Resolved - Oanda wont return $2000 Deposit

willyrio

Recruit
Oanda USA wont return deposit.
I will summarize my dispute with Oanda and then proceed to the next step with Forex Traders Court in hopes that I can get this issue resolved before proceeding to the next steps.

Deposit: $2000 dollar check received by Oanda and deposited into their account (not mine) on 2016-10-21 as per my Oanda Account Info.

Misunderstanding: this bank account would require additional docs due to this being my business banking account. I provided bank statement and all docs required by Oanda previously but thought it would be better to use my personal banking account instead. (My fault) So requested that they return the funds and I would reissue a check under my personal account.

their reply via email:

October 21 2016
-------------------------------------
OANDA FXTrade notification
Reference Number: 13731466
Action: Deposit
Account: XXXXXX
Amount: 2000.00 USD

Your request has been denied.

Dear William,
This email is to advise you that a refund check has been issued. It should arrive shortly. Please ensure that in the future if you wish to fund your account please make sure the funds are debited from an account that is registered in your name.

If you have any questions regarding this transaction, please do not hesitate to contact us and quote the above transaction number.

Kind Regards,

OANDA FXTrade Team
http://fxtrade.oanda.com/

Okay no problems...after a few weeks many emails later with no check I realize that they sent the check to the wrong address. (Again partially my fault, although my Oanda Account, and Bank Statement provided to Oanda had the correct address. For some reason they used the old address listed on the check. Rarely write checks in this day and age and didn't even cross my mind to have new checks issued)

Oanda's response:

November 3, 2016

Case Number: XXXXXXX
Case Subject: Returned Cheque
Dear William,

I understand we sent the return check to an old address used by XXXXX. I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience. We returned the funds back to the address that appeared on the check image we received.
We are now in the process of recalling the funds. Once the funds are credited back to our account we will then be able to issue a new check using the updated address. Its my understanding that the address we should use is...
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
USA
Can you please confirm this is correct.
Our client experience team is here to help 24 hours a day from Sunday at 1 p.m. EST to Friday at 6 p.m. EST. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate tocontact us.

Build your Forex trading knowledge

It is my pleasure to assist you,
Kevin
Client Experience Team

I confirmed the address via email was correct.

I will not post all the emails which I will in the Traders Court but brief summary:

November then December no check.

Emails - wheres my check????

Oanda Account Manager gets replaced with new person.

Emails finally no longer getting response from new account manager.

Live Chat with Oanda:
(In short) wheres my check? In the mail tomorrow be there next week

2 weeks later
Live Chat with Oanda:

Its now December 29 2016 as of the date of this submission and still no refund.

By my count that is 70 days with out access to my money. I can understand a couple of weeks for the confusion with the address but again not fully my responsibility.

Oanda USA wont return deposit.
I will summarize my dispute with Oanda and then proceed to the next step with Forex Traders Court in hopes that I can get this issue resolved before proceeding to the next steps.

Deposit: $2000 dollar check received by Oanda and deposited into their account (not mine) on 2016-10-21 as per my Oanda Account Info.

Misunderstanding: this bank account would require additional docs due to this being my business banking account. I provided bank statement and all docs required by Oanda previously but thought it would be better to use my personal banking account instead. (My fault) So requested that they return the funds and I would reissue a check under my personal account.

their reply via email:

October 21 2016
OANDA FXTrade notification
Reference Number: 13731466
Action: Deposit
Account: XXXXXX
Amount: 2000.00 USD

Your request has been denied.

Dear William,
This email is to advise you that a refund check has been issued. It should arrive shortly. Please ensure that in the future if you wish to fund your account please make sure the funds are debited from an account that is registered in your name.

If you have any questions regarding this transaction, please do not hesitate to contact us and quote the above transaction number.

Kind Regards,

OANDA FXTrade Team
http://fxtrade.oanda.com/

Okay no problems...after a few weeks many emails later with no check I realize that they sent the check to the wrong address. (Again partially my fault, although my Oanda Account, and Bank Statement provided to Oanda had the correct address. For some reason they used the old address listed on the check. Rarely write checks in this day and age and didn't even cross my mind to have new checks issued)

Oanda's response:

November 3, 2016

Case Number: XXXXXXX
Case Subject: Returned Cheque
Dear William,

I understand we sent the return check to an old address used by XXXXX. I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience. We returned the funds back to the address that appeared on the check image we received.
We are now in the process of recalling the funds. Once the funds are credited back to our account we will then be able to issue a new check using the updated address. Its my understanding that the address we should use is...
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
USA
Can you please confirm this is correct.
Our client experience team is here to help 24 hours a day from Sunday at 1 p.m. EST to Friday at 6 p.m. EST. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate tocontact us.

