Global Prime: Daily Market Digest

Find my latest market thoughts

Risk Sentiment Keeps USD & JPY Pressured

Ivan Delgado is a decade-long Forex Trader. Feel free to follow Ivan on Youtube. Join thousands of traders who follow Ivan's insights to increase their profitability rate by learning the ins and outs of how to read and trade financial markets. Ivan has you covered with in-depth technical market analysis to help you turn the corner.

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. The indices show the performance of a currency vs a G8 FX basket.

The price action in the last 24h had striking similarities and in a way is an analogous script to the one that played out on Monday. That is, risk-off associated currencies (USD and JPY) kept giving back gains with the Loonie also following the same path south.

The AUD and Gold remain the standout performers this week with the European currencies either hanging onto recent gains or finding further follow through demand. Lastly, the NZD, even if rising, has been an underperformer judging by the bullish equities.

The above takes me to the next point to get across. We are finally getting objective evidence via order flow (derived off fractal structures) that equities in the US may have turned an important corner to start exhibiting a more protracted bullish phase.

That’s what the price action in the 4h timeframe communicates in both the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq 100. All eyes will now be on the US Presidential debate at 01:00 GMT. If Trump is perceived as the winner, watch for the risk-on sentiment to expand further.

Also, be reminded that besides the US Presidential debate, today we will be subject to most likely a spike on volatility due to the month/quarter-end rebalancing flows.

Usually portfolio managers will either leave or give orders to dealing desks to be transacted at the fixing time and price. These flows can be very heavy at the end of the month and particularly heavy at the end of a quarter.

This results, more often than not, in movements that cannot necessarily be explained neither through technical nor fundamental logic but rather is all about tweaks in currency risk exposure by global portfolio managers.

If you found this fundamental summary helpful, just click here to share it!

Hot Trade Of The Day
To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. In this section I pick a market or several ones that presented an opportunity to buy on weakness or sell on strength based on the higher timeframes outlook. My video analysis below will further elaborate on the logic behind the trade. A short position in CAD/CHF was the idea promoted in the last 24h based off OFA.

Insights Into Market Studies

In this video analysis I dissect the information above. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter and manage a position, hence the video is intended as educational in nature and not financial advice.

If you found the content valuable, give us a share by just clicking here! Besides, if you have a suggestion on extra instruments for me to cover, reach out to me via Twitter.

Recent Economic Indicators & Events Ahead

Source: Forexfactory

If interested in the best ‘free of charge’ News Indicator that displays data on past and future news in the Forex market via MT4, check this YouTube video I produced. The indicator allows you to save time, avoid mistakes. It’s spot on!

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES
Markets evolve in cycles followed by a period of distribution and/or accumulation. To understand the principles applied in the assessment of market structures, refer to this video. Fractal breakouts is at the epicenter to assist us in the analysis of chart structures.

MARKET MOMENTUM
In order to assess the market momentum of a particular asset, I’ve promoted for years the idea of using what I call the smart money tracker. The settings and the indicator can be obtained via our Discord room, where traders from all walks of life interact frequently. In this video I lay out the elements I look into to call trend directions.

PROJECTION TARGETS
The usefulness of the 100% projection resides in the symmetry and harmonic relationships of market cycles. By drawing a 100% projection, you can anticipate the area in the chart where some type of pause and potential reversals in price is likely to occur, due to 1. The side in control of the cycle takes profits 2. Counter-trend positions are added by contrarian players 3. These are price points where limit orders are set by market-makers. You can find out more by reading the tutorial on The Magical 100% Fibonacci Projection

Ivan Delgado is a decade-long Forex Trader. Feel free to follow Ivan on Youtube. Join thousands of traders who follow Ivan's insights to increase their profitability rate by learning the ins and outs of how to read and trade financial markets. Ivan has you covered with in-depth technical market analysis to help you turn the corner.

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. The indices show the performance of a currency vs a G8 FX basket.

The price action in the last 24h had striking similarities and in a way is an analogous script to the one that played out on Monday. That is, risk-off associated currencies (USD and JPY) kept giving back gains with the Loonie also following the same path south.

The AUD and Gold remain the standout performers this week with the European currencies either hanging onto recent gains or finding further follow through demand. Lastly, the NZD, even if rising, has been an underperformer judging by the bullish equities.

The above takes me to the next point to get across. We are finally getting objective evidence via order flow (derived off fractal structures) that equities in the US may have turned an important corner to start exhibiting a more protracted bullish phase.

That’s what the price action in the 4h timeframe communicates in both the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq 100. All eyes will now be on the US Presidential debate at 01:00 GMT. If Trump is perceived as the winner, watch for the risk-on sentiment to expand further.

