Global Prime: Daily Market Digest

Find my latest market thoughts

US-China Trade Deal Scare Sparks Volatility

The Daily Edge is authored by Ivan Delgado, 10y Forex Trader veteran & Market Insights Commentator at Global Prime. Feel free to follow Ivan on Twitter & Youtube weekly show. You can also subscribe to the mailing list to receive Ivan’s Daily wrap. The purpose of this content is to provide an assessment of the conditions, taking an in-depth look of market dynamics – fundamentals and technicals – determine daily biases and assist one’s trading decisions.

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

The indices show the performance of a particular currency vs G8 FX. A video on how to interpret these indices can be found in the Global Prime’s Research section.

Note, this information is breaking news. We initially learned that the White House adviser Navarro said China trade deal is ‘over’ , however, in a perplexing turn of events, he later on walked back his ‘it’s over’ remarks, leaving us back to square one as well represented by the majority of valuations returning back to pre-news.

This is how it all played out. “It’s over,” Navarro told Fox News when asked about the trade agreement. He said the “turning point” came when the US learned about the spreading coronavirus only after a Chinese delegation had left Washington on Jan. 15.

“It was at a time when they had already sent hundreds of thousands of people to this country to spread that virus, and it was just minutes after wheels up when that plane took off that we began to hear about this pandemic,” Navarro said.

Risk-off conditions picked up intensely as the market was caught completely off-guard by the bombshell. The Aussie and the Kiwi were the main victims as proxys of China. On the other hand, the currencies most fragile on Monday (USD, JPY) ended up flying.

I then, through our Discord room, made the point that the market now must awaits to get further validation from the horse’s mouth, that is, Trump himself declaring the trade deal over.

As I told clients, “don’t jump the gun and assume is over until Trump speaks. It baffle me that it is announced so suddenly., which makes it a bit suspicious.. I wonder if the views expressed were rather personal?”

Wait, there is more, you can’t make this stuff up….
We then learned that Navarro walked back his ‘its over’ remarks! White House Trade Adviser Navarro was quoted via the Wall Street Journal in denial of the comments made about the trade deal with China being over. It was an absolute mess and market re-adjusted valuations.

We even had further confirmation via Trump’s Economic Adviser Kudlow who said the trade deal is not over. Kudlow was quoted via Axos as saying “it’s totally false that China trade talks are off.”

Note on my report pre-US/China breaking news
The news broke out minutes before I hit sent on the market analysis I had put together pre-China news. So, even if most of what’s written may be deemed irrelevant at this stage given the vol dynamics have radically changed, I thought I will keep what my views were for those interested, even if done ahead of the China news.

These were my viewS ahead of the China news
Traders with a propensity to bid up risk assets were back in the saddle as equities recovered the upside across the globe and the US Dollar as well as the Japanese Yen ended up as the weakest links on Monday.

Granted, there was no catalyst that sparked the recovery in risk, it was a rather gradual and steady pick up in the buy-side tone in risk assets that started through mid-Asian session, extended through Europe and culminated in the overlap of London and NY.

The outlook for the S&P 500, up 0.6%, is still not as compelling as the tech-heavy Nasdaq 100, where the daily chart is just simply captivating for the interest of bulls. The S&P 500 must still find a resolution away from its week-long range while the Nasdaq is a whisker away from its all time high once again. It’s the era of digitalization post COVID-19 and the index performance is hands down the perfect poster-child.

Amid the resurgence in equities, one index that still refuses to back down half the magnitude of its recent rise is the VIX (fear index), which looks at the front-month implied vol in stocks. Here we can clearly observe how further follow-through demand in equities may face some serious hindrances based on current vol projections.

Whoever is long vols, you can’t really blame them as the turbulent waters as part of the fundamental stream of news are only getting rougher by the day amid the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in some hot spots in the US such as Texas, Florida, Arizona.

Exposed above is the logical camp where fundamentals are so out whack with the reality on the ground that it baffles anyone to be anything but long vol. Then we have the ‘artificial’ reality as depcited through the charts, where the Fed-induced liquidity excess keeps feeding through the bullish view.

Worst of all, the current rebound off the lows in US equities looks scarily analogous to the type of price action that followed the 2009 GFC crash. We all know what happened after that, right? 10 years of bulls in charge in what marked the longest rally in history.

Before I shift gears to the Forex market, I want to honor the merit by Gold bulls in finally taking out a double top in the daily and mustering enough fortitude to accept beyond by the close of NY. With equities headed higher in the last 24h, this type of price action does reflect loud and clear the fragility of the US Dollar, again under the cosh.

