• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

New Trader in U.S. - ECN brokers - choose spreads or “free” stuff?

rogersjd14

Recruit
I am a brand new trader located in the United States. I have researched basically every broker that accepts U.S. clients and have narrowed it down to two ECN providers: Trader's way and Vantage FX.

Trader's way seems to have slightly tighter spreads, but Vantage FX has additional free offerings such as News Terminal, MT4 Smart Trader, and free VPS. These "free" offerings are available if I trade 20 or more standard lots of a currency in a month.

As a new trader (I'll be trading on demo server for a while btw), should I expect to trade 20 or more lots of currency in a month? Let's say I start with $1000 in capital, and I utilize leverage?
Also, are these Vantage FX free offerings worth giving up the slightly tighter spread? Does anyone have experience with these two companies in these regards?

Finally, from everything I am reading, Oanda seems to have a pretty slick integration with Trading View in terms of charting. Any validity in dropping ECN brokers for the newer tech from a market maker like Oanda? (cTrader is not available in the U.S... we are kind of stuck with MT4, MT5)

Thanks so much!

John

20 lots per month means a 1 pip spread (and/or equivalent in commissions) will cost you $200 of your $1000. That's far too heavy of trading for a 1k account.

Back