how long to stay on demo

Kokomaster

Private, 1st Class
Hi Carollyn,

I normally use the demo account for 3 months to understand the trading style. I would recommend you to open a demo account with any broker before trading with the actual funds since it will help you to practice and understand your broker well.
I hope that helps
You did right for doing it for 3 months as it takes time to know and then practice some of the basic tools of Mt4. Then you should not leave demo because you will need it to study new tools and strategies in future.

simmonjoshua

Recruit
In my opinion, very little. Demo can be used to test your strategy and to check the platform. By checking I mean to test the trade execution, how to place and close trades etc. I think 1 month for this is enough.

RachelEB

Corporal
Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
Short answer, as long as you need. :) there is no rush.

Once you are consistent, start with a small account to take in to account your mindset and emotions when trading real money!

steveday76

Private, 1st Class
Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
i used demo for about 3 months. I still use now seometimes when i am testing out new strategies.

LuckoftheFX

Private, 1st Class
I didn't use demo for long, i moved onto a small live account quite quickly. I do still use demo for testing things out mind.

sebking1986

Sergeant
The answer is as long as it takes for you to see consistent results. Bear in mind that you barely scrape the surface on psychology until you stake real money so put that battle off until you have the simple battle won or well on the way

ScottHughes

Private, 1st Class
1 to 2 years? Have you ever tried to do that ? I don't think so because even if you demo just 1 strategy for 3 months, you will be trading in live account because that is more than enough if you demo seriously.
I agree but you still need tour demo to help you evolve your strategy when the economics change

Jim B

Private, 1st Class
I would use demo until you feel comfortable to put some of your money into it just start off small.

DaveT

Sergeant
There is no set limit. If you are making regular profits in demo you should go live with micro lots and take it from there.....