• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Oanda units and pip value

fnewbiex

Recruit
There is something that i cant seem to understand. So lets say that the value of a pip is 1$ and this corresponds to 10000 units but why when i make an order with 10000 units the value of each pip is not 1$ but 0.1$. For example i calculate the pip value i want to risk and its about 0.6 then i make an order of 6000 units and on a 50 pip movement i earn or lose 50x0.06$ and not 50x0.6$
What am i missing?

Hey fnewbiex,

Here is how I see the situation:
So
1 lot = 100 000 units (standard lot)
0.1 lot = 10 000 units (mini lot)
0.01 lot = 1000 units (micro lot)

For example EURUSD pip value is 10$ per pip when 1 standard lot is executed, then the pip value is 1$ if 0.1 lot is executed, etc.
In your case, you execute 6000 units which is 0.6 lots (mini lot) so in this case the pip value should be 0.6$
If you are 100% sure that you see 0.06$ as P/L, then you should probably check the lot size on your platform and make sure it is 0.6 and not 0.06 (there is an additional zero) which makes it a micro lot and therefore makes your earnings 0.06.
Also note that these calculations are not for every currency pair and they may fluctuate a bit.
Wish you profitable trading!

Thank you for answering
I think i found what im missing
Screenshot_2.png

if you see at the chart in mt4 it shows a movement of 808 while the lots are 0.1 and the profit is 65. So i suppose this 808 is not pips and the actual pips are 80?

Hey fnewbiex,

I'm glad that you found what you needed.
Yes, most probably what you see is points (pipettes), not pips.
Most currency pairs in MT4 have 5 digits after the decimal and the 5th number is the pipette.
In your case you have CADJPY where the 2nd number after the decimal is the pip and the 3rd number is the pipette.
Good luck!

Back