad, i meant buy STOP =)

sorry, my bad, i meant buy STOP =)

by the way, i called my broker's support, and the guy said that i should have placed a buy limit, not a buy stop, then i tried to explain to him why he was wrong, and when he tried to transfer me to the MT4 support, i just hung up, it was 5am, way too early for stress...

Back