MT4 acting funky

Generally Windows asks you whether you want to "force" a shutdown if you haven't closed all your programs before turning the computer off. I often forget to turn Skype off and Windows asks me about that. If you do nothing it should turn itself off anyway, mine does.

Generally Windows asks you whether you want to "force" a shutdown if you haven't closed all your programs before turning the computer off. I often forget to turn Skype off and Windows asks me about that. If you do nothing it should turn itself off anyway, mine does.

Apparently, I had a bunch of corrupted programs in Windows itself after the uninstall/reinstall. One of my neighbors spent several hours on my desktop yesterday re-doing the whole install and we put a new copy of MT4 on this morning. He said a lot of people are having problems with this and Windows is *supposed* to put out some more "fixes" for those of us who reverted back to Windows 8. I used to be able to do all this stuff myself, but after 8 years of having only Apple products, I got a BIT spoiled! ;) (Hush Pharaoh!! :cool: )

I am stubbornly sticking to Windows 7 because MT4 works well on it, as well as a number of other programs I am using. I know that sooner or later I'd have to move to Win8 or Win10, but until I have absolutely no choice I'll keep using it. It's not that I have anything against Win8 or 10, but I am a creature of habit and I dislike changing operating systems and getting used to the new ones when I can avoid it.

I am stubbornly sticking to Windows 7 because MT4 works well on it, as well as a number of other programs I am using. I know that sooner or later I'd have to move to Win8 or Win10, but until I have absolutely no choice I'll keep using it. It's not that I have anything against Win8 or 10, but I am a creature of habit and I dislike changing operating systems and getting used to the new ones when I can avoid it.

Yes i am also using the MT4 trading platform in y trades as this is very easy to do trading with and i am able to earn a good income from it also :)

8 isn't too bad-at least not with my touchscreen monitor. I'd still prefer 7, but when my Uncle got it for me, it had 8 pre-installed. MT4 works fine on 8 now that (hopefully), I've undone all the damage that FORCED Windows 10 upgrade did. It took almost a MONTH to get everything reinstalled and get rid of all the corrupted files!! I haven't heard quite as many horror stories of the upgrade being "forced" on Windows 7 computers, but most people I know have done everything they know to prevent it. That website MakeUseOf has some great tutorials on how to block the forced download & upgrade to 10 from both Windows 7 & 8, if you need it! Unfortunately, on my new 8.1 machine, MicroCrap forced it anyways...

8 isn't too bad-at least not with my touchscreen monitor. I'd still prefer 7, but when my Uncle got it for me, it had 8 pre-installed. MT4 works fine on 8 now that (hopefully), I've undone all the damage that FORCED Windows 10 upgrade did. It took almost a MONTH to get everything reinstalled and get rid of all the corrupted files!! I haven't heard quite as many horror stories of the upgrade being "forced" on Windows 7 computers, but most people I know have done everything they know to prevent it. That website MakeUseOf has some great tutorials on how to block the forced download & upgrade to 10 from both Windows 7 & 8, if you need it! Unfortunately, on my new 8.1 machine, MicroCrap fthatorced it anyways...

For a while I had no idea that they were forcing this update, I found out by accident while reading a technology-related site. There was an article from a guy who had this happen to him and for some reason the update locked or corrupted some of his files. I spent the next hour or so looking for a way to block this from happening on my computer. In the end I just turned off the recommended updates and only allowed the essential ones. So far so good. I have nothing against Win10, but I have no desire to change my OS at the moment, I feel perfectly comfortable with it.

For a while I had no idea that they were forcing this update, I found out by accident while reading a technology-related site. There was an article from a guy who had this happen to him and for some reason the update locked or corrupted some of his files. I spent the next hour or so looking for a way to block this from happening on my computer. In the end I just turned off the recommended updates and only allowed the essential ones. So far so good. I have nothing against Win10, but I have no desire to change my OS at the moment, I feel perfectly comfortable with it.
Hi again Diana-just a few tips: there's actually a few more things you have to do; at least I did, (following the posts about this at makeuseof). Depending on when you turned off the updates, you may already have the Windows 10 files downloaded onto your computer. I had it on both an older Windows 7 laptop AND the new desktop. The instructions on MUO show you the exact folder its hidden in. Although I'd disabled my updates AND deleted the Windows 10 files, the update STILL was forced onto the desktop (Windows 8.1) somehow. My friend that fixed all my corrupted files said he's only heard of this happening on the newest systems that, for one reason or another, shipped with 8.1 instead of 10. I read posts on both Dell & HP forums that were about this-I had thought maybe HP had put something specific on it that had over-ridden everything I'd done to prevent it-but it's microcrap-not the manufacturers. I actually went through a bunch of manufacturers and tech forums trying to find ALL other ways of blocking this. Lol, if you need any specific websites, let me know! I bookmarked them for my kids' use. My daughter's husband has an expensive gaming system, but it's got components that aren't compatible with Windows 10. He followed step-by-step the manufacturers instructions to prevent the upgrade and danged if he didn't end up with it when he woke-up one morning. He was NOT a happy camper-but luckily their best friend is a computer repairman and reseller & he downgraded & fixed Mike's computer that same day.
Still though, with the havoc-and even damage from missing & corrupted files; I can't believe MS is getting away with doing this. When I complained about this on the HP forum, I got over 400 replies in 2-3 days! Next time I talk to my daughter, I'm going to ask her if Mike knows of a class-action (he's in his last year of law school & is interning with an attorney who handles this kind of thing) against MS. Considering all the VERY trivial class-actions out there, I'll be surprised if there isn't one yet... I had all but a couple of documents (pertaining to the database I'm still trying to make for a trading journal), backed-up before the forced upgrade. I lost those, but mainly it was dealing with all the corrupted system and program files that ticked me off. Altogether it was over a month before I could get someone to figure out exactly what was making my programs act so weird, (like MT4)
Anyways-GOOD LUCK!! Let me know if you need any of those links!
e

Back