Now, on to currencies, where the script that unfolded as part of the re-emergence in risk dynamics followed the template we have grown accustomed to. In other words, the Aussie and Kiwi faring formidably well. The CAD, however, lagged behind, on par with the EUR performance. Interestingly, GBP also joined the bull party, likely fueled by an aggressive departure of short-held positions after a solid run.

On the other end of the spectrum, the behavioral model based on risk dynamics would suggest the USD, JPY and CHF get to be suppressed, and that’s precisely what transpired. The losses in the Swissy were nonetheless limited relative to the terrible performance by USD, JPY.

Heading into the next European session, especially if one holds EUR inventory, be vigilant as we are likely to see vol pick up in response to the release of the EU/GB PMIs. The EUR, GBP need upbeat data to fuel the upward bias one would think. Elsewhere, Australia is the first to release PMIs, and to end the day, the US will also release theirs.

If you found this fundamental summary helpful, just click here to share it!

Insights Into Market Flows

WARNING: This analysis is pre Chinese news
It was conducted on a multi timeframe dimension. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter a position, hence the video is mainly intended as a way to educate traders in upping their analytical skills.

If you found the content valuable, give us a share by just clicking here! Besides, if you have a suggestion on extra instruments for me to cover, reach out to me via Twitter.

Recent Economic Indicators & Events Ahead

Source: Forexfactory

If interested in the best ‘free of charge’ News Indicator that displays data on past and future news in the Forex market via MT4, check this YouTube video I produced. The indicator allows you to save time, avoid mistakes. It’s spot on!

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES
Markets evolve in cycles followed by a period of distribution and/or accumulation. To understand the principles applied in the assessment of market structures, refer to the tutorial How To Read Market Structures In Forex.

SMART MONEY TRACKER
In order to assess the market momentum of a particular asset, I’ve promoted for years the idea of using what I call the smart money tracker. The settings and the indicator can be obtained via our Discord room, where traders from all walks of life interact frequently. In this video I lay out the elements I look into to call trend directions.

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE
Unlike levels of dynamic support or resistance or more subjective measurements such as fibonacci retracements, pivot points, trendlines, or other forms of reactive areas, horizontal areas of support and resistance are universal concepts used by the majority of market participants. It, therefore, makes the areas the most widely followed. The Ultimate Guide To Identify Areas Of High Interest.

FUNDAMENTALS
It’s important to highlight that the daily market outlook provided in this report is subject to the impact of the fundamental news. Any unexpected news may cause the price to behave erratically in the short term. Monitor the event risks via Forexfactory.com & refer to Fundamentals vs Technicals In Forex.

PROJECTION TARGETS
The usefulness of the 100% projection resides in the symmetry and harmonic relationships of market cycles. By drawing a 100% projection, you can anticipate the area in the chart where some type of pause and potential reversals in price is likely to occur, due to 1. The side in control of the cycle takes profits 2. Counter-trend positions are added by contrarian players 3. These are price points where limit orders are set by market-makers. You can find out more by reading the tutorial on The Magical 100% Fibonacci Projection

Another Poor Performance By The US Dollar

Looking back to the last 24h, it was a rather convoluted affair during the Asian session, with a brief period of high volatility amid the scare over the termination of the US-China trade deal. In Europe, the risk sentiment mood was given a new jolt as EU PMIs beat expectations, fueling further selling in the Greenback, still on the back-foot.

The Daily Edge is authored by Ivan Delgado, 10y Forex Trader veteran & Market Insights Commentator at Global Prime. Feel free to follow Ivan on Twitter & Youtube weekly show. You can also subscribe to the mailing list to receive Ivan’s Daily wrap. The purpose of this content is to provide an assessment of the conditions, taking an in-depth look of market dynamics – fundamentals and technicals – determine daily biases and assist one’s trading decisions.

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

The indices show the performance of a particular currency vs G8 FX. A video on how to interpret these indices can be found in the Global Prime’s Research section.

Looking back to the last 24h, it was a rather convoluted affair during the Asian session, with a brief period of high volatility amid the scare over the termination of the US-China trade deal. In Europe, the risk sentiment mood was given a fresh jolt as EU PMIs beat expectations, fueling further selling in the Greenback, while in the US, we got off to a solid start but as the session rolled through the trends petered out.

To put readers into perspective, Asia was characterized by an utter state of perplexity following a controversial headline by US Trade Representative Navarro who stated via a Fox News interview that the ‘US trade deal with China is over’, only to walk back the comments via the Wall Street Journal minutes after. Markets went through some wild fluctuations but with no net effect after all said and done.

What really sparked risk sentiment in a more long-lasting fashion from early Europe all the way to mid way through the US morning included the raft of positive European PMIs, building up the notion that we may be in the midst of a sharp recovery in activity. The fact that Trump came forward via a tweet to clarify that the US-China trade deal phase one is fully ‘intact’ also assisted the favorable risk dynamics.

