how long to stay on demo

Swing trading is style trading that makes more comfortable during trades, it's very different when using scalping trading that might fully emotion when one loss or two-loss, swing trading also trader don't need always in front of the chart, they can leaving the chart and drinking a cup of coffee with his cigarette.

Not for too long. I have heard too many stories when the traders couldn't start trading real money because of the fact that they got used to demo so much. I recommend to start with demo and master the trading platform. So that you will be able to make pending orders, change the charts settings or add some indicators and so on. After it you can start trading microlots or test some trading strategies on your demo account. Some people think that demo account will give them some knowlege and experience concerning trading, however, it is not true because demo account will never test your psychology and emotional factor which play crucial role in trading.
Yes, the fact that you don't experience trading psychology effects on a demo account makes it a little hard to get the same results on a real account. In my opinion it's okay to take as much time on a demo account as you need, you just have to be careful when switching over to a real account.

Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
Until you feel confident and comfortable with it

I know it will be hard for many traders to swallow what I am going to say but I truly believe that rather than doing any good, demo trading for too long can actually harm a trader. The reason is, no matter how hard you try you can never treat a demo account as a live account. While demo trading you’ll always have this at the back of your mind that your actions will have no real consequences. Even if you blow up your demo account you’ll forget about it really soon and refund a new account. If you are a new trader there are chances that you will carry these bad habits from your demo account to a real account. It’s better to demo trade only for a few weeks and then shift to a small live account.

The most problem practice in the demo account is without involved emotion, but actually depending with mindset trader, if on the demo they want to really learn, hence they will practice fully discipline, included how to manage account with adjusted position size, risk-reward, trading strategies, etc, good habit in the demo will help later work in real account.

As long as it takes to master one pair with your chosen strategy.
Even then its good to use demo to tweak your strategy or try out a new one

While there's no fixed timeframe for staying on a demo account, it's generally recommended to spend a sufficient period to gain proficiency and confidence. This can range from a few weeks to several months, depending on your learning curve and commitment to practice.

It's important to note that trading on a demo account may not replicate the exact conditions and emotions of live trading. Therefore, at some point, it's advisable to transition to live trading with a small amount of capital that you can afford to lose. Starting with a small real-money account can provide a more realistic trading experience and allow you to further develop your skills and adapt to the dynamics of live markets.

Ultimately, the decision on how long to stay on a demo account should be based on your individual learning progress, comfort level, and readiness to transition to live trading.

The length of time you spend on a demo account ultimately depends on your individual needs and goals. Some traders may only need a few days or weeks to get the hang of things, while others may benefit from months or even years of practice on a demo account.

Back