MetaQuotes vs. a number of companies.

and about time too! ;-)

i'll say it until i am blue in the face: there is so much better than MT4 out there. and if you are concerned about running EAs on another platform, it is fairly straightforward to port from MQL to EasyLanguage, C#, or even eSignal's Javascript dialect. or find someone who does that for you. there are a couple of shops out there that will do it for you for a reasonable fee.

so there is nothing, no compelling reason not to ditch MT4 once and for all, to switch to something superior such as (in no particular order):

eSignal
TradeNavigator
Sierra Chart
ProRealTime
tradingView.com
NinjaTrader
TradeStation
Ensign
CQG
ProTrader (which allows coding in both C# or MQL4)
ITCharts Advanced by IT-Finance

and probably more.

so please do yourself and the world a favor: ditch MT4. the market will thank you for it. ;-)
I use MT4. I like MT4. Things like this have me planning to take some time exploring alternatives to it.

For the sake of argument, let's assume that some of the accused may have done something wrong to copy signals in some unacceptable fashion.

How does this explain MT4 sharing sites (like FPA Performance Testing, Myfxbook.com, and more)? Since when is logging in and gathering data from a statement (with the account owner's full permission) against any rules?

Too tight of control can push a good product out of the mainstream. Zuijlen is right about Apple. They tried to keep their grip too tight and handed the market to Microsoft and the PC makers for quite some time.

I think Princess Leia summed it up just about right:

The more you tighten your grip, Tarkin, the more star systems will slip through your fingers.

I use MT4. I like MT4. Things like this have me planning to take some time exploring alternatives to it.

Yes, gathering data from a statement with the account owner's full permission isn't bad, but MQ probably don't find other way than block multiply connections from one point... :)
Yes, people like MT4 but not as trading terminal - they like big codebase of EA's that was build last years... For manual trading I always use native Oanda's terminal as 8 years ago, but my EA's use MT and never sleep... About MQL flexibility - it's great and unlimited! One of my EA play poker when I sleep and win big tournaments... So you need not MT4 - you need EA power grown by worldwide community for years...

Attention to traders using ZuluTrade and Tradency

There have been articles written about a new build of MT4 that may cause problems for Tradency (Mirror Trader) and ZuluTrade connections. While I can't speak for other brokers, both Tradency and ZuluTrade connect to FXCM's back office directly using our API. Often times whenever another website or service provider wants to offer an additional service to FXCM clients, we're happy to work with them by offering our API which is free to use. This offers a much more reliable direct connection without interruption in services that could result from going through a third party connection. FXCM clients using ZuluTrade and Tradency have not been impacted during this entire period.

Zulu used reverse-engineered solution to connect directly to any MT4 server and this not legal... I think ALL signal services that don't care about subscribers losses need to be closed! - they MUST check every manager not less than half year before adding his signals... Metaquotes made first step to protect investors and I hope NFA will made main step by defining rules for worldwide signal services - it's clear now that NFA have enough impact for this...

Today Metaquotes is going after signal services. Tomorrow they will force all EA developers to sell their EA's through Metaquotes' marketplace and get a piece of the pie, just like Apple gets a cut of all IPad/IPhone Apps sold. But don't worry, it's just MQ's way of protecting traders from unscrupulous EA vendors. ;)

mt4 really should have alternatives. will some firm step up to the plate?
brokers hedging their bets are really not that surprising.

i don't use Zulutrade, Tradency, and the others being mentioned here, so I am curious if there are "alternatives" to them as well, as Metaquotes pointed out?

There have been articles written about a new build of MT4 that may cause problems for Tradency (Mirror Trader) and ZuluTrade connections. While I can't speak for other brokers, both Tradency and ZuluTrade connect to FXCM's back office directly using our API. Often times whenever another website or service provider wants to offer an additional service to FXCM clients, we're happy to work with them by offering our API which is free to use. This offers a much more reliable direct connection without interruption in services that could result from going through a third party connection. FXCM clients using ZuluTrade and Tradency have not been impacted during this entire period.
is the free API also offered to clients?

I'm thinking of taking cTrader out for a test drive and seeing how I like it.

I find it interesting that someone would list EasyLanguage or Tradestation among the alternatives that are so much better than MQL4. Especially EasyLanguage. And in my mind it's not so much the language but the surrounding infrastructure: data feed from brokers, capability to automatically place trades with brokers, etc. There is a reason why the MT4 platform has been successful, despite continued snobbery from some. Even OANDA has now an MT4 option (which beats the $600/month API option they used to have, or maybe still do) and the snobbery at their forum is without bounds.

Back