• Please try to select the correct prefix when making a new thread in this folder.

Discuss is for general discussions of a financial company or issues related to companies.

Info is for things like "Has anyone heard of Company X?" or "Is Company X legit or not?"

Compare is for things like "Which of these 2 (or more) companies is best?"

Searching is for things like "Help me pick a broker" or "What's the best VPS out there for trading?"

Problem is for reporting an issue with a company. Please don't just scream "CompanyX is a scam!" It is much more useful to say "I can't withdraw my money from Company X" or "Company Y is not honoring their refund guarantee" in the subject line.
    Keep Problem discussions civil and lay out the facts of your case. Your goal should be to get your problem resolved or reported to the regulators, not to see how many insults you can put into the thread.

More info coming soon.

Problem Potential Grindr scam (goldbitcapital.com)

I am having an issue with a company

reachingx

Recruit
I just wanted to share my story.

I'm a gay man living in Virginia, in the US. I use Grindr to meet guys. It's a location based app - so you can tell when people are nearby. There was a very handsome man who tapped me on the app so I messaged him. He said he was from Singapore and was visiting his mother who emigrated to Harrisonburg. I thought it seemed a little random - moving halfway across the world to this town of all places, but I suppose anything's possible. We took the conversation pretty quickly to WhatsApp and he checked in with me every day for the last almost 2 weeks. I was very flattered that he would check in with me - and we talked about food, travel, animals, family, work.

He started telling me about his investments with forex and sent me screen shots of some profits he made. After reading some of the stories on this site, I'm 99% certain he was trying to scam me. He said he had an advisor who he worked with for trades, and offered to help advise me. I applied for a new account through a broker - the website is goldbitcapital.com - I had so much trouble uploading my picture but finally it seemed to go through. I gave basic information like name, phone number, and email. I also gave my driver's license number, and that is the photo that I uploaded.

I didn't receive a confirmation or deposit any money, but today he messaged me saying that my account was approved and asked if I got an email. I immediately felt something was off - how would he know that I was approved? I also was already having some red flags - feeling like he was a little too good to be true - looked like a model - wanted to chat every day even though he was thousands of miles away.

I checked his profile on Grindr again (I had marked him as a favorite) and it appeared he was only 900 miles away. Then when I asked him about it, he was suddenly 3000 miles away or so. Anyways, I'm so glad I didn't get scammed, but am frustrated that this happens to people, and suddenly they lose thousands of dollars.

I'm a gay man living in Virginia, in the US. I use Grindr to meet guys. It's a location based app - so you can tell when people are nearby. There was a very handsome man who tapped me on the app so I messaged him. He said he was from Singapore and was visiting his mother who emigrated to Harrisonburg. I thought it seemed a little random - moving halfway across the world to this town of all places, but I suppose anything's possible. We took the conversation pretty quickly to WhatsApp and he checked in with me every day for the last almost 2 weeks. I was very flattered that he would check in with me - and we talked about food, travel, animals, family, work.

He started telling me about his investments with forex and sent me screen shots of some profits he made. After reading some of the stories on this site, I'm 99% certain he was trying to scam me. He said he had an advisor who he worked with for trades, and offered to help advise me. I applied for a new account through a broker - the website is goldbitcapital.com - I had so much trouble uploading my picture but finally it seemed to go through. I gave basic information like name, phone number, and email. I also gave my driver's license number, and that is the photo that I uploaded.

I didn't receive a confirmation or deposit any money, but today he messaged me saying that my account was approved and asked if I got an email. I immediately felt something was off - how would he know that I was approved? I also was already having some red flags - feeling like he was a little too good to be true - looked like a model - wanted to chat every day even though he was thousands of miles away.

I checked his profile on Grindr again (I had marked him as a favorite) and it appeared he was only 900 miles away. Then when I asked him about it, he was suddenly 3000 miles away or so. Anyways, I'm so glad I didn't get scammed, but am frustrated that this happens to people, and suddenly they lose thousands of dollars.
Thank God you saved your money by not letting the scammer rip off. STAY AWAY brother, this is the typical scam going on in the world.

Thank God you saved your money by not letting the scammer rip off. STAY AWAY brother, this is the typical scam going on in the world.
Thank you. Should I be worried about identity theft since I submitted a picture of my drivers license?

Thank you. Should I be worried about identity theft since I submitted a picture of my drivers license?
You are most welcome and I don't think so that you have to worry about the docs you have submitted but next time makes sure you don't repeat this mistake again. Best of luck :)

Yes, I recommend to setup credit monitoring with Experian, Transunion or Equifax. The scammers have been known to commit identify theft. Also maybe consider getting a new license when you have time. It's likely the scammer is using a Google Voice number, or other digital phone number, where they are spoofing their location via available apps (could also be a server location with auto-switching of the IP being utilized).

Last edited:
W

Well done for not getting scammed. I bet they have conned a lot of people in the past.

Back