The market also interpreted positively and clung into the chatter that the US is gearing up for yet another stimulus package by July. On a more negative note, we learned that COVID-19 cases in the US keep climbing at a steady pace in those identified hit spots such as Texas, Florida and Arizona. US health expert Fauci told lawmakers the US is going through a “disturbing surge” in new cases.

But with the US election in November and the catastrophic consequences the lockdown has had for the economy, the bar to re-establish restrictions is pretty high.

However, things can change in a dime, both in terms of a renewed spikes in COVID19, and this may lead to a tougher stance by politicians. A taste of that came via Texas’ Governor on Monday who said “if we were to experience another doubling of those numbers over the next month, tougher actions will be required”. Germany is a clear example of the tail risk, as restrictions were re-imposed in two districts.

As the chart above shows, even if US traders came online with a solid positive lead from Europe, the S&P 500 failed to break outside of its week-long narrow range. That inability to extend gains in US equities failed to justify further follow-through continuation in the AUD and NZD, the two currencies, alongside the Euro, delivering the best results for the day. Surprisingly, the CAD, succumbed as the worst performer, followed by the USD.

A whole different story involves the Nasdaq 100, where a new all-time high was printed, as many traditional value-led investors continue to watch the price action in disbelief. There is growing chatter that equities in the US are starting to be in bubble territory.

A Real Vision video analysis caught my attention, where Refinitiv looked at how the nature of the equity market has changed between the highs of February and the highs that are being made in the Nasdaq today, noting that “one of the key elements of a bubble that was missing earlier in the year is no longer missing today.”

A special mention once again deserves the price of Gold, finding consistent buy-side flows amid the technical breakout of its protracted daily range, while also benefiting from the USD weakness. I also observe a conducive environment to keep bidding up EUR/USD, AUD/USD or sell-side action in USD/CHF or USD/JPY. A much more detailed elaboration of my thinking process in the video below.

Heading into Wednesday, the NZD will attract above average interest as we get the RBNZ policy decision. The consensus is that both rates and guidance – see rates unchanged until March 2021 – wont’t be altered. The team at Bank of New Zealand notes that “the RBNZ will likely want to wait for August’s pre-election fiscal update to get a sense of government finances and likely stimulus measures before thinking of expanding its QE program.” We will also get the BoJ Minutes, the German IFO and a line up of Fed speakers today.

This analysis is conducted on a multi timeframe dimension. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter a position, hence the video is mainly intended as a way to educate traders in upping their analytical skills.

If you found the content valuable, give us a share by just clicking here! Besides, if you have a suggestion on extra instruments for me to cover, reach out to me via Twitter.

If interested in the best ‘free of charge’ News Indicator that displays data on past and future news in the Forex market via MT4, check this YouTube video I produced. The indicator allows you to save time, avoid mistakes. It’s spot on!

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES
Markets evolve in cycles followed by a period of distribution and/or accumulation. To understand the principles applied in the assessment of market structures, refer to the tutorial How To Read Market Structures In Forex.

SMART MONEY TRACKER
In order to assess the market momentum of a particular asset, I’ve promoted for years the idea of using what I call the smart money tracker. The settings and the indicator can be obtained via our Discord room, where traders from all walks of life interact frequently. In this video I lay out the elements I look into to call trend directions.

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE
Unlike levels of dynamic support or resistance or more subjective measurements such as fibonacci retracements, pivot points, trendlines, or other forms of reactive areas, horizontal areas of support and resistance are universal concepts used by the majority of market participants. It, therefore, makes the areas the most widely followed. The Ultimate Guide To Identify Areas Of High Interest.

FUNDAMENTALS
It’s important to highlight that the daily market outlook provided in this report is subject to the impact of the fundamental news. Any unexpected news may cause the price to behave erratically in the short term. Monitor the event risks via Forexfactory.com & refer to Fundamentals vs Technicals In Forex.

PROJECTION TARGETS
The usefulness of the 100% projection resides in the symmetry and harmonic relationships of market cycles. By drawing a 100% projection, you can anticipate the area in the chart where some type of pause and potential reversals in price is likely to occur, due to 1. The side in control of the cycle takes profits 2. Counter-trend positions are added by contrarian players 3. These are price points where limit orders are set by market-makers. You can find out more by reading the tutorial on The Magical 100% Fibonacci Projection

COVID-19 Stats Rock The ‘Risk-On’ Boat

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

Can the fulcrum underpinning financial markets (Fed’s QE) perpetually underpin the exuberance in stock valuations, or will concerns over the disturbing rise in COVID-19 cases in the US finally tilt the balance in favor of sellers in a more protracted manner?

