GOLD PRO WEEKLY , August 14 - 18, 2017

Sive Morten

Special Consultant to the FPA
Fundamentals

(Reuters) - Gold prices climbed to two-month highs on Friday, rising for the fourth straight day as investors sought refuge amid escalating tensions between North Korea and the United States, while bullion also
received support from weak U.S. inflation data.

U.S. President Donald Trump issued a new threat to North Korea on Friday, saying the U.S. military was "locked and loaded" as Pyongyang accused him of driving the Korean Peninsula to the brink of nuclear war and world powers expressed alarm.

Spot gold was up 0.2 percent at $1,287.91 an ounce by 2:03 p.m. EDT (1803 GMT), and set for its biggest weekly gain since mid-April. It earlier hit $1,291.86, its highest level since June 7. U.S. gold futures settled up 0.3 percent at $1,294.

"There is a continuation of flight to the safe havens after remarks on Thursday evening from Trump about North Korea," said Quantitative Commodity Research consultant Peter Fertig. "It's not very likely that these tensions will ease in the near future so the outlook seems supportive for gold."

Geopolitical risks can boost demand for assets considered safe-haven investments, such as gold. "There remains huge uncertainty as to how the current geopolitical crisis will play out and this may support gold
prices over the coming weeks," said Capital Economics in a research note. "On the other hand, if Trump's threats prove to be nothing more than inflammatory rhetoric – as on previous occasions – we would not be surprised to see the gold price retreat as the focus of investors returns to Fed tightening."

Data on Friday showed U.S. consumer prices rose less than expected in July, which was also supportive to gold.

"If you look at the gold price after the CPI (inflation) data, it tells you that the Fed is not going to be in any rush
to increase the interest rate this year," said Naeem Aslam, chief market analyst at Think Markets. "The level which we are looking at now is $1,300."

The dollar index dipped to a one-week low after the data.

COT Report

Sentiment on gold looks moderately bullish. "Moderately" is because rally is powered by short covering but not new injection of liquidity and gold purchasing. As data shows net long position increased for 4 weeks in a row, while open iterest moves in opposite direction. This combination only is possible if traders close shorts.
upload_2017-8-13_15-28-26.png

SPDR Fund shows strong divergence between physical reserves and gold price. While price has jumped solidly in recent week - storages are mostly stagnated. It means that sooner or later this divergence should be neutralized. My personal view is increasing of storages and gold turning to real bull trend.
upload_2017-8-13_15-33-37.png

Here is my 2 cents on situation

Actually guys, I suppose that FPA should initate some political blog - not to investigate who's right and who's wrong and not for debates, but for undertsanding what impact policy could make on markets. Something like zero hedge fund resource. You probably should know about it.

Right now it is too long story to put it here, but in two words I tell you what is going on. In early 90's world has got political vacuum as EU was under total control of US, USSR was destroyed, China power is yet to start to grow and it was no balance to US power in the world. This has led to global disaster as powerful political and economical clans in US have created above-government power. It was invisible and on paper it was the same Senate, Congress, President, elections etc, but in reality US power was controlling by limited number of persons who were in shadow and people thought that decision were making on behalf of president and in favor of US. But as you understand this was not quite so. I call them as "Demoncrats". H. Clinton is just a top of an iceberg, "representative", public person of their power. But they are everywhere - in government, mass media, culture, social institutes, and of course FBI, CIA, military forces, Congress and Senate (J. McCain, btw). So, these demoncrats have built spread chain across the globe to control governments of other countries as well. This was in Russia, in EU and everywhere. A lot puppet governments across the board and in recent times they were created by colour revolutions. This is strong 5th Column in US right now who were and partially are at power for decades.

So, just to not dive in wide talks, D. Trump and forces who stand behind him would like to re-establish normal parity between East and West and just live, make business etc with repsecting interest of each other in different regions. In two words - US should leave some positions and focus on its own domestic problems. For that they will get time for economy resturcturing and resolving problems with national debt to escape global financial catastrophy.

But in last 2-3 weeks situation in US is becoming dramatic. Demoncrats just can't calm down and do not understand that this is not D. Trump loosing power - this is US is loosing power due their dirty affairs and respect in the world. To crush demonocrats US could need hot conflict either outside - here I see that situation with N. Korea is not occasional, or inside US, to put all responsibility on Demoncrats and finally destroy them. This could be some kind of Civil war. When D. Trump just has come to presidency it was seemed that calm and gradual scenario will be, but now situation day by day is becoming worse.

