Newbie question about server speed

darkorns

Recruit
Hi,
I'm about to open my first account, but I just realized the FX Primus server is too slow. I used Alpari UK for demo and I didn't even think about server speed. Then I went out to compare other brokers and please see attached.
I mean I'm not affiliated with any of this, but Primus striked me with so much difference, candlesticks appear garbled or shorter.
I find only FX Open to be near if not faster than Alpari

Is speed important, please tell me what you think? I'm confused even more because Primus has better reviews than Alpari.

I almost forgot, I checked this speed also on my VPS (Chicago) and it's the same.

Thanks!

Darkor

Attachments

• primus-alpari.JPG
    primus-alpari.JPG
    604.4 KB · Views: 23
  • fxopen-alpari.JPG
    fxopen-alpari.JPG
    615.3 KB · Views: 20
  • aaafx-alpari.JPG
    aaafx-alpari.JPG
    589.1 KB · Views: 17
Re Newbie server speed

My personal opinion is that to a large extent server's low speed have some consequences as it does not tell you exactly what is happening in the market at the specific given time frame

I've got this explanation from Fx Primus support:

Thank you for your email.

Please note that different brokers use different liquidity providers. Looking at your attachment Support notes that there is about a 2 pip difference. This could very well be related to a difference in the spreads.

Please let us know if you have any further inquiries.

Still don't understand why some candlesticks appear garbled or shorter or even non-existant. Even if you are not scalping, it's not a good feeling when on a long-run trade your Take Profit level is about to be touched and it didn't.

A 2 pip difference can happen between brokers. If you regularly start seeing larger differences that are only in the direction of your stoploss, then it's time to change brokers.

Some brokers are filtering the data and providing you with what they want you to see.. And I know when I've moved from Alpari demo to a real account. The demo accounts are heaven, micro spreads, no slippage, no re-quotes just too good to be true. But when you start on a real account there's the reality

Hi,
I'm about to open my first account, but I just realized the FX Primus server is too slow. I used Alpari UK for demo and I didn't even think about server speed. Then I went out to compare other brokers and please see attached.
I mean I'm not affiliated with any of this, but Primus striked me with so much difference, candlesticks appear garbled or shorter.
I find only FX Open to be near if not faster than Alpari

Is speed important, please tell me what you think? I'm confused even more because Primus has better reviews than Alpari.

I almost forgot, I checked this speed also on my VPS (Chicago) and it's the same.

Thanks!

Darkor

Hello Darkor,

Speed in trading is important, but the speed of your execution matters more if you scalp or trade in a manner that requires pinpoint accuracy in price points.

For the most part, all brokers have different speeds of latency, or the speed servers speak to each other. If your broker is an IB or white-label, the latency may be slower than a broker that uses a propitiatory trading platform.

To get the best latency you should try and do the following if possible.

-Try and get a broker as close to where you live as possible, but at least in the same country.

-Find out if they own the trading platform they use, are a ib or white-lable, or if they use a bridge.

-Don't count on demo to learn latency speed. Open a small account and try it out LIVE.

-Also note that the more you trade in value, it may slow down even if it is fast to begin with. Trading 100 lots is a lot different than trading 1 micro.

The bottom line is that FX is a business and needs to be treated as such. Do your homework and find a broker that fits your trading style and goals. Don’t be to hung up on spread price.

Hope that helps,

:cool:- Bear

I have used one broker for 2 years now and running the account on a VPS from England consistently gives excellent results, very low latency and as most of the time we are copying a master account from Australia, another broker, we get filled on our trades generaly 10% plus with our ECN account. So no complaints. Their move to Cyprus has though caused some big problems regarding withdrawals and deposits as they seem to have left their brains behind in Mauritius and now only bank wire transfers seem to work despite all they blurb on the homepage regarding deposits and withdrawals.with credit and debit cards. I think they mean well but their back office is staffed by *******

I have used one broker for 2 years now and running the account on a VPS from England consistently gives excellent results, very low latency and as most of the time we are copying a master account from Australia, another broker, we get filled on our trades generaly 10% plus with our ECN account. So no complaints. Their move to Cyprus has though caused some big problems regarding withdrawals and deposits as they seem to have left their brains behind in Mauritius and now only bank wire transfers seem to work despite all they blurb on the homepage regarding deposits and withdrawals.with credit and debit cards. I think they mean well but their back office is staffed by *******

It is always better to check if the Broker is reputed one and it can be done by checking with the other traders :)

I will tell you from my own experience that terminal speed is one of the key factors that are important for profitable trading. So test the demos and look for the one that will just fly, it is your money and safety.

Oh, there's still an important point, if the platform is browser-based, then your browser needs to be cleaned all the time, because cookies can slow down all systems. Then any terminal will not work at full capacity.

Back