Also, be reminded that besides the US Presidential debate, today we will be subject to most likely a spike on volatility due to the month/quarter-end rebalancing flows.

Usually portfolio managers will either leave or give orders to dealing desks to be transacted at the fixing time and price. These flows can be very heavy at the end of the month and particularly heavy at the end of a quarter.

This results, more often than not, in movements that cannot necessarily be explained neither through technical nor fundamental logic but rather is all about tweaks in currency risk exposure by global portfolio managers.

Hot Trade Of The Day
To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. In this section I pick a market or several ones that presented an opportunity to buy on weakness or sell on strength based on the higher timeframes outlook. My video analysis below will further elaborate on the logic behind the trade. A short position in CAD/CHF was the idea promoted in the last 24h based off OFA.

In this video analysis I dissect the information above. Ultimately, it is the traders’ call, via a set of entries thoroughly backtested, to enter and manage a position, hence the video is intended as educational in nature and not financial advice.

If you found the content valuable, give us a share by just clicking here! Besides, if you have a suggestion on extra instruments for me to cover, reach out to me via Twitter.

If interested in the best ‘free of charge’ News Indicator that displays data on past and future news in the Forex market via MT4, check this YouTube video I produced. The indicator allows you to save time, avoid mistakes. It’s spot on!

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES
Markets evolve in cycles followed by a period of distribution and/or accumulation. To understand the principles applied in the assessment of market structures, refer to this video. Fractal breakouts is at the epicenter to assist us in the analysis of chart structures.

MARKET MOMENTUM
In order to assess the market momentum of a particular asset, I’ve promoted for years the idea of using what I call the smart money tracker. The settings and the indicator can be obtained via our Discord room, where traders from all walks of life interact frequently. In this video I lay out the elements I look into to call trend directions.

PROJECTION TARGETS
The usefulness of the 100% projection resides in the symmetry and harmonic relationships of market cycles. By drawing a 100% projection, you can anticipate the area in the chart where some type of pause and potential reversals in price is likely to occur, due to 1. The side in control of the cycle takes profits 2. Counter-trend positions are added by contrarian players 3. These are price points where limit orders are set by market-makers. You can find out more by reading the tutorial on The Magical 100% Fibonacci Projection

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

‘Risk On’ Flows To End The Month/Quarter

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

Following the debacle of the ‘circus’, I mean, the televised US Presidential Election Debate last night, the risk-on sentiment remains undeterred. From what I could gather, backing up the existing positive order flow seen in equities as I explained in yesterday’s video analysis, we find Dems and GOP giving another go to a fiscal stimulus package.

Treasury Secretary Mnuchin said mid US session that he was going to give it “one more try” for a new stimulus deal, words that appeared to resonate with House Majority Leader Pelosi, who also had constructive things to say about the prospects of it. To top it off, White House’s Meadows said “he’s seen substantial movement on a stimulus deal”.

The net effect in the last 24h, a day where we also had to account for some wild moves in the London fix as part of month/quarter end re-balancing flows, was the USD and JPY extending losses for yet another day (back-to-back-to back this week) as US stocks moved higher. The Aussie, Pound, Loonie and Gold were the winners on Wednesday.

Pay attention because in today’s video I reinforce the notion of how the analysis of order flow could have been the compass to anticipate today’s news yesterday (tomorrow’s news today if you will). I exhibit a few examples that will leave no stone unturned in how the predictive power of fractals-derived order flow gave us a prelude of the bullish action in the Pound or US indices to name just a couple of markets.

Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Risk On Prevails, GBP Goes For Wild Ride

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

There were two dominant factors steering the narrative lane in financial markets. On one hand, hopes for a US fiscal stimulus which by the end of the day were all but dashed even if US equites ignored it for the most part. On the other hand, the Brexit saga has come to its final stage and plenty of speculation in both front (deal and no deal) meant wild vol for the Sterling but no precisely conclusive in directional bias.

The USD and the JPY followed the very analogous script that has played out since the start of the week by losing further value while Gold and the Aussie continue to shine as part of this week’s micro relief rally that we are seeing in these to assets. The Kiwi follows them even if a notable laggards by comparison. The Euro, the Swissy and the Canadian Dollar were mostly unchanged when aggregating the flows.

Heading into today’s trading, the main event is without a doubt going to be the September US Non-Farm Employment Change, which happens to be the last before the 3 November US election. Estimates point at a number in the 900k jobs gains vicinity following just over 1 million new jobs created in August, with the unemployment rate expected to decline from 8.4% to 8.2%. Also, betting markets place slightly greater odds of a Biden victory post the TV debate.

