GUILTY Case# 2011-035 | Steve Callaway vs www.appleinvestmentcompany.com.au/

Based on the available evidence, do you believe that Apple Investment Co is guilty?

• Guilty

Votes: 74 90.2%
  • Not Guilty

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Steve, just want to know if you ever received a receipt for your online transfer?
I thought it was interesting that I never received a receipt, or tax invoice, or anything about GST, etc.
Is that legal?

Further to this, I have checked my PayPal receipt. It states that I paid for:
FX Calibre Education System
FX Calibre Education System: 3,300 $3,300.00 AUD 1 $3,300.00 AUD

This could be GST exempt?

I was then advised by my Apple "Senior Investment Consultant" that I had to pay more money, namely $6,300 which I undertook by direct deposit to their bank account.

I have now asked PayPal if I can still claim a refund of the $3,300 to my credit card account.

Incidentally it looks like they were purporting to sell education. I thought that was what I was buying, based on all my discussions. From memory I think the way I could get to look at the educational product was to open a FXCM account with a deposit. I put in the absolute minimum ie $300 to satisfy "support". Is that how it worked? There was no way I wanted to trade with it. I asked if I could come and have lessons but the idea was that I should teach myself using the program.

What happened to other clients? Did you get an education through the software?
Did you get a receipt or tax invoice? Fortunately I have bank statements showing where the money went to.
How much did you have to pay for your software?
I've got the impression that we all paid different amounts, based on what I have read elsewhere in forums.

Last edited:
What was I expecting
Simply that the software lived up to the claims they made.
They made many statements - in their brochure, on the website and verbally
None of them are true!
eg The ultimate wealth creation vehicle
Planting the seeds for a secure future.
FxCalibre is perceived by many industry professionals as the most elite system available on the market to date.
Trades consistently & profitably
Stated verbally that "because we have a financial services license it has to do what we claim" - (They no longer have a financial services license as of 4/4/11)
Claim to have not had a negative in the last 18 months.
Many other people have had similar experiences - see what google finds

No I didn't use it for 24 months. With one month showing a profit and the rest losses I would have been wiped out before 24 months.
After 10 months I would have had to have a consistent 30% return for the next 14 months to achieve the 13% profit that they have 'documented'.

In other words they have sold me (and many others) the software under false pretenses.

If you believe everything that people say, you'll lose a lot mate, forex other other. If i would tell you that i'm the best forex trader and i would bdouble your money in 1 month, would you believe me? (that's possible, but the risk is very high and you'll need a very high leverage). Instant profits are not available over night.

And if you say many other people had similar experience, why the heck did you buy their product?

Making profit out of forex is not that easy and a one time $100 or $1,000 or $10,000 payment would not give you the key to making money without doing anything - coz that's what autotrading and forex robots claims to do - if you're down to earth, you'll know that this is not possible, never ever never - otherwise everyone would do it.

Due diligence mate (and if it sounds too good to be true then you know what that is...)

If you believe everything that people say, you'll lose a lot mate, forex other other. If i would tell you that i'm the best forex trader and i would bdouble your money in 1 month, would you believe me? (that's possible, but the risk is very high and you'll need a very high leverage). Instant profits are not available over night.

And if you say many other people had similar experience, why the heck did you buy their product?

Making profit out of forex is not that easy and a one time $100 or $1,000 or $10,000 payment would not give you the key to making money without doing anything - coz that's what autotrading and forex robots claims to do - if you're down to earth, you'll know that this is not possible, never ever never - otherwise everyone would do it.

Due diligence mate (and if it sounds too good to be true then you know what that is...)

When I was sucked into buying this software about 12 months ago there wasn't any negative comments or postings apart from one case where the guy was refunded his money.
See https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/fore...8895-apple-investment-company-fx-calibre.html
In hindsight I was very naive and not very well informed about forex trading and the sales people did a brilliant job in convincing me and many others that this would do as claimed.

Steve, just want to know if you ever received a receipt for your online transfer?
I thought it was interesting that I never received a receipt, or tax invoice, or anything about GST, etc.
Is that legal?

