Possible scam?

mybusiness

Recruit
Hello,

first of all, I'm not a trader, but I do work as executive so I can potentially be a target of a scam.

I live in a large European city, and recently I have seen many girls from China using Tinder Passport. I matched with a few. I have been in contact with two in particular.

The first one was legit. She didn't speak about trading at all, and when she has seen I wasn't really interested, she unmatched. Legit.

Another one, instead, claims to be from Taiwan and have a beauty salon. She asked me what I do for a living, and when I said, she asked me if I had shares in the company I work for, and if I make a lot of money. My answers are always generic because I'm a suspicious person and I do not like to take risks.

She immediately unmatched me on Tinder when we moved the conversation on WhatsApp, and she asked for a picture. She doesn't seem to speak with many people, at least on the number I have, because she has default settings on WhatsApp and I can see when she was connected the last time.

She send me some pictures when I asked. She asked me about my hobbies, and when I asked about her hobbies, she told me she does yoga and she is only interested in investment. When I asked which investments, she told me simply: "fx". She didn't add anything.

On the contrary we have spoken about travels. I asked her if she ever visited my city, and I said her she is welcome to visit. She replied: "At present, my family won't let me go abroad. I'll come to see you when my recent investment projects make more money." But once again, I didn't ask any question about these investments.

She instead invited me to her place in Taiwan. She asked me when I was planning to visit her and I told her in September. And I asked her if she could host me, if I could stay at her place. And she told me: "I'm sure I'll treat you when you come. I've made a lot of money in MT5 recently. Come on! I'll show you around.".

This is the first and only time she mentioned MT5. But once again, I didn't ask any question. Then, immediately after, she asked me: "Have you invested?". Which I didn't answer. I just said that money is not a problem because I have my own. Then she also told me we can go to China together for a few days.

I asked her to have a video call and she agreed. But she told me she can't really speak English. Then she told me she would tell me when we could have the video call later today, but then she didn't write me anymore, and it's now 1 AM in Taiwan, so I don't think this call is going to happen.

I looked up for her phone number on internet, and I found the number has the international prefix of Hong Kong, not Taiwan. So I asked her why, and so far she didn't answer, but she still didn't read the message.

I read about a huge scam in which a girl scammed a man, 54 years old, for $120k after he left his wife to be with her. It happened in Hong Kong. Might this be the same schema? Maybe she wants to invite me there, show me how she makes money on MT5, then convince me to invest?

I will keep you posted.

Hello,

first of all, I'm not a trader, but I do work as executive so I can potentially be a target of a scam.

I live in a large European city, and recently I have seen many girls from China using Tinder Passport. I matched with a few. I have been in contact with two in particular.

The first one was legit. She didn't speak about trading at all, and when she has seen I wasn't really interested, she unmatched. Legit.

Another one, instead, claims to be from Taiwan and have a beauty salon. She asked me what I do for a living, and when I said, she asked me if I had shares in the company I work for, and if I make a lot of money. My answers are always generic because I'm a suspicious person and I do not like to take risks.

She immediately unmatched me on Tinder when we moved the conversation on WhatsApp, and she asked for a picture. She doesn't seem to speak with many people, at least on the number I have, because she has default settings on WhatsApp and I can see when she was connected the last time.

She send me some pictures when I asked. She asked me about my hobbies, and when I asked about her hobbies, she told me she does yoga and she is only interested in investment. When I asked which investments, she told me simply: "fx". She didn't add anything.

On the contrary we have spoken about travels. I asked her if she ever visited my city, and I said her she is welcome to visit. She replied: "At present, my family won't let me go abroad. I'll come to see you when my recent investment projects make more money." But once again, I didn't ask any question about these investments.

She instead invited me to her place in Taiwan. She asked me when I was planning to visit her and I told her in September. And I asked her if she could host me, if I could stay at her place. And she told me: "I'm sure I'll treat you when you come. I've made a lot of money in MT5 recently. Come on! I'll show you around.".

This is the first and only time she mentioned MT5. But once again, I didn't ask any question. Then, immediately after, she asked me: "Have you invested?". Which I didn't answer. I just said that money is not a problem because I have my own. Then she also told me we can go to China together for a few days.

I asked her to have a video call and she agreed. But she told me she can't really speak English. Then she told me she would tell me when we could have the video call later today, but then she didn't write me anymore, and it's now 1 AM in Taiwan, so I don't think this call is going to happen.

I looked up for her phone number on internet, and I found the number has the international prefix of Hong Kong, not Taiwan. So I asked her why, and so far she didn't answer, but she still didn't read the message.

I read about a huge scam in which a girl scammed a man, 54 years old, for $120k after he left his wife to be with her. It happened in Hong Kong. Might this be the same schema? Maybe she wants to invite me there, show me how she makes money on MT5, then convince me to invest?

I will keep you posted.
Read this https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/community/threads/mffeex-com.65764/ to get the ideas about victims :(

There is an update. The girl said to me she has an Hong Kong phone number because her parents live in Hong Kong and she is there often. We had a video call, and she is legit, she is really the girl in the pictures. It wasn't a video, but a real time video call on WhatsApp, in which we talked also, so I'm 100% positive she is the girl in the pictures. The call wasn't planned, so she is legit. She invited me there and she told me I can stay as much as I want since she is not so busy. She said to me she goes once a day in her beauty salon and she check MT5. But she didn't push on the topic. My impression is that she wants me to go there, make me trust her and then ask me to invest. This girl is really young, I think 23, how possibly can she go through with a scam like this? I do not intend to invest anything or to use MT5, but I'm considering to visit her. I have never been to China. What should I do? Should I tell her that I'm interested in her but not the trading and my money is already invested somewhere else? Or should I just play the game and go there?

