how long to stay on demo

Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
Short answer, as long as you need. :) there is no rush.

Once you are consistent, start with a small account to take in to account your mindset and emotions when trading real money!

Hi there.

I'm still a newbie. I've been reading through a lot of posts and the consensus is to definitely demo trade before even thinking about using or losing my cash. For those avid traders, how long did you trade on a demo account before moving over to a live account. I know I can't base my timeline on any other individual's experience....but would just like to hear a few suggestions :)
i used demo for about 3 months. I still use now seometimes when i am testing out new strategies.

I didn't use demo for long, i moved onto a small live account quite quickly. I do still use demo for testing things out mind.

The answer is as long as it takes for you to see consistent results. Bear in mind that you barely scrape the surface on psychology until you stake real money so put that battle off until you have the simple battle won or well on the way

1 to 2 years? Have you ever tried to do that ? I don't think so because even if you demo just 1 strategy for 3 months, you will be trading in live account because that is more than enough if you demo seriously.
I agree but you still need tour demo to help you evolve your strategy when the economics change

I would use demo until you feel comfortable to put some of your money into it just start off small.

There is no set limit. If you are making regular profits in demo you should go live with micro lots and take it from there.....

According to my trading strategy, it is beneficial to stay on demo and live simultaneously because trading has a wide spectrum to play with the various strategies and trusting your instincts; in which demo accounts can help. But defining a time period to first stay on demo and then creating a live account does not appeal to me. I started with the least investment and operated on both my accounts and have learned a lot that way.

Back