Why I'm talking about all this stuff - it's all about gold. Gold will rise if our suspicions will be confirmed. But guys, don't think that I'm crazy and is under theory of global conspirancy... I'm really far from it. Demoncrats has lost their power as US currently can't resolve their problems by military forces. This time has gone. That's why demoncrats right now stands in very dificult situation. They can't support previous global order but they want it very much.
This is very cruel world, if some country controls the world for a long time but somehow it is clear that it has no military power to continue control it - other countries will take it place. I think particular these processes we see right now... And it is very painful for demoncrats. In one or other ways but demoncrats will be destroyed, but it could be really painful for simple people in US and some other countries who might be involved in this process.

Currently guys, wars are going different. We do not see any more mass distruction, because winner doesn't need huge mass of hungry population and totally destroyed infrastructure. Current war stands under cover and you could see just results. Thus, in 1991 USSR has been eliminated - was it destroyed physically? Surely not, but it was put under control and governing of western corporations, banks, different live style, social values etc. So, country was under external control, but without hot phase of war. Now we see the same in Syria - Russia totally controlled situation. No talks on "Assad must go" etc. Everybody understand that party is over. Demoncrats plan has been totally vanished. But - in mass media it looks like "war against ISIL". For the whole world population there is a picture - everybody in Syria - US coalition, Israel, Russia and everybody fights ISIL for 5 years. I'm not so naive to believe in this tales. So, the whole world's military power can't crush camel-drivers... It's an absurd. ISIL just was created to make matrix - false reality of real war. it was a disguise for ungoing process there... It is really wide topic, but I hope you've got the core.

So, putting its all together, I'm positive on gold market.

Technical
Monthly

So, on monthly chart I will keep picture of our bearish scenario, but in the light of recent events, chances that it will be realized have diminished significantly. As in July as in August (right now) we have tail closing of price. Trend has turned bullish again and it's really big chances that gold will break 1380 top. But as technically this has not happened yet - let's keep it for awhile as it stands right now.

Theoretically market still keeps double-sided setup as bullish as bearish patterns are not destroyed yet by price action. Crucial level for them is 1122 area. As we have discussed recently, upside scenario could lead market to 1330 YPR1 first and back to 1380 second, while bearish scenario you see on the chart...

As we talk about changes in sentiment last two weeks, let's take a look at alternative scenario on gold market, compares to what we've discussed previously. Scenario that we will talk about has not been formed yet and it has some degree of uncertainty as major levels that are crucial for this scenario, have not been broken yet.

In fact, our previous scenario on possible reverse H&S pattern is still valid. The breakeven point between these scenarios stands around 1120 lows. If Price will drop below it - gold siginficantly will increase chances on downside continuation.

It means that we could get either big Butterfly "Buy" pattern with potential target around 950$ or, at least "222" Buy around 1040 area on monthly chart . Until price stands above 1122 lows - there will be some uncertainty around them as gold also could form opposite pattern, we will take a look at it below. But breaking of 1122 will erase any questions...

gold_m_14_08_17.png

Weekly

In general weekly chart shows alternative scenario that stands in relation to the same 1122 lows. While market stands above this level - big butterfly "Sell" is possible, at least theoretically. It's first destination point stands at 1440.

Last 4 weeks was rather strong action here and gold for the 3rd time penetrates 1278 fib level, that is mostly erased. Trend has turned bullish again here. And most important thing on coming week is 1300 area breakout. This will be very important moment technically. In this case we will be watching for our nearest 1330 target - 0.618 of wide AB-CD pattern.

Now gold has more chances to do so, as harmony of daily pattern has been broken. Gold has no real barriers till 1370 top as major levels have been broken already. That's why short-term picture for gold also looks positive. Besides, recent poor inflation data on US economy keeps small chances on rate increase in December and that was major limit factor for gold.

gold_w_14_08_17.png

Daily

Daily trend is bullish as well. Friday action was not too strong, thus, here is mostly the same picture that we've discussed. The ceil for Mon-Tue action is 1300 area as there we have OB. But, only if we will not get new political inputs. Fundamentals overrule technicals and gold could move in OB strongly.

Here we see only one pattern here. This is butterfly "Sell" and it has the same 1330 first destination point. Most important for coming week is 1300 area and its breakout (or no breakout). It has good chances to be completed as market has broken harmony of our "figure" here, shoulder-type peak has been broken up. Besides, there are a lot of stops probably above 1300 that will provide fuel for jump to 1330...
gold_d_14_08_17.png

4-hour

Trend is bullish here and we have few moments to talk about. First is - no cross of 3x3 DMA yet. Thus, although thrust is good but no preliminary steps for DRPO or B&B were made. If we will get B&B "Buy" here - it will be royal gift really...