This question above is the main debate driving financial markets at present and one that through the technical analysis of the charts, I take aim to clarify on a daily basis based on the latest ebbs and flows in currencies, equities, metals, bonds, etc.

In the last 24h, the pendulum swung back and the sour mood was re-established, as depicted by the sharp fall in US stocks (S&P 500 -2.6%), following the spike of COVID-19 cases in California, at 7149 from 5019 yesterday. In Texas, hospitalizations increased by 7.3%. Florida also saw cases rose by 5.3% against the weekly average of 3.6%.

To make it worse, Europe is considering to block US travelers due to COVID-19. Be reminded, the markets didn’t find comfort in the news by Apple either, after the company announced it would close 7 stores in Houston amid the rising coronavirus spike. It follows the closure of stores in Arizona, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina last week. The COVID-19 somber narrative is picking up indeed.

During my daily scouting of market intelligence, I also noticed a few remarks attributing the sell-off partly due to pension and mutual funds front running month and quarter-end re balancing flows. You never know the extend of the veracity (I assign it as low driver) but judging by the date in the month and with the sizeable gains in equities vs bond benchmarks, selling equities and buying of bonds appears warranted.

Besides, the announcement by the US to impose $3.1bn in EU tariffs in retaliation for Airbus subsidies, a spike in EIA oil inventories by 1.4m barrels v 0.3m expected shaking the conviction over the pace of the recovery, alongside an IMF downgrade in global growth, were all subsets of news that as a whole may have too impacted risk.

Shifting my focus into the charts, the deterioration in risk conditions has left some technical scars in the S&P 500 as our Go-To risk bellwether by breaking its prior swing low but not yet making it outside its week-long range as we need clearance of the June 22 swing low. The fact that the push down has found considerable absorption validates my view of applying patience. The target on follow-through supply below 3,035.00, which represents a 100% symmetrical target off the bracketed range, is 2,920.00.

Next market to comment on includes Gold, where sellers managed to muster enough momentum to re-take the downside of the 13wma off the 4-hour time scale. However, since such setback still occurs in an unambiguously bullish context with structure and momentum in agreement across the aforementioned time frame and the daily, the outlook for Gold remains bright. Besides, the pullback has rejected a prior role reversal level and bullish divergence in the gold index exist.

In the currency space, the unwinding of leveraged bets in equities has led to the out-performance of the US Dollar this time, recouping some of its lost ground from earlier on the week. It appears as though we are going through a classic capital repatriation back to the USD. The Swiss Franc also showed fortitude as did the Euro and the Yen in this order. The Oceanic currencies and the Pound were the weakest links, with the Kiwi under selling pressure since the RBNZ policy meeting in Asia.

My main take away after scanning through the currency charts is the rather choppy state that most currency pairs trade under. It’s hard to find markets where the 4-hour, let alone the daily, are trending with well-defined one-sided flows. There are some that as of late appear to imply a more protracted trend may be upon us, but we really need to see further conviction in these movements. I will provide all the details, as usual, by elaborating on my views through the video format below.

This analysis is conducted on a multi timeframe dimension. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter a position, hence the video is mainly intended as a way to educate traders in upping their analytical skills.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

Forex Ranges Prevail, Lack Of Clear Themes

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

There was no definable theme in FX during Thursday, leading to choppier conditions in the charts, as depicted by the contraction nature of the currency indices performance.

The fact that in the US equity space the S&P 500 found buyers off the bottom of its range didn’t help either, as it vindicates that the extension of range-bound conditions too.

In the last couple of days, there has been a resurgence in demand towards the US Dollar, opening a gap with the weakest links such as the Kiwi or the Pound, even if it’s all happening within the confinement of familiar levels in a first gear-type of mode.

We had a half-hearted round of risk aversion early in NY in response to further evidence that COVID-19 numbers in the US may sooner or later lead to more drastic measures. However, this time, the figures ended up falling on deaf ears to the broader market.

Through the 4-hour time scale, from equities, commodities, bonds to currencies, the dominant theme technically speaking is the lack of clarity and seesawing conditions. For action, one may have to go down into the lower timeframes to catch micro trends.

While some FX pairs had shown signs of new trends, it’s all grounded to a halt and unless our interest resides in trading the edges of these ranges, it makes the conditions very trappy. In this type of environment, breakout and trend traders tend to struggle.

In the news front, aside from COVID-19 stats, we heard from White House Adviser Kudlow, who reiterated that the US economy is not going to be closed down again. It was also revealed that the Durable Goods Orders in the US rose by 15.8% on a monthly basis, US initial jobless claims w.e. increased by 1,480K vs 1,320K expected, while the
US Q1 GDP (third reading) came at -5.0% vs -5.0% expected.

