Question on Leverage

Princepessa

Private
Hello Everyone,
I have a question. I just opened a live account which carries a leverage of 500:1. It does have an option to change this leverage though. However since I plan on trading a maximum lot size of 2000 for every $1000 in my account, does it matter if I don't change this leverage to something lower like say 200:1?

To trade $100,000 of currency, with a margin of 1%, you will only have to deposit $1,000 into your margin account.

Example: leverage of 200:1 means that for each dollar invested a broker adds 200 dollars on top, making the trading account 200 times larger. Thus, funding your account with $1000 at 200:1 leverage would enable you to operate a $200,000 account. Leverage is your trading margin account.

Leverage requires you to put up a small percentage of the total trading lot. As an example if the leverage was 100:1 and you wanted to trade $100,000 worth of currency on a margin of 1%, your required deposit would only be $1,000.

You need to manage your account wisely so you have plenty of margin in reserve at all times during a trade. If you use too much margin during a trade you could get stopped out if a sudden move against your trade dips deeply into your margin. Using a STOP on your trade at a wisely chosen level will protect your margin if there is a sudden market change that would go against your trade.

Hope this helps with your question!

500:1 Is an insane amount of leverage. Using the full amount would require balls of steel IMO...

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Cesil, I have absolutely no intention of using the full amount. For me each $1000 in my account will trade a maximum of 2000(2 micro lots).

Back