1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rollover questions

Discussion in 'General Forex Talk' started by Caoimhin, May 26, 2010.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Recruit

I tend to be a longer term trader so the rollover is a big consideration for me.

As of now (26 May, 1140 EDT) one dealer (my current equities broker) is showing rollover on a 100k lot of the EURAUD as Long -19.08 and Short 10.79 - that's close to a 2:1 differential (the roll for last Thursday was -48.20 / 40.03, not quite as large). I understand that money is going to stick to any dealer's fingers, but this differential seems a bit much.

My questions are:
    Is this roll spread skew comparable to other dealers?
    Is the roll spread a factor in selecting a dealer, assuming one is a carry / long term trader?

TIA

2. Pharaoh

Pharaoh Colonel

Positive swap is almost always significantly less than negative swap. A small amount of this difference might be legitimate broker expenses. The rest is pure profit for the broker.

Sometimes, you'll find a pair that's negative both ways, just more negative in one direction.

If you plan to frequently hold positions for extended periods, you definitely need to check swap rates when selecting a broker.

3. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Recruit

Thanks Pharaoh. I did a little looking around and, for the dealers that would show rollover without opening a demo acct, the rollover was in line with what I'm seeing at my broker. It doesn't look like this is much of a discriminator between dealers, but definitely a factor to consider in trades.