The minutes of the latest monetary policy meeting of the ECB was also published and failed to act as a vol catalyst. As the WSJ notes, “officials weighed the pros and cons of their bond-buying program, and emphasised the program’s strict limits, according to a detailed account of the meeting could help to defuse a row with Germany’s top court.”

Lastly, there was a late-day mini rally in equities in response to the modification of the Volcker rule by US regulators. “Five federal regulatory agencies finalized a rule modifying the Volcker rule’s prohibition on banking entities investing in or sponsoring hedge funds or private equity funds—known as covered funds”, it stated.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

Forex – In Accumulation Despite COVID-19

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

The unwinding of leveraged bets in markets kept its recent course of action, that is, stocks (down) and gold (up) traveling in opposite directions, while commodity-linked currencies faced mild pressure (GBP joined the bear party too) as the narrative in the US is swiftly transitioning from re-opening to re-closing.

Concerns over the resurgence of COVID-19 cases are starting to reach, if they haven’t already, an inflection point. Drastic decisions by politicians (re-closing) is no longer just some vague chatter and these fears are being now manifested more acutely by markets.

As COVID-19 cases keep surging in Florida, Arizona and Texas, it’s been the head elected official in Dallas county the first to take the plunge by asking the Governor of the state to re-impose stricter measures that may see a return of stay-at-home orders all together. San Francisco also walked back its decision to re-open this Monday.

If one were to account for the share of the US GDP at risk of suffering a big hit based on the most severe COVID-19 hotspots (Florida, Texas, Arizona and California), it’s a dreadful 30% of the total country’s GDP. If there is one theme that can disturb the irrational rise in stocks courtesy of the Fed’s unprecedented QE, that’s COVID-19.

Judging by last week’s performance in stocks and metals, the market is finally starting to express real fears. This dial-down in risk is evident and vindicated by the outperformance of Gold, up 1.56% last week, while on the flip side, the S&P 500 lost 1.67%.

However, in the currency space, ironically, the best performing currency was the Aussie (+0.58%), followed closely by the Kiwi, the Swissy and the Euro, all printing marginal gains for the week. The US Dollar valuation was unaltered for the week, as was the Pound’s, even if you wouldn’t be able to tell by last Friday’s horrid performance. The Canadian Dollar and the Yen were the worst performers.

The disjointed moves in equities and metals, where punchier fluctuations were seen, as opposed to FX may baffle some. Remember though, what we’ve experienced in Forex over the last few weeks is an environment dominated by the contraction of volatility in a major way, with ranges established, which tends to act as a pre-cursor of explosive movements ahead as the market accumulates positions.

The one currency that has finally come to life by breaking away from its consolidation phase is the British Pound, as depicted via GBP/USD, GBP/JPY or EUR/GBP for instance, all in trending mode. Those whose strategies aim to exploit directional biases should now be all over these markets as we get a full alignment of technicals.

Note, the action seen in the Pound on Friday could be interpreted as a front-running of the somber prospects in the EU-UK trade negotiations, set to intensify this week. According to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, “the UK would negotiate constructively but equally would be ready to leave the transition period on Australia terms if agreement could not be reached,” Downing Street office said.

The one-sided flows unfolding in GBP is the type of environment I am watching to play out in the broader FX market the moment we can break of the confinements we are in. Some pairs such as USD/CAD or CAD/CHF are starting to trend nicely too.

Also note, the quarter-end position adjustments are a wildcard that may facilitate renewed stimulus to see ranges broken in FX. I’ve noticed many calls that expect equity selling following the strong rallies in disconnect with fundamentals. Besides, pension and mutual funds may add further selling pressure based on the sizeable gains in equities vs bond benchmarks, which warrants the selling of equities to adjust risk parity ratios.

For an in-depth deconstruction of the markets that have my attention and what are the technical pre-conditions for a transition away from the establishment of ranges and into trends, the video analysis below is where I dissect these views in much more detail.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

The Pendulum Swings Back To Risk-Taking

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

It was a day characterized by the lack of trigger points, and that alone, may have been a dynamic sufficiently convincing for equity bulls to force a gravitation of prices back up, while allowing commodity-linked currencies (AUD, NZD, CAD) to also regain lost ground.

We also remain in that tricky window where month and quarter-end flows may have a large impact in the fluctuation of currencies, hence, making certain movements seen not necessarily backed by a specific catalyst but rather by adjustments in risk parity ratios as the big money reshuffles portfolio exposures in equities, bonds, currencies…

The positivism in stocks, aside from a technical bounce from 3,000.00 round number, one could make the argument that may also be attributed to the reduction in COVID-19 cases in Florida, even if the data is unlikely to paint the reality due to weekend factors.

