1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on Leverage

Discussion in 'General Forex Talk' started by Princepessa, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Princepessa

Princepessa Private

Hello Everyone,
    I have a question. I just opened a live account which carries a leverage of 500:1. It does have an option to change this leverage though. However since I plan on trading a maximum lot size of 2000 for every $1000 in my account, does it matter if I don't change this leverage to something lower like say 200:1?

2. Rey Johnson

Rey Johnson Recruit

To trade $100,000 of currency, with a margin of 1%, you will only have to deposit $1,000 into your margin account.

Example: leverage of 200:1 means that for each dollar invested a broker adds 200 dollars on top, making the trading account 200 times larger. Thus, funding your account with $1000 at 200:1 leverage would enable you to operate a $200,000 account. Leverage is your trading margin account.

Leverage requires you to put up a small percentage of the total trading lot. As an example if the leverage was 100:1 and you wanted to trade $100,000 worth of currency on a margin of 1%, your required deposit would only be $1,000.

You need to manage your account wisely so you have plenty of margin in reserve at all times during a trade. If you use too much margin during a trade you could get stopped out if a sudden move against your trade dips deeply into your margin. Using a STOP on your trade at a wisely chosen level will protect your margin if there is a sudden market change that would go against your trade.

Hope this helps with your question!

3. Cesil

Cesil Private, 1st Class

500:1 Is an insane amount of leverage. Using the full amount would require balls of steel IMO...

4. Princepessa

Princepessa Private

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Cesil, I have absolutely no intention of using the full amount. For me each $1000 in my account will trade a maximum of 2000(2 micro lots).