Kevin
Client Experience Team

I confirmed the address via email was correct.

I will not post all the emails which I will in the Traders Court but brief summary:

November then December no check.

Emails - wheres my check????

Oanda Account Manager gets replaced with new person.

Emails finally no longer getting response from new account manager.

Live Chat with Oanda:

2 weeks later
Live Chat with Oanda:

Its now December 29 2016 as of the date of this submission and still no refund.

By my count that is 70 days with out access to my money. I can understand a couple of weeks for the confusion with the address but again not fully my responsibility.

Few steps that you must follow to draw their attention to your issue,
Follow the suggested steps below:

If you deposited your money via credit card then contact the credit card customer care asap and ask them to file a chargeback.
Invite them to join this thread via email (Send an email to every possible address).

Go to their website and invite them to here via Live Chat
You will find their email and address https://www.oanda.com/resources/about/contact/
Also, Share your story as a review here https://www.forexpeacearmy.com/forex-reviews/88/www.oanda.com

You can also share your story on their social media pages mentioned below:

https://www.facebook.com/OANDAfx / (Click on MORE and you will find write review option there)
https://twitter.com/OANDA
https://www.youtube.com/oanda
https://plus.google.com/+oanda/posts

PS: Don’t forget to edit your thread or review when your issue get shorted out.

In the instance of a wire or other electronic funds transfer, you can just sent the funds back to the source. But with a check, they should have been more careful to either use the address on file with the account, or especially in a case where the address is different on check vs account, to seek clarification as to which address to return the funds to.

Especially since they actually cashed the check. I could see if they were returning the original check un-cashed. Then you could just cancel it yourself.

I'm guessing they cashed that original check already. If they won't either put the money in your trading account or sent the money back to where it came from, a long chat with their regulator may be necessary.

Finally received response to my invite on Fpa. Frustrating to say the least if not criminal. Here it is:

Case Number: 003xxxx
Case Subject: Deposit
Dear william,

Thank you for contacting OANDA.

This is an email to inform you that the check was already returned to you. Please do understand for accounts under our U.S division we do not accept third party deposit or credit card. If you are trying to deposit your funds please either use bank wire transfer or debit card deposit. For more information on deposits please refer to our deposit page here:
https://oanda.secure.force.com/AnswersSupport?urlName=Deposit-Funds-with-OANDA-1436196417829

Yun
Client Experience Team

I have just completed a review for Oanda here on FPA.

I have also submitted complaints to the NFA and CFTC.

Will see how it goes.

If the mod is reading this one post is under review pending mod approval. I think I cant have a link in the post which is one provided for in Oanda response to me. If its okay please mod delete to link if its against tos...sorry

I edited the links out of the post so this doesn't get confusing.
This is the reply email from Oanda when I invited them to reply to this thread which why I took the actions in the post above.

Case Number: 003xxxx

Case Subject: Deposit

Dear william,Thank you for contacting OANDA.

This is an email to inform you that the check was already returned to you. Please do understand for accounts under our U.S division we do not accept third party deposit or credit card. If you are trying to deposit your funds please either use bank wire transfer or debit card deposit. For more information on deposits please refer to our deposit page here:

Our client experience team is here to help 24 hours a day from Sunday at 1 p.m. EST to Friday at 6 p.m. EST. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

It is my pleasure to assist you, Yun

Client Experience Team

This is my reply to Mr. Yun

Mr. Yun,

I have not received anything from Oanda and this started October 21 2016. I have filed a complaint with the NFA and CFTC as of today. I will not stop there by any means until I have receive my money. I would strongly suggest you don't mail as I have been told many times but overnight my check via postal certified or similar means that can be tracked. I will pay no fees for this cost.

You may reply to Forex Peace Army thread (this threads link) regarding this issue. I will in the next few days submit to the FPA Court to have your company declared a scam.

Do not consider this to be the end. Any consumer watchdog site will also be notified.

Very disappointing in a company that once was considered the best in the USA.

William

Back