Besides, in other areas such as Arizona, we just learned that a new order has been imposed to re-close gyms, bars, restaurants, theaters. The LA country also warned that conditions are deteriorating rapidly. Adding to the negative news, we also learned that the WHO said the “worst is yet to come” given the lack of global solidarity.

But nothing of that seemed to matter on Monday to find the follow-through continuation required to define the risk sentiment. In yesterday’s report, I made a point that while equities’ technical profile was getting worse, the market was not treating risk-off associated currencies the likes of the Yen or the Swiss Franc in the same way.

Fast forward 24h, and the under performance of these two currencies (JPY, CHF), alongside the Pound (the weakest link), still suggests lack of conviction to pinpoint a clear risk profile. The compression pattern in the S&P 500 on the way down with every new low immediately rejected is a red flag too that may signal long accumulation.

The convoluted and unclear state of affairs in the market place continues to be a by-product of two contrasting forces acting as the main drivers of the markets since mid MArch. On one hand, fears of a further resurgence in COVID-19 cases and the economic ramifications, on the one hand, the excess liquidity from central banks, most notably the Fed, argues for risk-taking strategies to still thrive.

I find it important to let technicals guide me through these murky waters in risk sentiment. Technicals allow us to evaluate and measure the attractiveness of a trading opportunity. It’s a variable that explains the ‘how’ we get from point A to point B in the charts.

Fundamentals, on the other hand, as fancy as they may sound, and I don’t mean to play it down, give us at times the context to seek out potential re-assurance of a narrative by trying to understand the ‘why’, but more often than not, it can feel too discretionary.

So, technically speaking, what am I seeing? I observe the lingering sluggish behavior of the Japanese Yen and the Swissy, coupled with what appears to be a compression pattern in the S&P 500, which at this stage us far from encouraging to sell risk trades I am afraid. The technical signs are just not there despite the seemingly humongous disconnect between US fundamentals and stock valuations.

An exception to the notion of risk conditions being rather mix is found in Gold, stubbornly firm at its highest point in 7 years. However, this behavior to bid the safe-haven asset is so far occurring in a vacuum and not being manifested through stocks or Forex.

Focusing solely on technicals, I notice decent technical breakouts in EUR-related pairs, especially against the Yen and the Pound. A great market to keep exploiting a healthy trend includes the GBP/USD, although to be frank and fair, the GBP has been a solid currency to short against pretty much all G8 FX in the last few days.

In the video that you will find below, I refrain from further writing and take you on a more interactive tour whereby my views on the technical side of the equation as it’s related to the S&P 500, Gold and Forex get to be expressed. By the end of it, the whole purpose is to provide a compass that help to guide you through the next 24h of trading.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

‘Risk On’ Prevails At Month/Quarter-End

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

The quarter that was ended on a bang for equities with the S&P 500 gaining 1.54% for the day and 19.95% for the quarter. Gold, the Pound and commodity-linked currencies, in this order, had a stellar performance, while the USD, Yen and Euro succumbed.

The NASDAQ, which has recently been making record highs, closed the day up 1.85% and for the quarter the gains stand at a mind-boggling 30.6%, which is the best quarter in the last 19 years. Investors have expressed their bullishness in the full digitization of the post COVID-19 era by bidding up the FAANG complex with earnest.

It didn’t matter if the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases in the US Dr Fauci clearly implied that COVID-19 is out of control by warning that it could reach 100k cases per day, noting “clearly we are not in control right now.”

The spike in new COVID-19 infections – more pronounced in the Southern and Western areas – has led to at least a dozen of US states to either put on hold or reverse all together the plans to reopen. If the data I am reading is anything to go by, it is expected that the new containment measures will hit over half the US population.

Even with such somber prospects, at the end of the day, it all got brushed under the rug, and the balance tilted towards equity bulls as the overwhelming force that represents the vast liquidity provisions by the Fed ever since the end of Q1 keep encouraging risk-taking. The disconnect, some call it ‘bubble’, in equities stays the course.

Once again, I will reiterate how paramount it is that as a trader, you don’t get caught up in the utterly epic decoupling between the reality in the ground with the US reporting 40k new virus cases per day and valuations. Don’t let it be the compass that influences your bias. Stick to technicals (structures, momentum, volatility) to do the heavy-lifting.

Shifting gears to technicals, what have we learned? Firstly, we have the S&P 500 on the brink of a major structure shift in the 4h timescale that may see us en-route to 3,150.00. Gold has torpedoed into a fresh 7-year high and has its sight on $1,800.00.

We also have some decent trend still in play across JPY crosses, with the commanding breakouts in pairs such as the AUD/JPY a testament of the renewed risk-on sentiment. The groovy vibes are also being supported by the range resolution in the AUD/USD.

