Redundant internet connections

zingcal

Private
I'm currently running a desktop and multi monitors connected through an APC battery back up system but it occured to me that I also need a battery backup for my router so that's next on my "to purchase" list. I would also like to install a secondary internet connnection from a different ISP provider. I now have DSL and so would add cable. Is anyone familiar with the hardware / approximate costs required to accomplish such a feat? And could you suggest any specific manufacturer and models? Many thanks

I have an idea that might save you money if your circumstances are right. If you live in an apartment or subdivision, you may have a neighbor who has a cable connection. If so, both of you can buy a wireless hub/router and wireless network cards for any computers that need them. You connect yours to your DSL connection, your neighbor connects to the cable connection. You configure all the computers to connect with each set to primarily connect to "local" connection, but capable of enabling the other connection with just a few mouseclicks.
Just remember to enable WEP, or both of you could find all your bandwidth eaten by other neighbors who are surfing for free.

If you have enough Wattage capacity on your existing UPS you can also use it for your router, if adding it is not exciding UPS's capacity.

There are several ways it could be done.
1) Manual (Least expensive).
Get second connection using low cost router and use NAT on both. Configure both routers using same IP block in NAT for the inside, but don't connect two router together in any way or their IPs will conflict with each other and nether will work properly. That way you will have two functioning networks where you can use first for every day work and if it looses connection you can just replug devices including your PC to second connection and everything will work within a second again. But obviously it depends on you being at your PC and being able to detect that you lost connection and replug connections. Usually it could be done in about 10-15 seconds.

2) Automatic Software switching. (Low cost) If you absolutely have to have it happen automatically and without your intervention but only need your PCs to switch to secondary connection you can get software that would do the detection of internet loss and switching to alternative connection. You would still need second low cost router for your second connection, but it would need to be configured differently than the first and your PC would need to be connected into both via ethernet switch or hub. Obviously devices that can't run such software would not be able to automatically switched to a working internet connection if primary they are configured to be connected to is not working. Google for such software and it will also have explanation of how to configure your network.

3) Service provider way. (from Very to Extremely expensive $1,500+)
Service providers need everything to work instantaneously and automatically that is why they would use high-end routers connect both connections to it and let router detect internet loss and switch between connections. In this configuration all PCs and devices would automatically be switched to secondary connection without needing being reconfigured.

Last edited:
If you have enough Wattage capacity on your existing UPS you can also use it for your router, if adding it is not exciding UPS's capacity.

2) Automatic Software switching. (Low cost) If you absolutely have to have it happen automatically and without your intervention but only need your PCs to switch to secondary connection you can get software that would do the detection of internet loss and switching to alternative connection. You would still need second low cost router for your second connection, but it would need to be configured differently than the first and your PC would need to be connected into both via ethernet switch or hub. Obviously devices that can't run such software would not be able to automatically switched to a working internet connection if primary they are configured to be connected to is not working. Google for such software and it will also have explanation of how to configure your network.

Tks AlexTrader. These were the options I was interested in exploring. For me it would have to be automatic so I'll look in to Option 2. My UPS is already handling 2 computers and 4 monitors and has battery for about a 25 minute power outage. This concerna and the fact my router is positioned too far from this UPS is why I'm planning to purchase a 2nd UPS.

Back