Hello,

I will keep you posted.

Thanks for sharing. These "girls" are everywhere. Now that you know the game hold them as long as possible if you have free time, so that they don't go and make another victims to fall for their tricks. I'm surprised she hasn't talk about an uncle or family member who's an analyst and that always make money no matter how bad the market is.

That HK scam that you talked about is a bit different. This one that you encountered is quick and can drain as much money as possible without any interaction. It all lies/fake when they said they can meet up with you. The timeline is always in 2 months because they are sure that by then either they've scammed you or both of you have given up.

Stay safe and report them right away when they moved you out of those dating apps.

There is an update. The girl said to me she has an Hong Kong phone number because her parents live in Hong Kong and she is there often. We had a video call, and she is legit, she is really the girl in the pictures. It wasn't a video, but a real time video call on WhatsApp, in which we talked also, so I'm 100% positive she is the girl in the pictures. The call wasn't planned, so she is legit. She invited me there and she told me I can stay as much as I want since she is not so busy. She said to me she goes once a day in her beauty salon and she check MT5. But she didn't push on the topic. My impression is that she wants me to go there, make me trust her and then ask me to invest. This girl is really young, I think 23, how possibly can she go through with a scam like this? I do not intend to invest anything or to use MT5, but I'm considering to visit her. I have never been to China. What should I do? Should I tell her that I'm interested in her but not the trading and my money is already invested somewhere else? Or should I just play the game and go there?

A video at least is proof that your "girl" isn't a 50 something year old guy. But, that's not proof that she's not out to scam you.

No matter what she says, no matter how insanely profitable her trading appears to be, keep your wallet tightly closed. If you can do that, go ahead and have fun.

I recommend against buying a ticket anywhere without checking the latest quarantine regulations. You may end up spending 14 or so days in quarantine before getting a chance to go on a date.

Who know. Maybe in addition to thousands of scammers on dating sites, there really is a girl who trades for herself and doesn't want to take your money. If she really respects "You do your investments your way and I do my investments my way", you'll be ahead of a lot of married couples. :D

Who know. Maybe in addition to thousands of scammers on dating sites, there really is a girl who trades for herself and doesn't want to take your money. If she really respects "You do your investments your way and I do my investments my way", you'll be ahead of a lot of married couples. :D

We have spoken about this, I have been straightforward with her today. I told her, a friend of mine got scammed on MT5 (which is not true) and because of that I did a research and I found about many scams. The message was more elaborate, but this is the meaning.

Then I have been very clear about my goals, and how I intend to use my money.

She replied: "I didn't ask you to invest in MT5! It's all my own operation of FX. I never ask anyone to invest with me, whether it's loss or gain."

Do I believe her? Well, not really, but I made it clear I'm not interested in forex. If she was trying to scam me, she would have closed the conversation there, I suppose. Instead she was upset because I didn't trust her, but she still wants me to visit her. She might be genuine. This is not the first Asian I match on Tinder, another one was definitely legit. She had a baby, a coffee shop, and she has never spoken to me about investments.

I checked, there is no quarantine and there is no visa either for me.

In any case, the only thing I'm keen to open for her is my zip, sure not my wallet.

"No Money No Honey" in many of these cases. How to tell if you won't get kidnapped and ransomed by her gang of brothers if you meet her in a 'private setting'?

from around the 8th minute onwards - might be a fun watch..

Of course she could be fully legit. But until you truly know, never go to a secluded place or room with her. A typical ruse is that she will either suddenly open the door, where her gang would storm in, or perhaps have arranged for her gang to have access to the room while it is unlatched.

No I don't have personal experience of this, but I know this region and watch plenty of scam videos out of the region :)

I have seen the video. I have done online dating for over twenty years, much before Tinder or dating apps, just using a text chat, on IRC (Internet Relay Chat). I slept with a lot of girls back in the days. I have never been scammed, but I have been catfished a few times, from ugly or very large women who pretended to be someone else. It happens. Nowadays it's much more easy to find out if they are catfish, you just do a video call.

I have also been on a few dates with girl who were just interested in my money. They weren't taking commission, but they were very demanding. These girls are everywhere, in every big city in Europe. It's ok to provide if you get something in return, but most likely they want you to provide for nothing.

This asian girl I met on Tinder looks legit. She is the girl in the pictures, so she is not a catfish, and I don't know what she can achieve if I visit her. Hosting someone is not a joke, I mean, you have to live with the person for a couple of weeks. Also, she is not very active on WhatsApp. When she is on line is because she is writing to me. Scammers usually work on many contacts at the same time. So she is not trying to scam anyone else in Europe. We do not use WeChat or LINE here.

Anyway, I still didn't decide if I'm going there or not: ticket is expensive and it takes so long to get there. Plus, in many parts of China there is still quarantine, and I'm not willing to stay 2 weeks in Taiwan. At the same time I don't want to go there for just a week, because it takes so long to get there. At the moment I'm not so interested.

But until you truly know, never go to a secluded place or room with her. A typical ruse is that she will either suddenly open the door, where her gang would storm in, or perhaps have arranged for her gang to have access to the room while it is unlatched.
This makes no sense, to be honest. What can they get, my credit card? My laptop? I need 2 minutes to block them all and report to the police. I don't travel with cash.

Back