1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!! New Traders Court !!!

Discussion in 'Scam Alerts' started by AsstModerator, Dec 6, 2018.

1. 4evermaat

4evermaat 2nd Lieutenant

I noticed since now there is not a folder for "open cases" and really there is no need for one anyway. I say that new court cases should that need voting participation should engage site visitors more directly in 3 ways:

1) be put as a dedicated section ABOVE the stickies of the scam alerts. This is just for open cases links and maybe keep them up for about a week after voting is complete. But the ones currently up for a vote need to be sorted towards the top. post-voting threads can be sorted to the bottom.

2) In addition, there should be a site-wide announcement above the breadcrumb navigation of all forum pages (except for the trader's court case and the scam alert page maybe) that there is xx active trader's court case(s) in session. Please vote with a direct link to the cases, or link to the scam alert page # where the active traders court cases will be shown above the sticky threads.

This screenshot will illustrate points 1 and 2 positioning more clearly.

fpa new traders court suggestion dedicated section above stickies and sitewide annoucement box.

This can be hidden by an x which would be good for 24-48 hours before it reappears. But it can be also be tied to a username also. So if that user has voted already for all open cases, then the user does not have to see it after closing it the first time.

3) Alerts (alerts tab) should be issued once a week for anyone who has not yet voted for a case. A separate alert issued for each case.

fpa new traders court suggestion add alerts.

Maybe this can also check if a user has already voted for a particular court case. And then no reminder alert for that user to vote is necessary.

2. 4evermaat

4evermaat 2nd Lieutenant

Also, I think that there should be some additional forum scripts that check to see if a review is done and/or a scam alert thread. In other words, if a review is posted, but no scam alert thread you can send 2 reminder emails to post a scam alert thread with evidence. You can also use the "alert" feature on the website to send reminder alert to that member

And vice versa: if a scam alert is posted but no review is detected (pending or live) from the same user, then remind the user to do this with 2 reminder emails and the website alert feature.

This may help reduce the number of mismatching "reviews but no scam alerts" or "scam alerts but no review" situations.

3. AsstModerator

AsstModerator FPA Forums and Reviews Admin

Currently the coders are 100% engaged in preparing to upgrade the forum software. As soon as that is completed, I do plan to have better interactivity between the forums and reviews.

Increasing post counts for invitations means I then have to check to see if someone is really participating or just post-padding. The 2nd post in the thread and 4 day delay is primarily to weed out hit and run complaints from wasting time on escalations.

Since this makes votes less frequent, the mailings contain links directly to the voting thread. When the forums upgrade is done, I'll see if there's a way to do a site-wide note, but if someone has already ignored 2 emails, I don't have a lot of hope that this will lead to a large increase in votes.

kalle67, FxMaster and 4evermaat like this.
  4. 4evermaat

4evermaat 2nd Lieutenant

4 new trader's court improvements:

1) any resolved threads should not be locked immediately. Instead, 5-7 days should be given to follow-up with the OP to ensure everything was resolved and to answer any follow-up questions. You could still mark the thread as resolved, and set a timer to lock the thread automatically after 5-7 days.

FPA Forums Team Note: The amount of time to lock the thread ranges from immediate to one month. How suspicious AsstModerator is of whether the settlement is correct is one major factor. The other is how soon he gets around to noticing the thread is resolved. :)

2) new users should be given a warning for the first 5 new replies to non-OP threads, asking them to create a new thread instead of replying to a new thread. Maybe require a checkbox or radio selection between options:

"i've been scammed by the same company and need help. I will open an independent scam thread with evidence"
    "I'm replying to add comments or question about existing OP scam. I will not mention my own scam case here."

Specifically informing them that if they are reporting a scam that affected themselves or people they know personally to open a fresh thread and submit evidence.

A lot of people keep finding an existing thread about a broker that scams them and then reply to it with their own scam situation.

This popup can appear either when they attempt to add a quick reply or reply to a thread and they are considered to be new (less than 5 posts, signed up within last two weeks, etc). It wouldn't appear if they are replying to a thread where they are the OP or have already submitted a reply.

Herding new members is difficult. The ones who make their first post in a thread which already has suggestions of opening unique threads show that people in a hurry often will ignore any instructions given. We are passing the suggestion on to the coders.

3) update the rules to explain what trading activities are covered or not covered. Specifically when it comes to IB/affiliate commissions from brokers.

AsstModerator has done some updates in several places. It's possible some have been missed. Please send him links to areas where this isn't covered.

4) The reviewer user profile needs to be hyperlinked to their FPA profile. Currently a user creates a review, but there is no way to check the user's profile info. You have to manually search for the user to access their profile.

fpa review member profile not clickable hyperlink.

In the forums, each new post has a clickable link to the user's profile.
    fpa forum member post clickable profile link.

We've been complaining about this ever since reviews showed who was a registered user. The coders have promised to try to make changes after the next forums upgrade.

5) somewhat related to Reviews: I noticed that guests are still allowed to post reviews.

Guest reviews are only given 50% of the weight of a registered review in calculating the rating.

We are happy to let you know that ending guest reviews is on the priority list of upcoming projects. We hope it happens within 1-2 weeks of the forums upgrade completion.

FxMaster likes this.
  5. 4evermaat

4evermaat 2nd Lieutenant

@Amin3f @Cotney

Please create your own scam alerts thread with your timeline of the alleged scam, along with evidence.

[​IMG]

This thread is only for discussion of Trader's court rules/suggestions, not individual cases.

6. 4evermaat

4evermaat 2nd Lieutenant

A couple more important issues:

1. Make Create New Thread in Scam Alert folder an exact template instead of a standard subject/body/poll post.

This will enforce new scam alerts to have evidence more properly gathered and in an easy-to-read timeline of events.

• one line summary of incident.
    • Summary of scam event (Under 500 characters)
    • Date/time of alleged incident. summary of incident. Proof of scam (account statement, email confirmation, etc)
    • Did you contact company's support team about the instant? Date time of contact
    • Did you get a reply? Date time of reply. proof
    • additional notes [can be like 5000 characters]
    • additional proof [attachment boxes]

This one you can actually implement now as you already seem to have a template from the old trader's court. You made sure to have several form items that had to be filled before the trader court thread was started. This same concept can be immediately applied to the scam alerts new threads.

[​IMG]

And within the form template, you can have explanations next to each section. But also there can be a sticky explaining how to fill out the form. @AsstModerator said it himself:
    So really if this is the case, then all new scam alerts should have a template that OP fills out to create new thread.

We can't keep allowing new and even older forum members to "figure it out" when it comes to creating a timeline of scam events and then having to ask the same questions over and over. We must guide OPs from before the OP is posted to create a post that has the proper sequence of events from the very first post. And a template-style create new thread form for scam alerts is a perfect way to implement this. It will cut down on rework 80+%.

I'll be more than happy to work with the programmer(s) to get the format correct, although I think most of it can be easily adapted from the old trader's court form.

7. mikek1

mikek1 Private

I think that this makes a lot of sense. I also think that many people are probably put off or confused by the layout of the site. That's not necessarily a criticism, there's a lot here and it takes a significant amount of practice to learn to navigate around. Like anything else, it's easy when you know how but difficult enough to frustrate newbies, especially if they're running around like headless chickens having just had their life savings stolen.

4evermaat likes this.