MT4 acting funky

So far, my laptop has resisted the urge to do more than pester me about updating.

Hi again Diana-just a few tips: there's actually a few more things you have to do; at least I did, (following the posts about this at makeuseof). Depending on when you turned off the updates, you may already have the Windows 10 files downloaded onto your computer. I had it on both an older Windows 7 laptop AND the new desktop. The instructions on MUO show you the exact folder its hidden in. Although I'd disabled my updates AND deleted the Windows 10 files, the update STILL was forced onto the desktop (Windows 8.1) somehow. My friend that fixed all my corrupted files said he's only heard of this happening on the newest systems that, for one reason or another, shipped with 8.1 instead of 10. I read posts on both Dell & HP forums that were about this-I had thought maybe HP had put something specific on it that had over-ridden everything I'd done to prevent it-but it's microcrap-not the manufacturers. I actually went through a bunch of manufacturers and tech forums trying to find ALL other ways of blocking this. Lol, if you need any specific websites, let me know! I bookmarked them for my kids' use. My daughter's husband has an expensive gaming system, but it's got components that aren't compatible with Windows 10. He followed step-by-step the manufacturers instructions to prevent the upgrade and danged if he didn't end up with it when he woke-up one morning. He was NOT a happy camper-but luckily their best friend is a computer repairman and reseller & he downgraded & fixed Mike's computer that same day.
Still though, with the havoc-and even damage from missing & corrupted files; I can't believe MS is getting away with doing this. When I complained about this on the HP forum, I got over 400 replies in 2-3 days! Next time I talk to my daughter, I'm going to ask her if Mike knows of a class-action (he's in his last year of law school & is interning with an attorney who handles this kind of thing) against MS. Considering all the VERY trivial class-actions out there, I'll be surprised if there isn't one yet... I had all but a couple of documents (pertaining to the database I'm still trying to make for a trading journal), backed-up before the forced upgrade. I lost those, but mainly it was dealing with all the corrupted system and program files that ticked me off. Altogether it was over a month before I could get someone to figure out exactly what was making my programs act so weird, (like MT4)
Anyways-GOOD LUCK!! Let me know if you need any of those links!
e

My computer is running Win7 and it's not an HP device, and I think I've deleted the already downloaded update, so I think that there shouldn't be any problems for now, considering what you are describing, but I will definitely keep your words in mind. The last thing I want is to wake up with a changed OS. Frankly, even if everything works properly with Win10, getting used to it is just an unnecessary hassle that I wish to avoid if I can help it. Once again, thank you.

My computer is running Win7 and it's not an HP device, and I think I've deleted the already downloaded update, so I think that there shouldn't be any problems for now, considering what you are describing, but I will definitely keep your words in mind. The last thing I want is to wake up with a changed OS. Frankly, even if everything works properly with Win10, getting used to it is just an unnecessary hassle that I wish to avoid if I can help it. Once again, thank you.

I have used the Windows 7 for a considerable period of time and from my own trading experience i can say that OS has no role to play :D

I have used the Windows 7 for a considerable period of time and from my own trading experience i can say that OS has no role to play :D

It does when Microsoft FORCES the upgrade to Windows 10, (which MT4 and most other platforms aren't compatible with yet), and then all your files either get corrupted or disappear when you try & revert back to Windows 8.1 (OR 7-although as I said above, it seems it's mostly the 8.1 systems that are getting the forced upgrade-whether we want it or not!) My Dad got a laptop last Fall and had them purposely install Windows 7 on it before he got it. It upgraded one night as he slept-lol, he hasn't touched it since! BUT, I'm sure that was because it was so new.
I'm actually really liking being able to use my iPad to trade in MT4 and there's a good charting app I can use on the iPad too. It doesn't have quite as many bells & whistles as using the programs on my MAC or PC; but it WORKS! So, in THAT sense, you're right! I've actually read a couple of articles now claiming you HAVE to have a high-powered, brand new system with at LEAST 16Gigs of RAM (and at least 3 monitors, "the more the better"). BULL!! I've spoken to several people trading with just one, older computer & monitor and just 1-4 Gigs of RAM. Maybe it's different with stocks, but I think I personally have MORE than what I actually need!

MT4 should work fine on Win10, I think, but in on itself that isn't the issue. If I have to be getting used to a new operating system and/or I have technical issues with other software or corrupted files due to the change, I will have to pay attention to and solve those problems rather than trade. Which is a problem, in my opinion. I'd rather have this change happen on my own terms, if and when I am ready for it, rather than it just happening and then having to deal with it when I am busy with something else, which is usually trading.

MT4 should work fine on Win10, I think, but in on itself that isn't the issue. If I have to be getting used to a new operating system and/or I have technical issues with other software or corrupted files due to the change, I will have to pay attention to and solve those problems rather than trade. Which is a problem, in my opinion. I'd rather have this change happen on my own terms, if and when I am ready for it, rather than it just happening and then having to deal with it when I am busy with something else, which is usually trading.

Yes i have tested the execution of orders on the Windows 10 using the MT 4 and it works :p

Yes i have tested the execution of orders on the Windows 10 using the MT 4 and it works :p

I went to go find where it said not to use it on Windows 10 and got sidetracked in the "market", (I'm VERY ADD and like a kid in the candy store looking at all the indicators and EAs :p ) I'll look when I get home today.... I remember seeing it in several places, but I think one was my broker's site. I don't know if it would have worked on my installation because I couldn't use ANYTHING after the upgrade-my whole system went crazy! (Complete with the curser moving on its own, Windows opening & closing, even Cortana was talking to me-again RUSSIAN!! Lol!!) When I first downgraded back to 8, the problem with MT 4 I had was from corrupted files from the downgrade.

I know that little-by-little other companies that make Windows software are fixing the compatibility problems. But like you Diane, I don't want to deal with it until I absolutely HAVE to. I don't have the patience or time I used to have when I could sit there and tinker with the system all night long... (Gettin' old....although my daughter sent me a birthday card this week that said "Happy 35th Birthday, You're NOT Over the Hill YET!" Lol, she's off by over 20 years, but said that since "50 is the new 30" that was as close as she could get...:cool:)

I am also use windows 7 now, but my old computer still run with windows xp, and till now my platform still work fine, except version mt4 need to updated because old version must update mt4

Still I prefer more to use Windows 8 as 4 of my laptop and PC all running Windows 8. Tried Windows 10 but it seems really unstable to use now.

Back