Look at Greece

With the noise slightly low on Greece and now Italy is another issue gaining momentum.Could these events coming up one after the other could be the beginning of the collapse of the currency and the union?

That's like saying that a little problem with real estate loans could cause major bank crashes in the USA. That could never happe . . . . oh wait, nevermind.
;)

How about these facts? According to this article Greek Intelligence Service Probes Market Speculators - www.capital.gr "Greece's spy agency, the National Intelligence Service, has joined efforts with other European agencies to investigate financial funds speculating in Greek markets during the continuing crisis, a local newspaper reports Friday."

It goes on to say that "Those funds include U.K.-based Brevan Howard, U.S.-based Fidelity International, and U.S.-based hedge funds Moore Capital and Paulson and Co., the newspaper said."

Let the conspiracy theories pour out!

Euro sceptics love situations like this to drive the wedge of "we told you so" deeper into the wound. In fact anyone with an axe to grind will be out pointing their finger accusingly at their enemies shouting it's all their fault!

We as currency speculators are first in line for the guillotine I guarantee. :)

My own personal axe has been sharpened in honour of the cretinous politicians who have done nothing but create their own sinking ship, actually it was more like a small rowing boat that everybody was trying to climb into.

These pompous self important fools have potentially ruined a rather wonderful idea with their rapid expansion schemes and poor fiscal controls.

Wether this problem of debt poses any real near term threat to economic stability is difficult to say, the real threat, in my opinion, comes from the markets perception of the problems and if the market starts to panic..... well you know the rest, no politician will stop that beast.

We still have around 1000pips to go down before we arrive at the same price we had at this time last year.

THE END IS NIGH!! :)

That's like saying that a little problem with real estate loans could cause major bank crashes in the USA. That could never happe . . . . oh wait, nevermind.
;)

In as much as it might be unthinkable that the problems of some countries in eurozone may lead to its collapse but there was a speculation that Greece may leave the bloc.Let us assume that it actually came to pass in the near future,definitely,the currency market will react to it and possibly cause more problem for the EUR.

What will befall other crises ridden countries;Italy,Spain,Ireland etc?It is only time that will tell.Pharaoh,do not forget that the United State has the capacity to deal with its domestic problems but do you think Germany will be so magnanimous to give bail-outs at the expense of its tax payers.Do not forget that Germany is still struggling to come out of recession.Therefore,who will be the ''FATHER XMAS''to these countries,will it be IMF,if so,what will happen to the integrity and pride of the bloc?For the EUR to be strong,it needs the stability and confidence of the economies in the union.

Who will provide soft landing for the EUR,i mean who will act as a balancer?

Last edited:
Personally, I'd go long on the Euro if the ECB kicks Greece (or Italy) out. That would show that the rest of the Eurozone is serious about not letting countries break the rules with impunity. Dumping one or more of the slacker countries would make the rest of the Eurozone that much stronger and will put the remaining countries on notice to shape up or else.

The flipside of this is that if "thinning the herd" gets too aggressive, the Euro will just end up getting renamed the Deutchmark.
:p

That's unless it depreciates too much first; then it would be called the Deutchscratch. (Mark...scratch....crater)

Yeah. That's why my holdings in MattressBank include quite a bit of physical metal.

Think about it - paper money only has value because the issuing government says so and we all agree to it. What happens if/when that level of confidence fades significantly???

Very wise. What about grass and cigarettes? Would be easier to handle in everyday trade....;)

Shhhh.... they'll find out about the secret warehouse full of things to smoke. :p

Shhhh.... they'll find out about the secret warehouse full of things to smoke. :p

Why don't you share the warehouse secret or the secret warehouse as the case may be with us,after all,we are suppose to be our brother's keeper.

Back