Further to this, I have checked my PayPal receipt. It states that I paid for:
FX Calibre Education System
FX Calibre Education System: 3,300 $3,300.00 AUD 1 $3,300.00 AUD

This could be GST exempt?

I was then advised by my Apple "Senior Investment Consultant" that I had to pay more money, namely $6,300 which I undertook by direct deposit to their bank account.

I have now asked PayPal if I can still claim a refund of the $3,300 to my credit card account.

Incidentally it looks like they were purporting to sell education. I thought that was what I was buying, based on all my discussions. From memory I think the way I could get to look at the educational product was to open a FXCM account with a deposit. I put in the absolute minimum ie $300 to satisfy "support". Is that how it worked? There was no way I wanted to trade with it. I asked if I could come and have lessons but the idea was that I should teach myself using the program.

What happened to other clients? Did you get an education through the software?
Did you get a receipt or tax invoice? Fortunately I have bank statements showing where the money went to.
How much did you have to pay for your software?
I've got the impression that we all paid different amounts, based on what I have read elsewhere in forums.

Hi Nerdie No I didn't get a receipt but I do have bank records. Not sure about the legal aspect.
You are right - no mention of GST - the Tax Dept might be interested!
I got minimal education in the form of one on one by telephone. It was informative but I would have been better off reading a book. They did have some info in the on-line traders lounge.
I paid way too much for the software $5600 and it seems that they sold it for whatever they could get.

Last edited:
Attention: All FxCalibre software owners

Did Apple Investment Company or their representatives or any of their product documentation or promotions state or imply that you were purchasing a "gambling or computerised betting product"?

Why? Because that is how the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission has classified FxCalibre!

If you were told or given information at the time about FxCalibre being a gambling or computerised betting product, would this have influenced your decision to purchase?

I know without a doubt that I would not have purchased the software if I had known that.

How about you?

SCAM!

Thanks, Steve. It would be interesting to find out what other people paid for this software at the beginning. I think you're right - whatever they could get for it.

Regarding the GST, I'm going to request a receipt from Apple Investment Company via Shane Andrews, in writing. I'll also advise Shane that if I haven't received the receipt showing GST and compliant with the 1999 GST Act and all other Tax Statues relevant in Australia at the time of purchase that I will understand this to mean that I am free to create a tax invoice showing what I paid and claim for the GST component for investment education.

Further to my investigations and reporting to ACCC, FOS, etc. I have a reply from ACCC which amazed me.
ACCC regards the FxCalibre trading software as gambling and betting software!
Extracts from their reply: (Not sure how to do attachments in this forum)
As your inquiry relates to the operation of a betting system, it may be of interest to you that the ACCC has previously been successful in court action against some vendors of horse race betting software for misrepresenting the benefits of the products.

Under section 29 of the ACL
a person must not, in trade or commerce, make false or misleading representations in connection with the supply or possible supply of goods or services or in connection with the promotion by any means of the supply or use of goods or services. This includes misrepresentations that goods or services have sponsorship, approval, performance characteristics, accessories, uses or benefits. Additionally section 18 of the ACL prohibits a person, in trade or commerce, engaging in conduct which is misleading or deceptive, or which is likely to mislead or deceive.
In conjunction with the Queensland Office of Fair Trading, the ACCC has also issued a warning to consumers about computerised gambling systems. We would advise you to read it: Computerised gambling systems.

Well, so much for the educational value of the FxCalibre trading software!

As well I have gained the impression from their email that ACCC haven't received enough complaints about FxCalibre for them to do anything much about the information I gave them:
"The information obtained from individual complainants is used to establish a pattern of behaviour by a particular trader or in a particular industry. The ACCC’s consumer protection focus is on national issues and those localised issues that have wider public interest implications. The ACCC would generally pursue this type of complaint only where there is significant detriment, usually evidenced either by the number of complaints it receives and/or the magnitude of any loss suffered by consumers. At this stage the ACCC is not in a position to confirm what, if any, action may be taken on this matter. However, in the meantime this information will be used in the context of our ongoing monitoring."
So it's back to the Office of Fair Trading for me and possibly the Small Claims Tribunal. I've gotten this far, I may as well add that to the list of organisations that know about what seems to be my one solitary claim! Unbelievable that I'm alone in this action!