Hot Trade Of The Day
To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. In this section I pick a market or several ones that presented an opportunity to buy on weakness or sell on strength based on the higher timeframes outlook. My video analysis below will further elaborate on the logic behind the trade.

Insights – Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Trump’s Heath Keeps Markets On The Edge

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets

The unquestionable driver to set the tone in markets as a new week kicks off is the health of US President Trump after being diagnosed with COVID-19 last Thursday. The news led to an upset in risk sentiment even if by the end of the day, it still felt as though the market behaved far from pricing in a worst case scenario where Trump’s health deteriorates significantly and the re-election odds shattered further following last Tuesday’s debacle of the TV-debate.

According to experts in the matter, even if Trump is 74 years old, and based on his medical history, he is considered within the high risk category risk, the chances of him getting through this one are in the upper 90%. Besides, there are reports circulating around that he could be returning to the White House as soon as today. Will that inject a renewed boost of confidence in financial markets? The jury is still out there. That’s the part where as traders we can just wait and observe.

What we can do, however, is to keep dissecting what type of ebbs and flows have transpired as of late in order to set us out with a directional premise. I will, therefore, keep hammering home the concept of fractals-based order flow to define the governing structures. In today’s video, I go through once again an example of the type of neat reads one can get when applying these concepts, in this case, in the EUR/USD market.

Hot Trade Of The Day
To see an expanded version, right-click and select ‘open link in new tab‘. In this section I pick a market or several ones that presented an opportunity to buy on weakness or sell on strength based on the higher timeframes outlook. My video analysis below will further elaborate on the logic behind the trade.

Insights – Hot Trade Of The Day

Important Footnotes

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

‘Risk On’ Flows Make A Comeback

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets​

‘Risk on’ flows was the name of the game with the Nasdaq 100 soaring by 2.32%, followed by the S&P 500 up 1.8% and the Dow Jones up 1.7%. The GBP was the main winner on Monday while risk-off associated currencies like the USD and JPY suffered.

With Trump well behind in the polls just one month ahead of the US election, hopes for a fiscal stimulus package returned as both Treasury Secretary Mnuchin and Pelosi talked and shared new proposals. Besides, the US ISM services also gave a boost to risk sentiment as it did the fact that Trump left the hospital, which by itself, judging by the sell-off it induced the news of his admission to hospital, may have fueled further the relief rally as short risk bets unwind.

Fundamentally, the Pound remains a lively currency to be trading (it made it to the trade of the day) as the UK-EU trade talks come to its final stage. Judging by the behavior of the Pound, there appears to be renewed optimism that the UK may get away striking a deal even if the weekend talks didn’t yield any significant break throughs yet. UK PM Johnson said that the UK can “more than live with” a no-deal Brexit.

As part of today’s hot trade of the day, I include an entry with long exposure in the British Pound against the Australian Dollar off what I marked as a key role reversal level following the formation of what I describe as a Trapped Traders pattern, which is at the very core of what my upcoming trading course will orbit around. Besides, GBP long inventory was in line with both the 4h and daily bullish trends.

Hot Trade Of The Day​

Insights – Hot Trade Of The Day​

Recent Economic Indicators & Events Ahead​

Important Footnotes​

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Trump Stops Stimulus Talks, Markets Sell Off

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets​

The news about the off-the-cuff decision by US President Trump to cancel further fiscal stimulus talks until after the election has been felt and is still reverberating around all corners of the financial markets with equities and the Aussie taking a severe hit.

On the other side of the equation, as one would anticipate, the fortitude in the likes of the US Dollar and the Japanese Yen is what transpired after what can be considered as a sudden and unexpected decision by the US President. After Trump’s hospital release following his COVID-19 diagnose, the market had built up expectations that renewed fiscal stimulus efforts would ramp up.

The reaction in financial markets clearly communicates that while Trump’s health does matter, it’s a fiscal stimulus agreement or lack thereof that the market is especially sensitive to. During Tuesday, this was clearly portrayed by the wild movements in all asset classes. So, be aware that we’ve suddenly transitioned from what looked like a constructive ‘risk-on’ environment to true ‘risk-off’ flows.

What’s interesting about this sell-off in risk is that some of most sensitive markets to the pendulum of risk being ‘on’ or ‘off’ were already telegraphing via order flow a potential rotations in fortunes for the interest of US Dollar bulls as clearly depicted by the AUD/USD. In today’s video, I will walk you through a short trade opportunity that emerged out of the interpretation of fractals-based order flow.

Hot Trade Of The Day​

Important Footnotes​

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

U-Turn In Risk Sentiment Yet Again

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets​

The state of unpredictability by the Trump administration continues to be well portrayed through the erratic market swings this week. Trump opened the can of worms by announcing the cancelation of further fiscal stimulus talks until the election is over. However, in just a matter of hours, there’s been a U-turn by Trump, tweeting that he would support a one-off stimulus for particular sectors. It is still a very dicey environment as to whether Democrats and Republicans can agree.