Second is high wave pattern. Mostly this is directional candle, not in terms of DiNapoli framework, but in terms of direction per se. Thus, if gold will break highwave up - upside action will continue and we should be ready for testing of 1300 area, while if price will drop down - be ready for B&B, I suppose.

Finally - we have bullish grabbers that significantly increase chances of first scenario - direct action right to 1300 area. They suggest that highwave should be broken up. Actually there are no real barriers above - no OB, no Fib levels that could prevent this - just MPR1. That's why this is very probable...

Still, if somehow gold will turn to downside bounce - watch for B&B "Buy" around 1276 Fib level, as price will gravitate to WPP that stands nearby.
gold_4h_14_08_17.png

Conclusion

Long term charts keep valid two opposite scenarios with thrilling scale. The separate line between them is 1122 area. Although theoretically both are possible by far recent global events and political affairs bring more chances on upside breakout.

In short-term charts chances on reaching 1300 also stand prefferable, but if still gold will turn to retracement, we could watch for B&B pattern around 1275 area.

The technical portion of Sive's analysis owes a great deal to Joe DiNapoli's methods, and uses a number of Joe's proprietary indicators. Please note that Sive's analysis is his own view of the market and is not endorsed by Joe DiNapoli or any related companies.

Hello Sive....each time I find the time to pop back here, I feel guilty as hell for being away for long periods of time.

I really highly appreciate your analysis which are insightful, clear, and accurate, and which I use to make trades on my forex account.
For the umpteenth times, thank you very, very much Sive for spending your precious time and energy in presenting to us trust worthy and reliable analysis.

Reading your analysis on the EUR/USD going back to the 1.3 levels, a feeling of déjà vu overcame me which is reminiscence of the EUR/USD back in 2012 (I think) when 5 Bankers decided to "rescue" the Euro and shot the EUR/USD to the 1.4 levels catching me (and probably 99% of other Traders) totally off-guard.

All the best and please do keep up the good work!

Thanks again Sive for the very thorough analysis, and I totally agree with you about bringing in some degree of policy into the discussion. After all, policy decisions are major driving factors behind sentiment.

And besides, anyone who wants to cry "conspiracy" only needs to take a brief look at some history, like the Trilateralism project (Holly Sklar wrote a good part on this in the 80's), Brzezinski and the neo-liberals (Chomsky covers that), or the cases of western-backed oligarchs like Khodorkovsky buying up assets for pennies on the dollar in the 90's in Russia.

The only thing about gold rising as a result of all the uncertainty is this bitcoin monster... everyone seems to want to use it as a hedge these days

when 5 Bankers decided to "rescue" the Euro and shot the EUR/USD to the 1.4 levels catching me (and probably 99% of other Traders) totally off-guard.

Yeah Rahman. Indeed. But here is another thing is coming. Yesterday US Treasury has announced 500 Bln (!!!!) bonds issue for 3rd Q. Such amount is very large, it has not been seen on market since 2008 crush. It seems that they see something, I do not know, may be dollar stands under hazard of devaluation (it is possible, if we will take a look at USD Index). But definitely this is artificial step to support US currency by drying liquidity. Half of a trillion will be put in bonds...And this is happening on a background of Fed balance clearance.
It means that we do not know something. Stats and media tells that US economy is improving (so as Fed) - put 0.5 Trln bonds and dry liquidity in this situation looks a bit curious...

Good morning,

(Reuters) - Gold prices fell on Tuesday as easing tensions between the United States and North Korea pushed investors to seek riskier assets such as equities. Spot gold was down 0.6 percent at $1,274.31 per ounce as of 0626 GMT. U.S. gold futures for December delivery shed 0.8 percent to $1,280.10 per ounce.

"It is safe to say that the safe-haven demand is badly quelled," said Naeem Aslam, chief market analyst at Think Markets. "The Asian markets are poised to build on this momentum."

Asian shares rallied and the dollar firmed, as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said he would watch the actions of the United States for a while longer before making a decision on firing missiles towards U.S. Pacific territory Guam.

U.S. Defence Secretary Jim Mattis however warned on Monday that its military would be prepared to intercept a missile fired by North Korea if it was headed to Guam. "...the latest comments by the U.S. defence secretary has upped the ante somewhat...So the latest pullback in the gold price doesn't mean that the bulls are out of energy," Aslam said.