Where are all the traders that are voting "guilty" on this poll? Do any of you (apart from Steve and myself) have an issue with Apple taking your money under false pretences? Do any of you want to get their money back for the software and/or costs associated with this "investment"?

If so please take the time to phone or write to:
- Financial Ombudsman Service
- ACCC
- ASIC
- Office of Fair Trading

The details are on their websites.

Don't just expect these organisations to find your grievance on a trading forum - or worse still read your anonymous mind.

Please, every one of you, make the effort, otherwise they won't take our claims seriously. They need a large number of complaints before they will act, known as a "critical mass".

Also in your reports be prepared to put dates and names and any other specific evidence you can find. It adds to your credibility.

My final information is that everything that I've send to these organisations has been forwarded by a third interested party to his contacts at ASIC. There are some honest dealers with profile in the investment industry who want this matter investigated properly and restitution made to those who have been misled by the conduct of the Apple Investment Company. Let's support the honest dealers with our letters of complaint to the relevant authorities asap! It's really important to do this now - time is of the essence.

Happy trading!

PS - Important update:
Don't bother phoning these government/NGO/regulatory bodies. It's more effective to write a physical letter to them enclosing the story of your experience with Apple Investment Company, especially the sales tactics they used with you and the way you were treated. Apple think they've covered themselves with their conditions. They haven't. Feel free to use any of the information I have posted about the ACCC determination and the rest if it helps your case. If you get to an online submission that won't go through to the department or organisation, print it off and post it, snail mail. You'll find this happens with the Financial Ombudsman Service. And their online forms don't give much scope for your complaint evidence - print it and send it in by mail. It's very much more effective if they receive this information in the post as it's "real" and tangible. It also underlines the lengths you were prepared to go to in order to let them know what happened and alert them about the nasty tactics used by the Apple Investment Company.

Finally in deciding whether Apple are guilty or not guilty, consider how the law is skewed and distorted from the original concepts of natural justice and common law. Like "boiled frogs" over time we adapt to the idea that we can't do anything about it. We can, and we are. In "legal" terms Apple are guilty of misleading and deceptive conduct and of breaking Australian Consumer Law. In common law terms without a law degree I can see they are guilty - they are ducking for cover and have been since last year. Their Financial Services Licencee dropped them quite a while ago for their "practices". Does that tell you something about their behaviour? Without financial backing to pay for a clever lawyer they would be running for their lives from us. It's coming :)

Apple Investment Company are GUILTY - and they know it. They are on the run from us.

Thankyou FPA for giving us the opportunity to look at what Apple Investment Company have done and express how this has affected us and left us feeling.
The word is out around the world - Apple Investment Company are bad news. If you won with their "software" you were the exception - it's like backing the winning horse in the Melbourne Cup!
At least I know now I'm not the only one who is totally frustrated and disgusted with the disrespect shown to me, as a fellow human being, by their so-called "support" team.

Last edited:
Due deligence

I quite agree with you. Its very important to read through agreements and conditions between the line properly. Also its very important to ask lots of questions from a vendor before buying a product so that you can have something to hold him/her.

From the analysis so far, the agreement looks like you must have traded with the product for 24months (which to me is weird and unrealistic) before placing any claim (good or bad). That was the catch. Although its quite unfortunate it happened this way but if you had done lots of underground checks and committed the vendor to your conditions before buying the product then at least it would have been much easier to nail him/her.

Well its normal to see adverts claiming 100% performance, but we all know that they are just adverts and one should not take them seriously until you can get verifiable evidence. Thats why i love what the FPA are doing (testing all kinds of products on real and demo accounts) for every interested person to be guided.

Well i wish you'll somehow get something out of this. But next time conduct in-depth checks on anything before delving in and try to commit vendors by asking questions especially about the areas which are vulnerable to you.

Financial Ombudsman Service

Steve,

I feel that this provider is subject to the Australian Financial Services legislation and that you are entitled to ask the Financial Ombudsman Service for assistance.

The Financial Ombudsman Service is available at: How to lodge a dispute :: Financial Ombudsman Service

Lodge a complaint and the Ombudsman will assist you immediately, it takes time, as all matters pertaining to law, however, persistence will pay off.