Trump tweet read: “If I am sent a Stand Alone Bill for Stimulus Checks ($1,200), they will go out to our great people IMMEDIATELY. I am ready to sign right now. Are you listening Nancy?” He also said that along with those checks, he’d agree in targeted stimulus for the airline industry ($25bn) and US small businesses ($135bn for the paycheck protection program), with unused funds from the CARES act.

The rebound in risk sentiment, driven by Trump’s tweet, represents an admission that the market still holds some hopes that some sort of stimulus deal in the US could still be reached before the election. The outperformance of the commodity-linked currencies (AUD, CAD) tells us succinctly this new shift in narrative with the EUR and CHF also holding up with style this waxing and waning by Trump. The notable loser for the day was the JPY with the USD rather neutral. The GBP traded fragile as the UK set October 15 as the deadline to walk away from further trade negotiations with the EU if no deal struck.

As per the FOMC minutes, even if it failed to be a market mover (the focus is on the fiscal stimulus and Biden vs Trump polls), the Fed hinted that they are prepared to step up to the plate once again if necessary by engaging in further easing post-election. This represents a new input that was not noted in Powell’s press conference in the last FOMC nor in recent speeches. The Minutes noted that “many participants had assumed additional fiscal support and that if future fiscal support was significantly smaller or arrived significantly later… some thought it would be appropriate to further assess and communicate how the Committee’s asset purchase program could best support…maximum employment and price-stability goals.”

Amid this back and forth in risk sentiment, finding instruments with well defined setups in the last 24h has been a tall order. Nonetheless, I’d like to highlight a short opportunity I’ve entered in the Gold market off the 8h chart (the best to capture session by session flows) in what I find to be a great looking setup by combining the two principles I teach. Firstly, the order flow has turned in favor of sellers off a key level of resistance. Secondly, the latest aggressive selloff created a trapped traders setup completion. Therefore, I’ve gone short at the retest of the previous swing low that led to the fake breakout.

Hot Trade Of The Day​

Important Footnotes​

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Follow Through In Risk Appetite​

Let’s get started…

Scan Of The Markets​

We’ve had follow-through ‘risk on’ flows as portrayed by the continuous rise in US equity indices alongside the outperformance of the Australian and the Canadian Dollar as Trump keeps the hopes for a fiscal stimulus deal alive. Mr. Market appears to behave as if sooner or later this deal will be struck by giving the benefit of the doubt.

Republicans and Democrats are back to the negotiating table for a broad fiscal stimulus plan after House Speaker Pelosi made it clear that Democrats will refuse stand-alone bills to aid airlines and other sectors of the economy. With Trump well behind on the polls, this appears to have re-ignited his interest to get a deal done, contradicting himself after stating that talks were canceled until after the election. Pelosi said she drew the “inference” that the Treasury secretary Mnuchin was interested in broader stimulus talks and hence further talks are now expected on Thursday. President Trump added fuel to the fire by noting that talks on a stimulus plan are “starting to work out.”

On Thursday, the ECB minutes were also released, further reinforcing the notion of the dovish rhetoric by ECB members. The Minuets highlighted the Council’s concerns of protracted weakness in inflation, which has only been exacerbated from a stronger Euro as well as the slow down in business activity given the pick up in COVID-19 cases. It’s interesting to see the ECB is starting to show further concerns over the EUR valuations, noting “the pace of the euro’s appreciation, rather than the level of the exchange rate, that could become a concern”.

One of the currencies lagging way behind other risk friendly fiats includes the New Zealand Dollar following recent dovish remarks by the RBNZ, in particular from the Assistant Governor Christian Hawkesby and Chief Economist Yuong Ha at a media briefing. The market appears to now be repricing negative interest rates in New Zealand for the first quarter of next year. Hawkesby stressed that inflation and employment are going to remain depressed well below the initial targets over the next three years, which indicates “a very clear signal in terms of our dual mandate to be providing stimulus.”

It is precisely this sluggish behavior in the Kiwi that I was able to capitalize on in the past 24h as the market initially delivered bullish prices through the Asian and European session only to trigger a ‘trapped traders’ pattern in line with the strategy I’ll soon teach for a 3:1 risk reward. One can see below the messages I exchanged with our Discord user Terry, who’s fast become, ahead of the launching of my trading course, a committed apprentice in trading the ‘trapped traders’ pattern.

Hot Trade Of The Day​

Important Footnotes​

MARKET STRUCTURES

MARKET MOMENTUM

PROJECTION TARGETS

Back