Geopolitical risks can boost demand for safe-haven assets such as gold and the Japanese yen, which tends to gain in times of crisis on assumptions that Japanese investors will repatriate assets.

"Safe haven flows into the yen and gold has fallen a little bit because of improved risk appetite in the market," said OCBC analyst Barnabas Gan. "Some risk aversion is taken off the table simply because some concerns of the North Korean attack has eased."

Also weighing on the yellow metal was the prospect of another increase in U.S. interest rates this year, with one influential Federal Reserve member backing the move.

Spot gold may fall more to $1,267 per ounce, as it has broken a support at $1,278, Reuters technical analyst Wang Tao said.

Meanwhile, holdings of the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, SPDR Gold Trust , rose 0.53 percent to 791.01 tonnes on Monday.

So, as tensions have eased we haven't got immediate upside continuation on Mon, as it was one of our scenarios. Still, on daily chart we have potential steep butterfly pattern and chances to get bullish stop grabber tod-tom. That's what we will be watching for here:
gold_d_15_08_17.png

On 4-hour chart our high wave pattern has been broken down - thus, bearish action was continuing and now we probably can't talk any more on B&B pattern as there is definitely more than just 3 closes below 3x3 DMA. Still, gold has reached previous top support and we have clear and harmonic AB-CD on hourly chart. That's why some upside bounce is still possible here:
gold_4h_15_08_17.png

Here is the pattern on hourly chart - thus, either 3/8 or even 5/8 doesn't look as something outstanding. If you will drop time frame further - you'll get butterfly on 15-min chart. Anyway if you're searching for some trade on gold, may be this one will be interesting. As target you can use, say, harmonic swing of BC leg. In this case it should be ~ 1278 area and 3/8 Fib level...

gold_1h_15_08_17.png

Good morning,

(Reuters) - Gold prices inched up early on Wednesday after two days of losses, with investors awaiting
minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve's last meeting in July for clues on the pace of potential interest rate hikes.

Spot gold inched 0.1 percent higher to $1,272.81 per ounce by 0357 GMT, after falling for two straight days.
U.S. gold futures for December delivery was down 0.1 percent at $1,278.50 an ounce.

"I think we're starting to just see further opportunistic buying," said ANZ analyst Daniel Hynes. "There's potentially a little bit of rebound into the end of the week though obviously most focus will be on the FOMC minutes this afternoon. Any indication about a potential rate hike could derail that safe-haven buying."

Minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee meeting are due later in the day. Higher interest rates could boost the dollar, making commodities priced in the greenback more expensive for holders of other currencies. The dollar edged lower in early Asian trading on Wednesday, while Asian stocks rose as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delayed a decision on firing missiles towards Guam.

"We probably saw some of that selling that came in as tensions eased between North Korea and the United States become a bit overdone. Certainly, the underlying issues that started emerging last week are far from evaporated," ANZ's Hynes said.

Spot gold may test a resistance at $1,278 per ounce, a break above which could lead to a gain to the next resistance at $1,286, Reuters technical analyst Wang Tao said.

So, on gold market we've got bullish grabber yesterday and picture looks thrilling, but actually it is not as cloudless as we want it to be:
gold_d_16_08_17.png

On 4-hour chart right now we could easily recognize potential H&S shape, if market will drop directly to 1250 area. But, at the same time we could get alternative scenario - "222" Buy, if gold will show upside bounce from 1263 area. This will be quite another tune, as gold could turn up.
gold_4h_16_08_17.png

Probably we should get clarity till the end of the week. On hourly chart we have the same AB-CD pattern as yesterday, but now we will be watching for 1.618 target. Right now gold is forming butterfly "Buy" pattern and potentially it could trigger reversal at the same 1262.50-1264 area. If this will happen - then we could get chance of "222" buy, daily grabber etc. But, if price will drop through this area without any meaningful respect right to 1250 area - this will be clear hint on possible H&S pattern:
gold_1h_16_08_17.png

Good morning,

(Reuters) - Gold prices inched up early on Wednesday after two days of losses, with investors awaiting
minutes from the U.S. Federal Reserve's last meeting in July for clues on the pace of potential interest rate hikes.

Spot gold inched 0.1 percent higher to $1,272.81 per ounce by 0357 GMT, after falling for two straight days.
U.S. gold futures for December delivery was down 0.1 percent at $1,278.50 an ounce.

