how long to stay on demo

The winning ratio should be good on demo accounts then you should have a good experience to manage a certain amount on demo. When you are able to do trading on some limits and feel now you can confidently handle market situations then switch to live account .
That is a real point that our winning ratio with a limited amount should be good on demo trading. Not be hopeful with thousands of capital used in demo. You should judge your skill with a certain amount treating it like your real money is being used and you have to protect and grow it. That is the proper time when you think now you will do good trading on real account.

The main thing when practice in the demo account is seriousness, learn to keep discipline with the trading system, make a journal trading, keep to apply to stop loss and take profit to learn best trading setup, trying hard to get a strategy with low drawdown

The main issue with demo is that it is emotionless, and Mental is the most important thing in trading, the ability to control the left brain (seat of emotions).
It is easy to trade/play with money you don't have isn't it?
So to answer to the question: I guess a month maybe is enough to test your new strategy but it is much better to test it with real account using micro-lots, at lease you will get a hint of a stress..
More tips in this video that i have recently made for newbees

Thanks

Erik

I will say 4 to 6 months of demo trading is suitable for traders. Just 2 months are not enough. They can know forex market in 2 months but are not fully trained all about risk management, plan and using different strategies for good trading. For this they need a purposeful trading practice for more couple of months. Even after switching to live account they can continue their demo practice for more polished trading.

You can spend 1-2 months or 1-2 years in trading demo account then move to real account. You need to make an aim for reaching on demo account, then you can move on real account.

1 to 2 years? Have you ever tried to do that ? I don't think so because even if you demo just 1 strategy for 3 months, you will be trading in live account because that is more than enough if you demo seriously.

Yeah, you're right, you can't base your timeline on any other individual's experience. Only you can understand when you can move from a demo account to a real one. You have to feel confident enough on the demo so you can change it. It takes for every trader a different time, starting from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. It depends a lot on how often you're trading demo, so I can't say anything concrete. As long as you're comfortable staying demo trading and you want to develop more confidence in your skills - stay there and move forward only with 100% confidence.

Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
Until you are consistently profitable.

Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
Hi Carollyn,

I normally use the demo account for 3 months to understand the trading style. I would recommend you to open a demo account with any broker before trading with the actual funds since it will help you to practice and understand your broker well.
I hope that helps

Hi Carollyn,

I normally use the demo account for 3 months to understand the trading style. I would recommend you to open a demo account with any broker before trading with the actual funds since it will help you to practice and understand your broker well.
I hope that helps

You did right for doing it for 3 months as it takes time to know and then practice some of the basic tools of Mt4. Then you should not leave demo because you will need it to study new tools and strategies in future.

In my opinion, very little. Demo can be used to test your strategy and to check the platform. By checking I mean to test the trade execution, how to place and close trades etc. I think 1 month for this is enough.

Back