Good luck.
Carl

Re: Financial Ombudsman Service

Unfortunately Apple Investment Company are not members of the FOS.

I have a reply from FOS today referring me to the Office of Fair Trading Queensland.

Dispute with Apple Investment Company Pty Ltd
Case number: 242645
I refer to your dispute with Apple Investment Company Pty Ltd.

Jurisdiction to consider the dispute
The Financial Ombudsman Service only has jurisdiction to consider disputes if the financial services provider concerned is a member of the Financial Ombudsman Service. Unfortunately, Apple Investment Company Pty Ltd is not a current member of the Financial Ombudsman Service. This means we cannot consider your dispute.

Other assistance

You may be able to obtain assistance with your dispute from another organisation. I suggest you contact:

Queensland Office of Fair Trading
GPO Box 3111
Brisbane QLD 4001
Web: Fair Trading : Department of Justice and Attorney-General
Local call: 1300 658 030
Fax: (07) 3239 1589

Contacting government departments and regulatory bodies one at a time is time consuming and frustrating.
As well I get the impression that maybe they don't pass on information to each other.

Of course each one needs to make sure that I'm a genuine and sufficiently motivated claimant and not just trying to slander a company or individual without just cause and substantial evidence. Then they usually need a large number of complaints to justify action.

Balanced against that is the real possibility that by the time anyone catches up with Apple Investment Company in Surfers Paradise the money will have "disappeared" and the company will have few assets or have folded entirely, especially if they think they are likely to have problems with the authorities.

In the end if I believe I have a genuine grievance that is not being dealt with appropriately I can also raise the issue with my local parliamentarian, the minister for the relevant authority and even the Premier and Prime Minister. Most of the people at the front line in government agencies have limited powers. Going to the top when you're sure of your facts generates a direct enquiry process from the minister to the department expediting answers and can even be mentioned in parliament. At least that way you won't just be ignored, like I seem to have been by Apple.

Alternatively in Australia there is always "A Current Affair" and other consumer affairs programs plus internet and mainstream media always looking for a good story, scoop or expose. Who knows - you might even get paid for telling your story to them!

Last edited:
Original Education Program Document From Apple Investment Company

This is the original Education Package documentation received from Apple Investment Company.

I just checked my correspondence with my Apple Representative.

Just after my purchase (26/2/2011) I had a massive change in my day job workload. On 19/3/2011 I began requesting the refund of my education payments as I was not going to have the time to devote to learning trading (offline, of course).

The whole thing was rigged to get people to trade live. I clearly was suspicious and wanted to know why I had to set up an FXCM account for "live" trading on my system.
And why I had to deposit funds ($300 - the minimum) in order to open the learning platform.
The more I was contacted and nudged along the more resistant I became, quite apart from my workload and extra responsibilities.

I now know why they were so keen to "get me going" with FXCM - they would have eventually been pushing me hard into "live" trading if I'd done the education course because that's how they made their money.

Whether a trader won or lost Apple Investment Company got a "rebate" from FXCM for every trade. No different to a gaming machine in a casino, really.

In another forum on the Apple scam (recommended reading: My Disappointing Apple Investment Company Experience) one trader had his fee refunded because he had made Apple Investment Company so much money.

It is clear from my emails that I kept telling my "representative" that I really didn't have time for any of this now owing to my work commitments and reminding him that I didn't want to trade live at all and what I really wanted right from the first contact and continually was a "passive" investment for my money.

In reality if Apple Investment Company had done what I requested in my original contact 18th February 2010 they would have made more money out of me from the management of my planned investment in the MDA than they made out of insisting that I get a Forex education before being allowed to join MDA, refusing my request for refund and making me into one very unhappy customer - who is not giving up on her refund or on getting justice, anytime soon!

I'm claiming costs and expenses incurred in chasing my refund and conducting my own investigations plus lost MDA investment returns in addition to the original purchase price.

Attachments

• apple-furtherinformation.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
You had to see this coming. A 2 year trading period before a refund? I've had accounts wiped out in two days. Obviously a scam, but you have to wonder who is dumb and who is dumber?

Back