"I think we're starting to just see further opportunistic buying," said ANZ analyst Daniel Hynes. "There's potentially a little bit of rebound into the end of the week though obviously most focus will be on the FOMC minutes this afternoon. Any indication about a potential rate hike could derail that safe-haven buying."

Minutes of the Federal Open Market Committee meeting are due later in the day. Higher interest rates could boost the dollar, making commodities priced in the greenback more expensive for holders of other currencies. The dollar edged lower in early Asian trading on Wednesday, while Asian stocks rose as North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delayed a decision on firing missiles towards Guam.

"We probably saw some of that selling that came in as tensions eased between North Korea and the United States become a bit overdone. Certainly, the underlying issues that started emerging last week are far from evaporated," ANZ's Hynes said.

Spot gold may test a resistance at $1,278 per ounce, a break above which could lead to a gain to the next resistance at $1,286, Reuters technical analyst Wang Tao said.

So, on gold market we've got bullish grabber yesterday and picture looks thrilling, but actually it is not as cloudless as we want it to be:
View attachment 33347

On 4-hour chart right now we could easily recognize potential H&S shape, if market will drop directly to 1250 area. But, at the same time we could get alternative scenario - "222" Buy, if gold will show upside bounce from 1263 area. This will be quite another tune, as gold could turn up.
View attachment 33348

Probably we should get clarity till the end of the week. On hourly chart we have the same AB-CD pattern as yesterday, but now we will be watching for 1.618 target. Right now gold is forming butterfly "Buy" pattern and potentially it could trigger reversal at the same 1262.50-1264 area. If this will happen - then we could get chance of "222" buy, daily grabber etc. But, if price will drop through this area without any meaningful respect right to 1250 area - this will be clear hint on possible H&S pattern:
View attachment 33349

Open Long here
TIM截图20170817010511.png

Good morning,

(Reuters) - Gold rose on Thursday as the dollar remained subdued after minutes from the U.S. Federal
Reserve's July meeting hinted at a delay in further rate hikes, while palladium hit a fresh 16-year high.

Spot gold was up 0.3 percent at $1,287.01 per ounce by 0340 GMT, after gaining nearly 1 percent the previous day. U.S. gold futures for December delivery rose 0.8 percent to $1,292.80 per ounce.

"It's a dollar story and a concern that the market's been having with regards to geopolitical events," said Dominic Schnider at UBS Wealth Management in Hong Kong.

The U.S. dollar was on the defensive on Thursday after the minutes from the Fed's last policy meeting showed policymakers were increasingly wary of recent softness in inflation and some called for halting interest rate hikes until it was clear the trend was transitory.

"The market believes at the moment that there's not much inflation and the Fed need not do much," Schnider said. "We disagree, and believe the Fed will in September come with a balance sheet reduction and hike rates in December."

The U.S. central bank is roughly at the mid-point on its current path to normalize interest rates as the economy has shown further improvement even without fiscal stimulus, San Francisco Federal Reserve President John Williams told CNN television on Wednesday. Higher interest rates could boost the dollar, making commodities priced in the greenback more expensive for holders of other currencies.

Spot gold may test a resistance at $1,294 per ounce, a break above which could lead to a gain to the next resistance at $1,304, Reuters technical analyst Wang Tao said.

"In the shorter term, and in the absence of any geopolitical headlines, traders should watch the performance of the dollar against its G-10 peers for clues to gold's short term direction," said Jeffrey Halley, a senior market analyst at OANDA.

Fed minutes has made an impact on gold as well, thus we've got rally that we've talked about yesterday but it has started a bit differently on intraday charts, as we will see below.

On daily our grabber is valid and we've got another one yesterday. Thus, chances on 1300 breakout and moving to 1320 target have increased significantly. Now we need to keep an eye on minor intraday retracement:
gold_d_17_08_17.png

Gold has started jump up right from 5/8 Fib support. Here is another example how fundamentals overrule technicals. By technical picture - small leg down to 1363 was more logical as gold still was needed to complete AB-CD target and butterfly. This what we've talked about yesterday. But, Fed minutes has lauched gold immediately up.
gold_4h_17_08_17.png

As a result, AB-CD target has not been completed and we've got "222" Buy instead of butterfly pattern:
gold_1h_17_08_17.png

All that we could do right now is to wait some minor bounce down. Thrust up is suitable for DiNapoli patterns - either B&B or even DRPO. Thus, any of them could give us chance to go long and take position on 1300 area breakout...

Back