optimal trading times

proftrader742

Recruit
Hi folks,

I am a relative newbie, I have been trading forex on demo about 6 mos. I am curious. I keep seeing references to optimal trading times, yet I have never seen (or found) those times actually delineated in an article. Do optimal trading times actually exist? Or, is this an "I'll know them when I see them" type thing?

Thanks so much

That totally depends on your trading style, currency pairs, and broker.

Some brokers widen spreads a LOT during slow times for a currency pair. Some widen them a LOT during active times for the pair. Some do both.

Generally, a currency is most active during the sessions that the home countries of each currency trade in. Thus, the GBPUSD and EURUSD will be most active during the London and US sessions (especially during the overlap) and least active when both those markets are closed (much of the Asian session).

AUSJPY would tend to be most active during the Asian session, when the Sydney and Tokyo sessions overlap.

USDCAD has it's highest activity during the New York Session.

As always, these are general guidelines and strange things have been known to happen.
:D

Thanks so much, I've been working with GBP/USD EUR/USD USD/CHF. Not sure I've developed a style yet, would love to day trade/scalp but have a day job and frankly just don't trust bots riding herd on my money so I think I'm probably going to move into longer time periods which will I think be easier to manage. Thanks for the enlightenment.

That totally depends on your trading style, currency pairs, and broker.

Some brokers widen spreads a LOT during slow times for a currency pair. Some widen them a LOT during active times for the pair. Some do both.

Generally, a currency is most active during the sessions that the home countries of each currency trade in. Thus, the GBPUSD and EURUSD will be most active during the London and US sessions (especially during the overlap) and least active when both those markets are closed (much of the Asian session).

AUSJPY would tend to be most active during the Asian session, when the Sydney and Tokyo sessions overlap.

USDCAD has it's highest activity during the New York Session.

As always, these are general guidelines and strange things have been known to happen.
:D

Back