The forex market behavior infuses the confidence to conclude that the overall picture is turning constructive in risk assets. If you are interested to find out what instruments looks prime to keep capitalizing in the current state of affairs, the video below is for you.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

Stars Align To Support ‘Risk On’ Conditions

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

The follow through in risk sentiment came to fruition and with it a fresh record high in the Nasdaq index, the S&P 500 sealing its bullish outlook as structure and momentum re-align, while the Pound and the Kiwi continue to be the darlings of FX this week.

The behavior in the GBP this week, swiftly transitioning from the weakest link last week to now top the performance board, speaks loud and clear of the erratic toing and froing in currency dynamics. I am the first one who will admit that the sentiment has been really choppy and challenging, one best suited for rotational type strategies.

However, this environment characterized by the constant shifts in sentiment, may be about to reach an inflection point to hopefully get a more discernible and prolonged directional bias as the phase of accumulation ends. The action in equities and the Yen index this week is starting to suggest real crack in favor of risk seekers are happening.

While readers have been warned of the perils to one’s sane in trying to rationalize the market movements through fundamentals in a market where efficient price discovery has been unprecedentedly distorted by the flooding of Fed liquidity, here it goes.

Firstly, the chatter has it that the re-invigoration in risk was supported by the positive surprise in the US ISM PMI data (52.6 from 43.1) alongside the encouraging news about the development of a coronavirus vaccine from Pfizer Inc. and partner BioNTech SE where positive trial results were reported and media picked up on it.

According to the Wall Street Journal: “Healthy adult volunteers given the vaccine candidate had higher levels of antibodies four weeks after being vaccinated and seven days after getting a second dose, compared with the antibody levels in recovered Covid-19 patients who didn’t get the shots, the researchers reported Wednesday.”

Again, if the pendulum had swung in the opposite direction on Wednesday and risk-off ended up being the outcome, market commentators would always find a way to massage the interpretation of the news to fit the current market action/narrative in hindsight.

There is a high risk to get the wrong reads on market dynamics by attaching too much weight on the bombardment of headlines to determine our daily biases. For that, we have the quality of technicals to much more accurately guide us through the noise. Central Banks or COVID19 are nonetheless still the big dogs moving the needle.

That said, it’s still of the essence to stay in tune with all the potentially market-moving news or releases. One in particular, even if the bar to create vol had been set really high based on recent actions, was the the type of key message delivered by the June 1 FOMC meeting Minutes. After scanning through the released minutes, I must say, we’ve learned very little new and that’s been reflected by tepid market moves.

As the Economics Team at NAB notes: “The Committee appears to have agreed on the need for strengthened forward guidance regarding the longevity of its ultra-easy policy settings, be that in the form of state-based or (probably less likely) date based guidance. The committee doesn’t look to have moved any further forward regarding support for adopting some form of Yield Curve Control that it was at its prior, late April, meeting. The Minuets also reveal continuing support for more stimulus actions from Congress…”

Besides, looking ahead, be reminded that due to the July 4 public holiday in the US, the US Non-Farm Payrolls will be published today. This event, which is thought to see about a 2-3 million gain and the jobless rate falling to 12.5% should spur some volatility.

When it comes to the technicals side of the equation, hands down the most critical area to organize one’s thoughts before making a bet, a picture (in this case a video) speaks a thousand words, which is why I will refer you to the video posted below to pick on my brain and what’s the lay of the land heading into this Thursday’s session.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

‘Risk On’ Sustained Throughout The Week

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

The main take away from the last 24h of price action is that equities and currencies, despite the latter still moving at a slower pace, are still very much in-sync signaling that we are slowly but steadily morphing into a stage of more protracted ‘risk-on’ conditions.

Many will keep scratching their heads over the daunting task ahead by the US to revive the economy as COVID-19 casts a long shadow. But when the Fed acts as the liquidity facilitator of first resort to keep the market afloat, the temptation is to keep the bid in risk.

The S&P 500 gained 0.45% by NY close although most of the gains happened ahead of the upbeat US employment report (4.8 million new jobs). But that’s just one way to see it, one side of the coin if you will, because since February the change in NFP is still negative 14.75 million with the jobless rate still firmly above the 10% mark.

What’s more, since US NFP was published on a Thursday due to today’s US independence day holidays, it overlapped with the US jobless claims report. There, the situation remains dire to say the least as based on last week’s data (captures more timely the reality), initial applications for unemployment benefits stood at 1.43 million new applications vs 1.48m in the previous week. Tough road ahead.

The strides made post jobs in US equities could not be sustained and quickly evaporated, attributed to the worsening state of the US virus stats (largest jumps in some of the hot spots since May 9), Dr Fauci – the US infectious disease boss – warning of the dangerous mutations of COVID-19 to spread more easily than before, and US Economic Adviser Kudlow airing his unhappiness with China.

