Moving Averages: Which ones you use and why?

What site/sites can I/we begin to look at moving averages.

The “Telethon” is coming up soon. Don’t make me go Jerry Lewis on you to get an answer.

A key thing that I did not catch in this thread is:
What site/sites can I/we begin to look at moving averages.
Guppy is a paid subscription, are there any free MMA (Multiple Moving Averages) sites for beginners to play with?
Then what site does anyone else use, either free or pay? Forexwatchman what site are you getting you MMA’s from?
"

On the subject of MMA's, could someone please tell me what the best time frames are for multipule MA;s? I am a newbe with forex, and am trying to figure out which MA is the best to use, SMA, EMA ect and the time frames for them. I want to be in and out of my trades in the same day. Some of the online studies I have looked at show different times for them, but I am not sure what would work best for me, sorta need a starting point and adjust from there, it seems to me that I would want the most current price action, just do not know what to plug in.

Thanks

Bud

Great questions Bud, and I will give you my short and to the point answer, but feel free to ask more.

Which time frame is the best?

You will have far less fakeouts on a higher timeframe (anything 4 hrs and up) than on lower timeframes, but there are ways to resolve this problem on the lower timeframes.

Which MA is the best to use (SMA, EMA, Weighted MA, etc)?
Impossible to say. All of the variations of MA's result from an attempt to fix the flaws of the previous one but also lose the benifits of the previous one in the process. it's best to combine them like I do with my alligator indicator settings.

Where's the best place to start?
Learn about the three main types; weighted, simple, and expotential MA's. Then explore the most well know strategies using MA's, which you can start by exploring the Guppy and Alligator already mentioned in this post. That should give you a clue as to whether or not this indicator will fit your trading style to begin with. All MA strategies involve one of two things: a crossover signals a new trend, or price action's location with regards to the MA indicates the markets bias (bullish or bearish).

I would also suggesting looking into Constant Range Bars. They eliminate the sideways movements of time bars which destroy the ability of moving averages to track movement.

ie. a minute bar (1 min, 15 min, etc) can have an extended period of time where there is no action. So bump, another bar gets posted as time goes by. Every time a new bar posts with no price movement, it causes the moving average to turn sideways.

The trend may then continue, but the moving average has now been adulterated.

So investigate alternative bars to examine price action differently, and it will help any moving average, or any indicator for that matter.

-Trader 5of7 of TheCollectiveFX-

Back