Historical Event Significance.

tenthousandpips

Recruit
Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

I’ve been trading for 22 months now and am about even. I’m one of those creatures that really does enjoy historical pair analysis but I have my limits.

What I am looking for I would think is rather simple so please let me know if you have any suggestions.

While I don’t try to scalp the news I do take it into consideration for a very classic trend / SR method. I want to be able to look at charts (1M, 15M, 1H, 4H) for certain news events (high impact mostly).

I use the calendar at forexfactory.com because it has simple filters and bar charts of the last announcements, their forecast / actual values etc back to 2000.

For example the Canadian Overnight Rate:

I use MT4 and Tradestation via FXCM, but I HATE not being able to input a date range, candle length and display the chart. For example, the last time this forecast was different then the actual was April 21st 2009 at 9AM EST. So I would like to see a 1M chart from 8AM to 10AM.

Without having to Scroll from Sep 2010 to Apr 09 on a 1M chart.

If you know of a place that will provide this ability, be it via website, charting or smoke signals ill personally send you homemade cookies.!!!!!

May your day be filled with pips.

10K:mad:

Did you say you are using Tradestation, or Tradingstation?

Back in my futures trading days, there was an free indicator for tradestation that plotted news on the chart. This was so you could historically determine the effects, and drill down into 1min bars to see what happened.

I have to warn you though, futures and forex are different animals when it comes to news. In futures there are at least orders you can see and try to hit.

In forex, they are quoted from banks who are known to pull quotes just before news. This means that aggregate feeds get spreads widened as participants go black.

Then they can step back in at a completely different price, which might hit you far away from where you were trading.

In my experience there aren't too many players who will stand behind their quotes.

Once I was trading a large order with a bank, I won't name names, but let's just say it rhymes with meutsche bank. There was a massive spike, way before the news. Big loss. Did they fix it, or fix me? Nope. Got away from them fast.

Good luck, I like the way you think!

Back