Larry Kudlow said that the US is very unhappy with China’s infiltration to hack into the government and private corporations. Fox News quoted him as saying: “We are very unhappy with China. And yes, there are going to be export restrictions, particularly with respect to military, national security and some sensitive high technology,”

With the above backdrop out of the way, let’s now dive into the FX market, where the picture unfolding this week is resonating with a market that appears to be setting the stage for what may turn out to be more long lasting vol levels and discernible dynamics.

At this stage, the weekly performance by the commodity-link block NZD, AUD, CAD and GBP is suggestive of a potential turning point. These currencies have opened up a significant gap against the risk-off associated currencies the likes of the USD, JPY, CHF, which is a promising sign to untangle what’s been a tricky time to call directions with any high degree of conviction off the higher timeframes.

What I also like is the fact that this performance has been sustainable across the week, it’s allowed technical cracks away from congestions, and most importantly, it comes at a time when the equity space is having its own watershed moment technically as the S&P 500 recently transitioned into a bullish phase in the 4h and daily time scale.

And with the above said, I strongly encourage you to find some time in order to watch my current thoughts in the marketplace. The video is an opportunity for you to pick on my brain as it relates to the technical analysis of the charts, which if anything, should allow you to gain much deeper insights on how to contextualize markets in a mechanical way.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

Technicals Tell Us To Buy Risk

Let’s get started…
Scan Of The Markets

The markets are slowly returning to life after a lukewarm ending last Friday ahead of July 4th Independence day in the US. The Forex market is expressing ‘risk on’ flows at the open in Asia while equities remain underpinned overall. These punchy moves in Asia are in line with the premise I’ve been promoting of a re-alignment in forex trends.

This conducive environment in risk dynamics is one that we’ve morphed into in a slowly but steadily manner after a meritorious bull run by the S&P 500 into 3,150.00 and the Nasdaq at record highs. What makes the ‘risk on’ phase especially convincing this time is the concordance in FX flows where commodity-linked currencies and GBP top the leader board, while USD and JPY under perform.

As of late, the market has been swinging between the fears of a rollback in the opening of global economies due to a resurgence of coronavirus and ignoring the news as the vast provisions of liquidity by the Fed and other Central Banks spark ‘risk on’ moves.

So far, the latter, that is, a market turning a deaf ear and oblivious to the dire situation on the ground continues in favor of a further ignition in the equity bubble courtesy of the excess liquidity that’s been thrown into the financial system. It means renewed lockdowns in Germany, Spain, increase cases in US hotspots are not moving the needle. The risk-seeking conditions are as logic-defying as it may sound.

Which takes me to the next point. One that as of late I’ve been endorsing in almost a daily basis. One must disengage in treating financial markets as a vehicle that expresses rationality. Many times over, it won’t work, especially during these times where normal channels of price discovery have been distorted by Central Banks.

Instead, stick firmly in your technical-oriented edge, and follow what the price in front of you is telling you. Now more than ever technical must bring the level of sanity to your decision-making process that is not found by the irrationality of fundamentals. Remember, we as small fishes must adapt to the different currents and technicals are a great compass to use as a reference of the type of winds blowing.

At this point, you have a choice to make. Either refusing to swing in the direction of the ‘risk dynamics’ current or jump on board aiming to smartly speculate on what the price is telling us. From my readings, we are at a crossroads where the big picture ‘risk on’ trend for more than 2 months appears to be re-aligning with last week’s risk trade flows.

This view gets backed up by the all-bullish signals emanating off the S&P 500, not to mention the Nasdaq, the upside bias in GBP/USD, the AUD/USD making further strides towards 0.70, the Yen index getting in serious technical trouble, the breakout-type pattern in the making in AUD/JPY market for instance, and the list goes on.

Pay attention to what the market is whispering instead of lamenting the grossly overpriced equities or that risk-off currencies are not trading in the most logical manner judging by fundamentals. The market tends to follow the path of least resistance and, at this stage, it’s disengaged from certain logic like COVID 19 spikes = risk-off. Not considering longs in risk assets might be an overlooked disservice to your P&L.

By the same token, when the re-alignment between technicals and the perceived somber fundamentals occur, it shouldn’t alter in the slightest your neutrality in how you approach the markets either. As a technical trader, which is the profile best fitting the majority of the readership receiving this report, let these components guide you all along.

As a template to follow what technicals are telling us and disregarding altogether hunches or gut-feeling type entries based on fundamentals, you can always follow the daily video I produce via Youtube. That’s your opportunity to learn my thinking process to define the contextual state of any instrument via its structure, momentum and volatility.

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

SMART MONEY TRACKER

SUPPORT & RESISTANCE

FUNDAMENTALS

PROJECTION TARGETS

Back