Signals Review August 23~27, 2010

Henry Liu

Former FPA Special Consultant
Hey folks:

This week was not good to our news trading strategy because of the heavy risk aversion market during early week. Pretty much the entire market remained on the sidelines after the intial exaggerated movement. I understand sometimes when we look at trading we approaching it from a scientific point of view where we look for cause and effect... When we confine our perspective to just news releases, we don't see other causes that move the market, and market did precisely that as it failed to react to fundamental news events but was driven by risk sentiments.

There is always a battle between the forces of good and evil, eh... fundamental and sentiment. On one hand, a good fundamental event in the U.S. may lead to a stronger USD, but on the other hand, a strong news out of U.S. could also lead to risk appetite, and it will drive down demands for safe-haven USD currency and drive up demands for high yield currencies (AUD, NZD, EUR, CAD, etc...).

News trading became popular just recently and most traders base their trading plan on the premise that market reacts to fundamental outlook, and often ignore risk sentiments. However, I do believe to be a balanced trader, one should pay attention to both.

1. Tue August 24, 2010 8:30am EDT - CA Core Retail Sales
Historical Chart & Data - Hit Trigger But Market Stalled

2. Tue August 24, 2010 10:00am EDT - U.S. Existing Home Sales
Historical Chart & Data - Hit Trigger But Market Stalled

3. Wed August 25, 2010 10:00am EDT - U.S. New Home Sales
Historical Chart & Data - No Trade

4. Fri August 27, 2010 4:30am EDT - UK Revised GDP q/q
Historical Chart & Data No Trade

5. Fri August 27, 2010 8:30am EDT - US Prelim GDP q/q
Historical Chart & Data No Trade

Total Pips From News Trading: 0

Both of my weekly trend recommendations weren't picked up. The direction was right during the early week, but the overall trading conditions were too choppy.

Also there were no pre-news calls made this week, especially after what took place with that BOE fiasco. Therefore no pips were made on pre-news this week.

Thanks,

henry-sig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The market has been acting a bit wierd in the past two weeks, hopefully this week will be a better week for trading news..

Yup - not a nice week!

In the interests of transparency & openness (may be of interest to newbies like myself?), here's how I did in news trading:

1. Tue August 24, 2010 8:30am EDT - CA Core Retail Sales
-12 pips

2. Tue August 24, 2010 10:00am EDT - U.S. Existing Home Sales
-20 pips.

Huwee.

help

Hello Henry
congratulations for the great review and indications, but due to lack of time to operate, I need forex account manager
Could you tell me good companies or managers who work with management of forex accounts?
thank you,
chris
please send me private email: cmcshm bol com br

Back