1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FX Spreads Explained

Discussion in 'Beginners Bootcamp' started by Rasfi, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Rasfi

Rasfi Private

Forgive my ignorance but I just need quick explanation on a specific question relating to spreads.

I was comparing spreads, but here is my problem. I thought a pip was the last digit of a currency pair, so when I was comparing spreads different brokers were offering different spreads on the same pair no problem so far except I got little bit confused which spread is better, give you example:

Broker A: 0.9 GBPUSD

Broker B: 1 GBPUSD

Broker C: 1.8 GBPUSD

Broker D: 0.4 GBPUSD

Now in terms of numerology 1 is a whole number greater than a fraction number of 0.4, but pips represent points, "pip" stands for "percentage in point," or a percentage of the smallest currency unit. So I'm trying to get my stupid head around this, If I buy 1 lot GBPUSD at 1.5820 and the spread is 0.4 and the market moves 4 pips up, does that mean have paid the spreads?

2. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Colonel

Your question is a good one. Most forex education material is based on 4 digit pricing, where the last digit is pips. Over the last few years, more and more brokers have gone to 5 digit pricing. This has lead to massive confusion, when someone freaks out over 12 pips slippage that's really only 1.2 pips.

So, classic 4 digit prices would be like 1.1234/1.1233 meaning 1 pip spread.
    5 digit prices would look like 1.12345/1.12335 meaning 1.0 pip spread

Note: JPY pairs have 2 digits after the decimal under 4 digit pricing and 3 digits under 5 digit pricing.

3. Rasfi

Rasfi Private

Yes that was what I thought, the last digit to be a pip, and now you telling me otherwise. I could not believe it when I first sow almost 50 pip spread with the 5 digit pricing at alpari MT4.

Anyway spread of 0.4 or 0.9 pip is equivalent to what? Is there such a things like, less than a pip or pip fraction?

I'm still trying to get my head around how 5 digit pricing is calculated. If the absolute last digit is not a pip then what is the relevance of a 5 digit prising system!?

4. FXProgrammer

FXProgrammer Private

there are "pip" and "point" definitions.
    "pip" is equal to 0.0001 price change for non-JPY pairs and 0.01 price change for JPY paris.
    Also there is "point" which is the smallest price change of the currencly pair.
    For 5-digits brokers point is equal to 0.00001 price change for non-JPY pairs and 0.001 price change for JPY paris.
    so for 5-digits brokers point is like a pip fraction.
    For 4-digits brokers point is equal to 0.0001 price change for non-JPY pairs and 0.01 price change for JPY paris.
    so for 4-digirs brokers point is equal to pip

Profit and spread values are usually shown in points (not pips) so you will see different numbers for 5-digits and 4-digits brokers when the price difference will be equal

P.S. This is how I understand the difference between pip and poing, please correct me if I'm wrong

5. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Colonel

Another way to think of it is like this:

For xxxUSD pairs, if you trade a full lot, a 1 pip move makes or costs you $10. A 1/10 pip move (only available at 5 digit brokers) makes or costs you $1.

Anyone want to take a wager on how long it will be before some broker offers 6 digit pricing?

6. Rasfi

Rasfi Private

Thanks every one, all clear now. Mini, Micro next is 6 digit Nano pricing I suppose, the real question is when are the brokers going to introduce Planck prising system. (the smallest possible length/movement or the absolute limit how far you can go), when they introduce Planck prising system I guaranty you 100% that that will be the last digit they can possibly add to their prising system.

7. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Colonel

I think some brokers already have Heisenberg uncertainty pricing. :p

8. Rasfi

Rasfi Private

That made my day!:cool: I hate Heisenberg uncertainty pricing system only for the client! lol