Risk %

Hi, hoping for some advice on Risk % on a stop loss position.

I have read much and see advice and recommendations from 1% to 5% generally (with some in my opinion foolish people not using a stop loss at all, but each to their own).

I would be interested to hear from others about what % you risk and your reasoning for that level?
Also, do you always stick to that percentage risk or do you change it based on any ohter factors, like Risk : Reward?
Reading all the reply post, I think it's not suitable for me to post a reply here as my reply might give conservative and sound-of-mind Traders a heart attack.
But, all replies here are very sensible, well grounded, and good for the health of their trading accounts.

Cheers and may the pips be with you!

Reading all the reply post, I think it's not suitable for me to post a reply here as my reply might give conservative and sound-of-mind Traders a heart attack.
But, all replies here are very sensible, well grounded, and good for the health of their trading accounts.

All views and experience is welcome.......?

I would like to hear your opinion here... Please! :D

I would like to hear your opinion here... Please! :D
Okay....just for you!
I supposed you should either remembered or have seen my post somewhere in the kingdom of the FPA where I posted that I only use SL at the end of my name.

My RATIONAL (with big lettering yah) is based on the logic of unnecessarily lost of money when I can recoup the temporary lose or losses by injecting more money (if required) into the trading account because we know (or should know) that what go up will eventually come down, and what go down will also eventually go back up.
Unless of course I pick a real bummer pair which go up or down and stayed at that level. But of course, we (or at least myself) has never seen that happened except on the USD/CHF pair which I don't trade at all. And I limit my trade (at least, I think, for the last 3 or so years) to only one, or at most, two curcurrency pair at any one time which makes gives me much better control of my trading account.
So, why the need to lose money if money can buy more money?

Of course conservative and strict follow-the-rules Traders are probably rushing for the oxygen tank or have fainted reading my trading system, BUT, and like I have said, we all need to try different trading system and settle on the one that makes the most sense to us, am comfortable with, and can trade that system without even thinking too much about it and sweating over whether our analysis is correct because we should have full confidence in ourselves and not make trade based on some "Experts" who, for all we know, probably used tea-leaves and bone reading technique to predict market movements.

I still cannot get over that guy who, some time back, came here to the FPA trying to promote market movements based on astrology and the movements and alignment of planets. That really takes the cake!

Sometimes I like to read from expert opinion, and there are certain story from a successful trader that he suggested just take a risk less than 2%, but I forget the name this guy, the logic minds with this number limit risk will giving rest more opportunities to try again, meanwhile, if take higher risk, how to recovery is more hardest.

Back